san diego for a week

Search

san diego for a week

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2006, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
san diego for a week

my wife and i are going to be in san diego for a week in mid january. looking for "out of the way" things to do, already have plans for zoo, la jolla, old town. day trips? neighborhoods to wander? street/farmers markets? local's restaurants?

thanks for your help.
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 06:15 AM

Balboa Park if you are going to the zoo you'll already be in the area many museums and gardens. Coronado is another nice area the Hotel Del Coronado is a good place to tour. The Gaslamp area also the pier tour the Midway.
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 06:21 AM

Don't miss going out to the end of Point Loma for fantastic views, and a rather interesting light house museum.
I liked the Hilltop area for wandering. (Or is it called "Hillview"?)
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 08:50 AM

Take the drive over the bridge to Coronado Island. Miguel's is a nice little place to have a great Mexican meal with friendly service. Go over to the historic Hotel Del Coronado and look around. There is also a free museum in Coronado, a few doors down from the Rhinoceros Cafe that we enjoyed browsing through. Happy New Year! ***kim***
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 11:55 AM

Being an alumnus of that proud organization, I am duty-bound to urge a visit to the San Diego County Sheriff's museum on the edge of Old Town.
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 12:57 PM

It's Hillview, which has any number of nice little shops and good restaurants.
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 01:02 PM

Walk through the military cemetery on Point Loma! Great views.
Many good friends are there.
M
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 01:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's actually Hillcrest.

I agree that the Cabrillo National Monument on Point Loma is a great place to visit. You'll drive through the National Cemetery to get to the Monument.

Mission San Diego de Alcala is interesting to visit. Just don't go on the day the Chargers have a playoff game at Qualcomm Stadium! If you're in town on playoff day, then stay away from the Stadium area (unless you have tickets!)

A nice day trip from San Diego is driving to Julian, an old gold miming town in the Cuyamaca mountains, for lunch.
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

thanks, this ideas give me a lot of things to research.
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 07:43 PM
TahitiTams

Where did you decide to stay in SD?
When in Old Town, go to the Whaley House..Little Italy and Hillcrest are great to wander as well as LJ, Del Mar and Coronado..
Us locals love Rubio's for fish tacos or any taco shop..Point Loma Seafood for a Calamari/Halibut/Sea Bass sandwich or chowder.
Love Cabrillo National Monument that others have suggested and whale watching will be in full force as well.
Torrey Pines State Reserve to hike along the gorgeous trails along the Pacific Ocean.

Old Dec 27th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

actually we are doing a timeshare exchange at the welk place in ESCONDIDO – 35 MILES FROM SAN DIEGO. we first visited california 3 years ago and come to love fish tacos. read about torry pines and it sounds great. thanks for ideas. send more if you think of any. day trips??
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 12:59 PM

Best fish tacos I found during my year in SD.

Ocean Beach, closest to the pier off of Newport Ave, it's called South Beach Bar and Grill. They have varieties of fish to choose from and they are all delicious! Grilled not fried. You'll want 2 or 3 to fill you up. YUM! I miss San Diego just thinking about it!
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 01:25 PM

Thee Bungalow in Ocean Beach may be the best bang for the buck in San Diego.
M
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 01:37 PM

South Beach Bar & Grill is great. Very casual bar, with very good fish tacos.

George's at the Cove in La Jolla also has great fish tacos on the terrace and in the bar. IMO, they are THE best!
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 03:00 PM

B, knew George in Dallas, and they are the best, but too expensive for many.
Maybe George's at the Cove is the best in the US?
We ate there many times in the 80' and '90's (and in '02 and '04 there) - always wonderful.
M
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 03:44 PM

Mike, I agree that the main dining room is very expensive, but the terrace is very affordable. I think they have the prices on the web site.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 03:50 PM

I recommend you take a drive down the coast starting at Carlsbad and going through Leucadia, Encinitas, Cardiff, Solana Beach, Del Mar, to La Jolla. North County coastal communities have a laid back feel and each is distinctive. There are good restaurants, unique shopping experiences, and plenty of places to pull off the road and take in the beach. Solana Beach's Design District is fun to walk around - just one block east of the Coast Highway. Check out previous posts for restaurant ideas. This will keep you busy for a full day. Have fun.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 08:15 PM
RDS

Hike the Torrey Pines State Reserve, ask the Concierge if they don't know it's at the end of the Torrey Pines Golf Course. Very few people go there, it always surprises me how lfew people you run into especially in winter. Park either at the golf course by the driving range or down the hill at the State Park parking (fee of course). If you park at the golf course walk past the driving range and keep left you'll hit a bunch of trails down to the ocean with the most incredible views.

Wander around Hillcrest which is just north of Downtown, west of I-5 (go up Washington and turn right on 4rth-6th aves). Very cool place, plenty of quirky shops, bookstores and the best casual restaurants in SD (i't the "gay" section of SD so if that bothers you then don't go). Best dessert place in SD is Karen Krasne's on Fifth Ave.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

any wineries in the area that are decent?
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 07:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear ddreher:

Numerous wineries are located in Temecula, just north of Escondido. We visited Callaway & Wilson. The Temecula wine route is very laid back and charming.

The Wild Animal Park is also located in Escondido.

Have a great trip.

MY

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -