London Weather in December

Oct 21st, 2003, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

London Weather in December

My husband and I are thinking of visiting London around the holidays. Is this a good time? What can we expect from the weather?
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:07 AM

Hi Kathryn,

I am coming from NYC towads the end of November our temp can dip below 40. THAT NEVER HAPPENS or rarely if ever happens in London. You might hit some rain but that can be expected in many parts of the world certainly in Europe in Winter. For me it has always been a weather break to go to London in Winter. It is pretty temperate. It never gets too cold and of course you know they are not know for tropical heat.

They do attribute their wonderful gardens to the mild seasons. ENJOY!!!
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:20 AM

Don't count on it NEVER being below 40F. It will likely be warmer than the northeastern seaboard of the USA and definitely warmer than the upper midwest.

But it could really be anything (except hot). I was in London last December and it was the coldest weather I ever experienced there - in the low 30's F most days. There was virtually no rain - it would have snowed if there was any precip, it was so cold. But I have also been there in Nov/Dec when the temps were in the low 50'sF.

The thing to do is dress in layers and take silk long underwear, gloves, scarves and a hat -- then you will be ready for pretty much anything.
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:30 AM

Yeah Janis I think those temps were flooky I lived in London and I also make trips over about every other year. Friends who live there tell me this is why the country is know for its gardens year round.

Oct 21st, 2003, 10:26 AM

We've actually head an extremely dry year this year, and still no sign of serious rain. If those gardens are to keep going, I'm afraid we shall need pretty well continuous rain for months.
Oct 21st, 2003, 10:27 AM

We've actually had an extremely dry year this year, and still no sign of serious rain. If those gardens are to keep going, I'm afraid we shall need pretty well continuous rain for months.
Oct 21st, 2003, 10:43 AM

I agree with Janis, Looking back at my pics from a New Years trip there, it was rainy (no snow) and I was layered with a hat, scarf, regular jacket, boots, etc. BUT I never broke out my huge winter jacket I brought with me.
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:40 PM

If you choose London as a destination halfway down the first page on the left you'll find a button for weather, In addition to the current conditions, you will find a ten day forecast (useful just before your trip) and climate history. Check it against your home climate.