Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Museums In Balboa Park In San Diego - Which Ones Worth It?

Old Oct 6th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There are numerous ones to pick from and I know we won't be able to see them all. For those of you who have been to Balboa Park, which museums are really worth the time to explore?
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 12:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in San Diego, and before I answer, will you be travelling with children? I have mostly only visited the museums with my children, ages 2 & 5. Their favorites are Natural History, RH Fleet Science and Model RR. They also like the Aerospace and Auto. I also like the Art Museum.

Every Tuesday has different museums that are free. Here is the website with the schedule: http://www.balboapark.org/visitors.html#freetuesday
Also there is a pass for $30 that gets you into most museums over a 7 day period. There is also a pass which includes the SD Zoo for $55.

I hope this helps, if you have any more specific questions, I'll try to answer but I haven't explored all the museums there.

Happy planning!
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 01:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with all of Emily's suggestions, even without kids! On Sundays, one of the houses in the House of Pacific Relations puts on a lawn show with entertainment from their country. Each House has snacks available and while not a "must see", it's quite interesting to wander around.

Also, you can stop by the Prado restaurant for drinks and appetizers in their bar.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info, ladies. No children for us, but I know the museums that kids like, we would as well! ;-) Besides the ones mentioned, I'm also interested in seeing -

Japanese Friendship Garden
Museum of San Diego History
Veteran's Museum and Memorial Center

Any opinions on those? Approximately how much time should be allowed to see the ones that you have? Many thanks!
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 12:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IndianaNative, we have walked past the Japanese friendship garden many times but it didn't look worth it to check it out. (Just my opinion, we saw a better-looking Japanese garden somewhere else.)

Balboa Park in general has pleasant ground to walk over. Also there's a small botanical garden which is free, inside a green-house type enclosure. You only need about 30 minutes for this garden.

I believe the Museum of San Diego History is relatively small, maybe 1 hour is long enough.

The Museum of Man is my favorite. Natural history museum is hubby's favorite but he's a biologist. For each of these museums allow about 2 hours each.

There is a nice restaurant in Balboa Park, with a pleasant outdoor seating area in nice weather. Darn, can't remember the name...It's the biggest restaurant in Balboa Park. Sometimes they have wedding there. Casa del Prado? Sorry can somebody help not sure if I've got the name right! We like lunch at the outdoor restaurant in good weather.

Enjoy. did you know the San diego zoo is right next door? However you will be too tired to do both in one day.

The RH Fleet Science center also has a good film every day, in one of those round theatres...see what's playing. something educational.

on weekends you will see musicians performing throughout the park. As someone mentioned on sundays the little cottages near the House of Pacific relations are open for tea and cookies and sometimes there's a free dance performance. Also in Balboa Park.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Melissa5, thanks for the information. It does help to know ahead of time, approximately how much time to allow. We'll have to check out the film at the Fleet Science center. That sounds interesting, too. We have been to the zoo. A long day, but we loved it!