Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Onslow gardens--South kensington--London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm seeking accommodations for my 7 day trip to London in July. I have found a flat in Onslow Gardens, South Kensington for 450 pounds per week. It looks like it would meet our needs. Is the area good? I know I've read that Kensington is many people's first choice for accommodations, but sadly in our 2 days there last summer, we never ventured to Kensington, so I don't know anything from person experience. The flat is on VRBO, but there are no guest comments to judge it from.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 07:19 PM
yk

Yes, Onslow Garden is in a good area. Pretty close to S Ken tube station, and also buses that go along Fulham Rd. Tom's kitchen, where I had an excellent meal, is just right around the corner on Cale Street.
http://www.tomskitchen.co.uk/

It also is close to the V&A and Nat History museums.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 03:24 AM

The location is fine as Yk said. Which flat are you thinking of booking?
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 05:54 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
£450 is a very good rate if the flat is at all decent. And the location is absolutely fine. South Kensington is closer in and generally more convenient for sightseeing and transport than Kensington (which is a different neighborhood)
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Here is a link to the listing. Do you know anything about it?
http://www.vrbo.com/87362
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 08:31 AM

I do not know the flat - but the location is very good and the price is VERY good for that neighborhood.

Just a couple of notes - the listing does not give the size. There are studios and then there are studios. But putting the few photos together it does look decent sized for a studio. And it does have full kitchen - not a kitchenette. All to the good.

Also if you note it says "separate entrance" and the photo showing a stairway outside the window -- this is a "lower ground" apartment (i.e. basement). This doesn't mean it is a hovel or anything - every bldg of flats in London has at least one lower level unit.

I would not let that bother me much - but just a heads up.

It is going to be larger and cheaper than a hotel room.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 08:32 AM

The location is great.

You do know that in england "studio flat" means it hasn't got a seperate bedroom (and possibly not a seperate kitchen although the ben ghazi will have a door)?
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 08:41 AM
yk

Are you staying there by yourself or w/someone? The website looks okay... No pics of bathroom. Also it doesn't say what floor it is on (to me, it looks like it's in the basement), nor how large is the apt. Also, the bed is just 2 twin pushed together to become a Queen. If there's 2 of you, just be aware you'll feel a "gap" in the middle of the bed.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 08:42 AM

DW: The photos show a full kitchen opening to the living space.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 08:53 AM

I'm a man. I have no idea what a kitchen looks like. When I want to dishwasher to work I call her darling.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 08:55 AM

And there's a great pub , The Anglesea Arms, on Onslow Gardens. I love that area, very close to Gloucester Rd tube also
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

It would be me and my 14yo daughter. We like the fact that the beds can be separated, at least a little bit. Basement location doesn't bother me much--only question airflow, but I could probably find an electric fan if it were hot and I found a need for it. I didn't think to ask about the bathroom. I sent in an enquiry form about our dates and asked about availability--at that price I didn't want to take a risk that it would be gone if it is a good choice!

I agree that it has to be larger than a hotel room would be. It would be nice to at least be able to have some food in for breakfast and to pack a lunch if we desire. We'll probably eat out at least once a day regardless, but I'm trying to minimize our costs as much as possible--I'm just a schoolteacher after all! And, we'd like to be able to go to more than 1 theater performance--eating in would help costs to allow that!

Since it is just me and my daughter, all of it being a continuous room isn't a problem. I liked the wifi availability and the close proximity to the tube.

You guys are terrific with the advice and guidance. Thank you so much. I hope I can return the favor some day!
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 09:03 AM

yes - the Z-bed (can be separated) is a big plus. And as we've said it is a great rate for a terrific location. Walking distance to the V&A, Harrods, Hyde Park/Kens Gardens and on 3 of the most useful tube routes for visitors. It is on the Piccadilly line so if you are flying into LHR you can take the tube in.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 09:06 AM

There's a large Sainbury's and a smaller Tesco, right on Gloucester Rd, about a 5 minute walk from OG, also a Paul Patisserie, lots of inexpensive cafes, and the pub I mentioned has a seperate dining room and very nice food selection at reasonable prices.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 09:56 AM
yk

I think this would be just fine for you and your daughter. Looking at the photos, I cannot imagine it not being larger than a regular hotel room. What I'd suggest is to email the owner to request a photo of the bathroom - just to make sure it looks decent. I'm sure your 14 yr-old daughter would care about what the bathroom looks like.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input. I think I will ask about the bathroom, but can see the corner of it in one picture. From the parts of the photo showing, it is one large room with the kitchen sort of in an L from that room and the bathroom looks like it is just around the corner from the bathroom in that photo that shows the kitchen. Hopefully the calendar on the website is accurate. That price will allow us to allot more money for theater!
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

P.S. My 14yo actually probably couldn't care less about the bathroom! LOL Now, if I were taking my 12yo, that would be a completely different matter though!
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 11:05 AM

Yes - in that photo I can see a bit of a white bath tub - so at least the bathroom is large enough to have a tub.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 11:57 AM

I think it's a great location and very good price. My SIL lived in the area for a couple of years before she moved to a flat on Sloane St. We loved the location and the area - very walkable to plenty of attractions. And as mentioned above there is a Sainbury's and Tesco nearby so you can stock up on things for breakfast or fix picnic lunch. You should have a great visit.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 01:27 PM

marking for someday

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -