London: TUBE CHAOS

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's no doubt what the London tabloids are screaming this morning as nine lines of the London Underground, the bulk of the system, came to a scrreching halt yesterday around 6pm. The strike is expected to last three days and may well occur another three days next week.

Many Londoners left work early yesterday to beat the 6pm strike time, resulting no doubt in sardine-city below the ground. Others packed buses, which are not effected by the walk out or hoofed it home if could not hail the elusive cabs. Three lines were working as of last night, however - Jubilee, Northern and Piccadilly so these three busy tube lines, whose maintenance workers do not belong the unions that walked out, promise to be super packed during the strike.

The problem stems from the bankruptcy of Metronet - part of a joint operation that uses private-sector funding to finance public projects like Tube infrastructure improvements and maintenance - the bankruptcy has caused workers for Metronet to fear for their job security, pensions, etc. and they are seeking strong guarantees that they will be secure despite the company's banakruptcy.
TfL says it has gone as far as it could in meeting workers demands so the strike may go on.
Metronet's porlbems began as soon as the company was hired to carry out an about $35 billion 30-year scheme to refurbish and modernize London's tattered and rundown Underground system. Costs, however spun quickly out of control and were estimated to be more than $4 billion over budget by 2010.

So Tube travelers may face chaos during the coming weeks periodically at least.

London's esteemed Mayor 'Red' Ken Livingstone angered Londoners in the strike aftermath by refusing to suspend the 8 pound daily Congestion charge for vehicles to enter central London during the strike. Hats off to visionary Ken!

The walk out involved the workers that maintain the Tube's infrastructure - the tracks, etc. and Tube officials decided it was not safe to run the network without them.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 06:32 AM

Thanks for the heads-up on this. I'm arriving in London for my honeymoon on Monday, Sept. 10, the first day scheduled for strikes next week. I assume the bus system and cabs will be overloaded and there will be pure chaos. We were planning to take the Gatwick Express from Gatwick to London, and then the Tube to our hotel near Marble Arch. Any suggestions for a revised plan? Any suggestions on getting around next week? Thanks.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

there well could be a direct bus from Victoria to Marble Arch.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 06:47 AM

There are indeed: 2, 16, 36, 73, 82, 148, 436, and they'd be easier than the tube for this particular route at any time.

See:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaro...rchdr-2168.pdf

A lot depends on whether everyone else will be trying to do the same thing as you. My experience today was that people weren't trying to get on my tube line in any greater numbers than normal. On a Monday, I wouldn't be surprised (if it's still happening when you arrive) if people have a long weekend of it.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 07:02 AM

Thanks you guys! I really appreciate the help. Hopefully it won't be as crazy as it potentially seems.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 07:11 AM

The same website tfl.gov.uk has a "journeyplanner" feature that lets you put in tube stations, addresses or landmarks to plan any trip. Down at the bottom of the page it lets you check and uncheck boxes to choose bus as the preferred alternative. You can use an oyster card -- one pound -- on the bus the same as on the tube or pay as you get on most buses -- two pounds (some buses do not accept payment on board and their bus stops tell you that). Good luck!
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 08:26 AM

For more or less up to date information - http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravel...e/default.html
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Original Poster