London tube question

Oct 2nd, 2018, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

London tube question

Hi all. We'll be arriving mid-afternoon at Heathrow. We will be staying at Doubletree Westminster. I suspect that traffic and cost will be prohibitive, so perfectly fine with taking the tube. However, we will be dragging luggage (and will be on the backside of 2 weeks in Italy- so tired!).

It looks like we cannot get direct to Westminster stop from Heathrow.. I suspect we will have to switch to the green line (District) at some point, in order to arrive at Westminster. Looking at the tube map I have, it appears that we will not have to drag luggage up any stairs if we get off at Westminster stop. Unfortunately, I cannot really decipher where our best bet is to get off the Heathrow line to pick up the green line. It looks like South Kensington connects, but we might have to drag luggage. Can someone tell me if we can change lines at Acton Town or Earl's Court? They both look "handicap accessible". Ease of change is our goal!

Hoping to hear from some Londoners or some real regulars! Thanks!!!
Oct 2nd, 2018, 08:44 PM

>>We will be staying at Doubletree Westminster.<<

Despite the name the hotel is not really near Westminster tube station. In fact it is a teensy bit closer to Pimlico station. For that location (I know it very well - often stay in Pimlico and very often visit Tate Britain). After an overnight flight it would be a total slog of a walk -- and what if it is raining. I would either pre-book a car service (like justairports.com) . . . OR . . . take the tube to Hammersmith change there for the District line to Victoria (almost the easiest transfer on the entire tube system, just step across the same platform and catch the next District line train), and then a taxi from Victoria to the hotel.
Oct 2nd, 2018, 08:53 PM

Meant to add -- staying there you will get very familiar with the 88 and C10 bus routes which both travel down John Islip Street.
Oct 2nd, 2018, 11:38 PM

Second janisj's suggestion for a car service. justairports is a longtime favorite here in Fodorville, have used them a couple times and found them great. Yes, costs a bit more than public transit but, in my miserly opinion, is well worth it. Schlepping luggage to transfer tube lines is no fun, and you would have to make at least one transfer (at Green Park to the Victoria line)
Oct 3rd, 2018, 04:17 AM

I did this with our son last week. Two suitcases (heís going to school in London) around lunchtime. Didnít get a seat on the tube so prepare yourself for the possibility of crowds.

Last edited by xcountry; Oct 3rd, 2018 at 04:25 AM.
Oct 3rd, 2018, 07:52 AM

>>at least one transfer (at Green Park to the Victoria line)<<

Changing at Hammersmit for the District line would be much easier than Green Park/Victoria.
Oct 3rd, 2018, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

janisj, yes I was planning on taking a taxi from Westminster tube station to the hotel. It looks like Hammersmith has assessibility, but does Victoria? Will we have to drag our luggage up/down stairs at either of these stops? Or are there elevators at both? THX!!!
Oct 3rd, 2018, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

On second thought, janisj, I think we'll splurge and use the airport transfer service recommended here. Thanks!!!
Oct 3rd, 2018, 01:17 PM

Honesty I would just book justairports.com all the way from from LHR. But if you really want to take the tube, then change at Hammersmith and take the taxi from either Westminster or Victoria. Victoria is step free only at the Cardinal Place entrance/exit.

But you will still have to schlepp the bags quite some distance at LHR (no stairs though) and at either tube station so a car service would be easier all around.
Oct 3rd, 2018, 01:18 PM

Oh -- I didn't see your later post . . . good decision

Justairports is significantly cheaper if you pay the cash fare.
Oct 3rd, 2018, 06:09 PM

This is one of the times when I think a splurge is well worth it. We often take some sort of car service when first arriving to an international location when we are exhausted and in a jet lagged state. We usually return to the airport via public transportation. I am glad you decided on the car service!
Oct 3rd, 2018, 10:17 PM

Agree about the Hammersmith transfer, janisj, it's what we use when tubing in from LHR and needing a transfer to the District line. But in order to get to the closest tube station (which you pointed out is Pimlico) an additional transfer (or cab) would be required at Victoria. Moot at this point as it looks like Sarge has decided to use justairports as we suggest. Good call, Sarge - your comfort is well worth the couple extra pounds!
Oct 3rd, 2018, 11:17 PM

>> needing a transfer to the District line. But in order to get to the closest tube station (which you pointed out is Pimlico) an additional transfer (or cab) would be required at Victoria.<<

Just to clarify -- the OP later said they wanted to use a cab from the tube station and not walk it. So Victoria or Westminster would be equally good (assuming they'd use the Cardinal Place exit) and no extra transfers.

But moot point now because they have (wisely) opted to use a car service.
Oct 7th, 2018, 03:04 AM

Just in case anyone is following this thread, th TfL website has a map that shows tube stations with wheelchair symbols. One symbol is for stations with no stair connections needed to get from platform to street. Although it is designed to informed handicapped travelers, it also is the roadmap to success for those with baggage.