Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London walks, Leeds Castle/Canterbury or Thames Beachcomings

Old Apr 19th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a few days in London I have been many times and I've seen the the tourists sights, however, I have never been on a London Walks walk.

There are two special walks available when I'm there the first is the an explorer day to Canterbury and Leeds castle, I haven't been to either on previous visits to London, the cost is GBP 54. here's a discription:-

"As good as it gets! Ancient Canterbury, the ripe perfection of the Kentish countryside and Leeds Castle
(“standing on its twin islands in the river Len, Leeds Castle rises romantically above the reed-fringed waters of
its moat-lake”). Timing’s everything so we go there Saturday, May 30 for the Henry VIII Festival"

What are your thoughts? IS the walk worth the money?

The other walk I am thing of is the Thames Beachcoming, what exactly is this? I've been on a cruise on the Thames to Greenwich, I enjoyed this alot. I haven't read a discription of this walk, if anyone has been on this walk could you please comment.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 09:38 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd personally do Canterbury on my own and save a lot of money. Leeds castle is mainly good for the gardens/grounds. Beautiful gardens to be sure, but as a castle it is mainly a wedding/conference venue. You can take a train to Canterbury and then an organized walking tour (or totally on your own which is easy too)

London walks are generally good - but I don't think Canterbury/Leeds Castle is worth the ££

as for the beachcombing . . . if you google you will find tons of reports/reviews/opinions/options - and make up your own mind.
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 11:55 AM

The 54GBP includes 12GBP for the two walking tours you will get, plus the train/transit fares/entrance fees to the castle...and you get the group rates.

I'm not sure you could do it for cheaper...they are usually very good value.

I havent done either of those particular tours so I cant give you feedback on how good the tours are...
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 07:22 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The return train fare to Canterbury is about £21 and one would get much more time in Canterbury since the train is faster. Excellent walking tours from the Canterbury TIC are £5. I personally just don't think the Leeds Castle add-on is worth nearly £30. But it is your holiday.
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you janisj and jamikins. I checked prices for bus tours, just as a comparison, the tours are GBP 67 without lunch or GBP 77 with lunch and are operated by Golden Tours. There is a 15% discount off those prices, at present. Althought the tours won't give must time in each place, the tour covers alot more than London Walks, Canterbury, Leeds Castle, Dover, Greenwich and a Thames cruise. Yes, all in one day, obviously at a rather hectic pace. I've been to Dover and Greenwich and I've done the Thames cruises too. I am interested in Canterbury and Leed Castle if I can accomodate on or both on this trip that would be good. I leaning towards tackling Canterbury by myself.
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 05:21 AM

we did a day trip to canterbury and leeds castle
really loved it ( wont do anymore castles for a while i think lol)

canterbury is such a nice town- we found a texco and had a picnic lunch of cheeses and rolls and apples...

i think id just catch a train if did it all again

i wouldve like to have stayed longer but of course you cant when theres a coach waiting for you
i liked leeds because it was compact- liked the grounds and especially the swans
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 12:50 PM

If you go to Canterbury on your own, there is a neat restaurant/teashop called The Weavers' House. We liked it so well we had both lunch and tea there the day we went. We also did a TIC walking tour. It was good but did not include entry into the cathedral (which we did on our own).