Tube Route-Paddington to Covent Garden`

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traveling to London and taking the Heathrow Express to Paddington. My inclination is to catch a cab from there to the hotel in Covent Garden.

However, will have a Visitor TravelCard and figure may as well get the most use out of it.

Assume the best Tube route is Central/Circle from Paddington to Kings X/St. Pancras changing there for the Piccadilly to Covent Garden.

THE question is stairs. Stairs or escalators for the change at St. Pancras and stairs/lift/escalator at Covent Garden to street level????

If there are no escalators/lifts then I'll definitely, and very happily, spring for the taxi.

Thanks in advance for any useful info.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 02:37 PM

I'm quite sure that there are escalators in all the tube stations and lifts in most. As I rememember, Kings X/St Pancras is a very large station and the walking distance can be quite long between some of the tube lines. Paddinton station is quite large as well.

If you have a lot of luggage you may want to rethink the tube.

Cheers
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 02:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You've probably already worked through this but if you want to use public transport, why not take the tube directly to Covent Garden via the Piccadilly line? There is definitely a lift at Covent Garden to the street but I don't recall how many stairs and/or escalators there are prior to the lift. I'm sure others will inform you on this point.

The Heathrow Express to Paddington to Kings X makes little sense as it takes you out of your way to Covent Garden. Have you compared the cost of a hired car (e.g. justairports.com) vs. the HE/cab option?
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 02:58 PM
sojourner

If you REALLY want to get the most out of your travel card, you could buy a single trip extension at Heathrow and take the Piccadilly line all the way to C. Garden with no change of trains. This would take about an hour, which is not much longer than, or maybe actually quicker than, taking the HEX and then 2 changes for the tube.

I don't remember whether Covent Garden tube station has escalators or elevators, but someone else will know.

Incidentally, that pink line on the tube map is not the Central line going through Paddington, but the Hammersmith & City line. True, the mistake doesn't matter in this particular context, but you'll want to determine your tube lines a bit more carefully when you are in London. The Central (red) vs. H & C (pink) as well as the two blues of the Piccadilly and Victoria lines can easily be confused on those tube maps.

Old Jan 15th, 2005, 03:02 PM

As already mentioned,The Piccadilly Tube Line will take you directly from Heathrow to Covent Garden. No transfers.
There are elevators from the platform level to the street level at the Covent Garden Station, no stairs involved to get to the elevator.

If you've already pre-paid for a HEX ticket and still want to use the Tube once you arrive at Paddington Station then the route you want to take is the Bakerloo Line to Piccadilly Circus, transfer there to the Piccadilly Line .
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 03:05 PM

There is need to take the expensive Heathrow Express in your situation.

Cost and time-wise means the best bet is the Piccadilly Line direct from Heathrow to Covent Garden. That is unless you want the get a private car direct from LHR to your hotel?

What Terminal at LHR are you arriving at? I ask because there are tube alterations from Terminal 4 at the moment which I think means you have to get a bus for a small part of the journey.

Any journey like this also depends on how many people will be making this journey.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

As usual, you guys are the BEST!!!

I've already reserved the HEX tickets so that's a done deal for better or worse.

So I think we'll (two people) take the Bakerloo to Piccadilly and transfer there.

Once again, thanks to all for taking the time to respond as it is very MUCH appreciated.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 04:39 PM

Spend less than 10 pounds and take a taxi from Paddington! Do you know how to get from the tube to your hotel/apartment. What is your time and aggravation worth?