London - Which taxi for local travel ?

Old Sep 24th, 2008, 09:53 PM
asd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London - Which taxi for local travel ?

Hi Fodorites,
I will be staying in London Mayfair Area, close to Berkeley Sq. and will have to reach St. Pancras International Station to take the Eurostar departing at 6.00 a.m. TFL website's options are not convenient. Perhaps I would just take a taxi to St. Pancras Station. What taxi company should I book ?
Thanks in advance.
-ASD
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 10:12 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You step out on the sidewalk, you wave at any &quot;black&quot; cab that goes by w/ the yellow <i>Taxi</i> light on the roof lit. They are not all black but they are called black cabs. They are often covered w/ adverts or painted lots of different colours - even plaid

If the Taxi light is not lit, the cab is not available. So - just stand on the sidewalk until you see a cab w/ the light on and you are good to go. They are not companies like &quot;Yellow Cab&quot; and such like in the States.

There are mini cabs - not &quot;Mini Coopers&quot; but just sedans that you can book ahead. But for a cab ride to the station that really isn't necessary. Mini cabs can't pick you up unless you book ahead.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 10:28 PM
asd
Original Poster

Thanks janisj for the prompt response. Hope I will be able to find a cruising Black Cab around 5 in the morning near Berkeley Sq. !
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 12:12 AM

asd - depends on the day of the week...on weekends there will likely be many about as people are out late drinking etc. not sure about berkley sq area though

Are you staying at a hotel? Have them book you a cab so you dont have to worry!
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 12:13 AM

Asd,

6am departure means Brussels bound?

I presume you are taking the train after 9/30. The schedule to 9/30 does not show any 6am London departures:

http://eurostar-en.custhelp.com/cgi-...mp;p_topview=1
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 02:42 AM
asd
Original Poster

jamikins, Thanks. I am staying in an apartment. This apartment is walking distance from Green Park Tube station and The Ritz. So hopefully I can walk to Piccadily and try a cab from near The Ritz.

Greg, Thanks for pointing out the schedule. I am traveling on Oct. 3 and I did check the schedule for that date and even now Eurostar is accepting booking for the train departing 6.00 a.m. I have been anxiously following the developments in the Channel Incident. I am relieved that the train I have booked is not canceled.
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 09:22 PM
asd
Original Poster

Update on my Taxi search.
From my apartment, I walked a few yards into Berkeley Street at the ungodly hour of 4.50 a.m. I came to Mayfair Hotel and Holiday Inn Hotel. There were several cabs waiting for fare. From there it was a 10-minute ride to St. Pancras International station. Fare &pound; 10.80 for 4 pax. Lucky we were early at St. Pancras. The Eurostar service was limping back after the fire incident in the Chunnel and train services were combined and hence there was increased rush. We managed to get into our coach by 5.45 a.m.
Thanks janisj &amp; jamikins afor reassuring me about the availability of taxi at that hour.