London weather in March?

Jan 17th, 2003, 01:08 PM
Sterling Tanner

London weather in March?

We are contemplating a family vacation to London in mid-March but don't know much about the weather. Will it be too cold to enjoy ourselves? We don't necessarily mind the cold but we don't want to freeze either. Our youngest child is 8.

Jan 17th, 2003, 01:13 PM
ttt

I don't know where you are from or what your local weather is like in March, so will just toss this out there.. London tends to be warmer in March than the northeast United States is in March.
Dressing in layers should just be fine...add when you need to and take off if you need to.

Jan 17th, 2003, 04:19 PM
gand

Went to London last march. 40's - early 50's typical temp. A few days colder and a few warmer. Expect rain and bring good rain shoes/rain jacket gloves and hat.

Make sure that your hotel is near an underground station since most travelling in london will be done this way for tourists unless you plan to rent a car.

Again, it just depends where you are coming from and what kind of weather you are used to.

Jan 17th, 2003, 05:23 PM
Susan

What about heat in hotels in March? I believe I read that Brits tend to keep the temperature down (& wear more clothes indoors).

Jan 17th, 2003, 05:28 PM
janell

I was in London in mid-December. The weather was perfect-sun shining and warm...and most of my clothing was bulky sweaters. The point? Be prepared for anything (rain, snow, sun) and may you be as lucky weather-wise. Have a great trip!

Jan 17th, 2003, 06:41 PM
jill

Last time we were in LOndon in March, it was sunny, breezy and in the 50's during the day. The hotels was quite warm. Restaurants are warm, you should dress in layers, so you can peel off some when you are inside and start to heat up.
If it rains, plan lots of museums and cafes, carry an umbrella, you will be fine.

Jan 18th, 2003, 03:44 AM
Britty

I think its a bit of an old fasioned myth that the Brits don't like it warm indoors. Even the smallest B and B has central heating these days. Mid march heralds the start of spring and if you are lucky the trees will be just beginning to come into leaf - except London Planes which are late breakers. Its quite rare for the temperature to drop below freezing in London, and by mid March the worst of the winter weather should be past. I find Febrary the worst month usually. Just wrap up warm and expect some rain and breezes - or you might be lucky and get a nice warm spell. Who knows - this is England after all and the weather is our favourite topic for small talk!

Jan 18th, 2003, 09:24 AM
PatrickW

try

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/90day.shtml

for a 90-day forecast (including March 2003).

Central heating is now more or less universal in British homes. If you tried to sell one without, you would have to discount the price accordingly.

Jan 18th, 2003, 10:20 AM
shelley

We spent four days (the end of a two-week trip) in London in March 2000. It was cold, windy, and rainy! We spent as little time as possible outside, but did not let the weather deter us from having a wonderful time. We even stood outside Buckingham Palace (in the wind and rain) to see the Changing of the Guard, only to find that they don't do all the pagentry in the rain. Umbrellas and good raincoats got us through it just fine.

We were in London in June 2001 and had the same rainy weather for two days! You just can't tell what you will have. But we've been three times and plan to go again this summer, so you can tell we find the weather only a minor inconvenience. A friend told us to plan on the weather in England being very much like that in Seattle, Washington, and we have found that to be a good guide.