Search

Heathrow to westminster tube stop

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heathrow to westminster tube stop

HI,
Can someone advise me how to get from Heathrow to Westminster tube stop or Waterloo station where our hotel is located
thanks
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 07:13 PM

You can take the Heathrow Express (train) from the airport, but it stops at Paddington Station. From Paddington, the easiest thing would be to take a taxi cab to your hotel (but that could be pricey - especially if you're in the middle of rush hour). If you took the Tube from Paddington, you could take the Central/District line (yellow or green lines) to Westminster. If you need to go to Waterloo (which is across the Thames river), you'd then have to change at Westminster Station onto the Jubilee line to get to Waterloo.

Another option is to take the Tube directly from Heathrow to Green Park station on the Piccadilly Line (Blue line). You would then change over to the Jubilee line and take the Tube to either Westminster or Waterloo.

Keep in mind that most Tube stations don't have elevators and if they do, they're a pain to locate and use. If you have lots of luggage, you'll have to cart the suitcases up and down flights of escalators.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 07:34 PM

If you take the Tube, I would suggest changing to the District Line (Direction Upminster) at Hammersmith, as the connection is a short walk across the platform, and it's a straight shot from there to Westminster. I think I'd prefer the simplicity of this route over the Heathrow Express.

The shortest route from Paddington is to take the Hammersmith & City line (Direction Whitechapel) to Baker Street, then the Jubilee Line (Direction Stratford) to Westminster or Waterloo.

Only recommended for travelers with minimal luggage, for the reasons given by Heyblondie.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 07:43 PM

We took the tube and it wasn't a problem, but we pack light--had only 2 suitcase--one each(on wheels).
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 07:53 PM

OK - do you want Westminster or Waterloo? They are on opposite sides of teh river so it makes a big difference how far you end up walking.

By any chanch are you staying at County Hall? If so I'd use westminster since it is directly across Westminster bridge from the tube station. Waterloo is also an easy walk - but for you first vision of London to be Big Ben, the river and parliament, would be much nicer/memorable than schlepping around the side of waterloo station.

If it is Westminster then -- No - you do NOT want to change tube lines at Green Park.

Take the Piccadilly line from LHR to Hammersmith. When you get off the train, walk about 40 feet across the platform -- no stairs, no escalator, no long walk as at Green Park. From the other side of the platform board the next District line train which takes you directly to Westminster.

This is a very easy journey - I personally would not spend the extra to take the heathrow Express since you end up at Paddington and still have to take the tube or a cab from there.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
One of you guessed correctly I am staying at County Hall..hotel detail described both Wesminster tube and Waterloo station and I was not sure which was faster....
thanks for great information
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 11:23 PM

When you buy your ticket at Heathrow (where a machine is quicker than a window) you can buy a travel card that covers Heathrow to Zone One. All London travel cards are valid not just for tubes and local above-ground trains but also for busses. You change trains at Hammersmith, and from the District line platform at Westminster you take a lift right up to street level. You step outside, but with luggage the walk over the bridge is a bit long. You will find several busses run past the station, on the station side of the road, and go over Westminster Bridge. You board the bus and press the card onto a circle marked with an oyster. Then you walk along the bus to the exit door, behind the entry door, and prepare to leave the bus at the next stop, the Marriott hotel at County Hall. There you leave, and walk round to the Travellers Inn.

[email protected]
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 08:08 AM

I don't believe all of the buses from the Westminster stop cross the bridge (the 11 and 24 go to Victoria, for example).

To be sure, get on a 12, 159, or 453.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
We arrive about 1:35pm thurs and leave early monday morning - plan to use the tube a lot - what kind of pass should we get
thanks for information about the buses
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 03:25 PM

Thursday - One Day Off-Peak Travelcard Zones 1-6 (includes Heathrow)
Friday, Saturday, Sunday - Three Day Off-Peak Travelcard* Zones 1-2
Monday - Single tickets to Heathrow

* Weekends are Off-Peak all day. Do something close to the hotel first thing Friday.

If there are any under-16s in your party, the Family Travelcard is a better deal. Here's the breakdown:

<b>http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tickets/2005/one-day/travelcard-day.shtml</b>
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 02:33 PM

topping for info
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 06:09 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>topping for info</i>"

The best way to accomplish that is to save the tread to your favorites (see that little gold star up at the top of the thread)

But the good news is you've topped an old thread w/ contributions by Robes and the great Ben Haines (may they both rest in peace)
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 06:15 AM

Thanks janisj, Have never "starred" a thread but glad to know about it.

Actually, I was hoping that newer info might pop up as a result of topping this one. 4 years can be a long time for travel info.

And yes, RIP. I never even noticed the authors of the posts.
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 08:10 PM

ttt
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 10:17 PM

Several points of the posting are now incorrect - there are no family travelcards, it doesn't mention the rules for using the 2-4-1 offers on www.daysoutguide.com for which you need a travelcard bought at a train rather than tube station, you can't get 3 day travelcards.

Rather than saving this one you would do better saving one of the dozen or so threads on a similar subject that have been raised this year alone
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 06:21 PM

Thanks, Alan. I was saving for the info about Hammersmith, as District is the line I need for my hotel. From looking at the tube map, I was not certain which tube change was easiest to negotiate with luggage.
Once before, a nice young man saw me at the bottom of stairs and grabbed my suitcase and deposited it at the top. I was hoping to avoid having to manage stairs or inconvenience anyone at my tube change.
As I am going to St. James's Park, does anyone think other than Hammersmith would be better?
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 07:17 PM

Does it ever happen to you?

As soon as you post a question, and do just a little more research, you find the PERFECT web site? Accessible transport London, where you can select for no stairs, or no lifts, or no escalators, or whatever you need. What an excellent service, even for those without luggage!