London trip - stay in Marlyeborn vs Westminster

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2023, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there! My family of 4 is traveling to London before Christmas this year. It is our first trip! 3 adults and 1 teen. We will be doing a short term rental and I have found two properties that I like. Can someone provide some feedback?

1. Marylebone, on Linhope street, near Baker Street. Seems to have a more residential feel. This one is managed by Ivy Lettings and appears to have good ratings.

2. Westminster, on Howick street (one block south of Victoria street), near St James Park. More centrally located, seems to have an urban feel. The management company has called this apartment complex "Victoria Street Apartments". I can't find any reviews of this specific apartment. It is managed by Silver Door Company.

Thanks in advance!
Old May 11th, 2023, 06:43 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you mean Howick Place?

Either location would be fine -- but for a first time visitor (other things like quality/price being equal-ish) I'd probably choose Howick Place. It is midway between Victoria and St James's stations and is much more central.

Linhope street is just west of Regent's Park

But again - either would be fine.
Old May 11th, 2023, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I did mean Howick Place. Thanks for the feedback! I am having a tough time choosing, but appreciate it.
Old May 11th, 2023, 01:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Can you post links to the properties themselves? That might make it easier to help you choose.
Old May 11th, 2023, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

It won't let me do hyperlinks since I am a new user. I am going to try and type it out.

1. Marylebone option:

https//www.ivylettings.com/search-rentals/lin/

2. Howick Place option:

https//www.silverdoorapartments.com/victoria-street-apartments-london-9636/

Old May 11th, 2023, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by annhig
Can you post links to the properties themselves? That might make it easier to help you choose.
That would help -- often there will be red flags or issues that first time visitors might not notice. (like '2nd floor no lift' means third floor walk up )
Old May 11th, 2023, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Trying again to make links:

Linhope Street | Marylebone Vacation Rental | Ivy (ivylettings.com)

Victoria Street Apartments, London, SilverDoor Apartments

Last edited by travelfam7700; May 11th, 2023 at 07:29 PM.
Old May 11th, 2023, 07:53 PM

The Ivy Lettings looks very nice but the 'Area description' is weird (which seems strange since Ivy Lettings is a long time/well respected agency and they don't usually add incorrect 'fluff'). To say Hamley's is a 15 walk is ludicrous. Hamleys is almost 2 miles from the property. And Selfridges/Oxford Street isn't a 5 minute walk - its about a mile. Just odd??

SilverDoor's flats are modern purpose-built serviced apartments so not as posh or homey (that's homely in the UK) as the other flat but there is a lift and it is close to St James's tube station and Victoria tube and train station.

Either would be fine depending on your expectations. Victoria Street is just about as central as it gets. If it was me I'd honestly go with whichever one is cheaper for your dates.
Old May 12th, 2023, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
The Ivy Lettings looks very nice but the 'Area description' is weird (which seems strange since Ivy Lettings is a long time/well respected agency and they don't usually add incorrect 'fluff'). To say Hamley's is a 15 walk is ludicrous. Hamleys is almost 2 miles from the property. And Selfridges/Oxford Street isn't a 5 minute walk - its about a mile. Just odd??

SilverDoor's flats are modern purpose-built serviced apartments so not as posh or homey (that's homely in the UK) as the other flat but there is a lift and it is close to St James's tube station and Victoria tube and train station.

Either would be fine depending on your expectations. Victoria Street is just about as central as it gets. If it was me I'd honestly go with whichever one is cheaper for your dates.
Thanks! I'm glad you have even heard of SilverDoor - I've asked on other forums and haven't gotten much feedback. The Victoria location is about 25% less expensive, which for a 9 night stay adds up. I am leaning towards Victoria. I suppose the only thing that makes me nervous is that I can't find any reviews of that property.
Old May 12th, 2023, 07:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Given the likely weather I'd chose based on how close the nearest small supermarket (Tescos, Waitrose, M&S) is to run to. The Ivy looks more British, the other could be anywhere.
Old May 12th, 2023, 07:59 AM

If you were going in spring/summer/fall when you might enjoy the greenery and the outdoor space I would probably choose the first one, but as you are going November and its quite less expensive the second.
Old May 12th, 2023, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by travelfam7700
Thanks! I'm glad you have even heard of SilverDoor - I've asked on other forums and haven't gotten much feedback. The Victoria location is about 25% less expensive, which for a 9 night stay adds up. I am leaning towards Victoria. I suppose the only thing that makes me nervous is that I can't find any reviews of that property.
Re SilverDoor - I haven't stayed there but London has tons of those types of serviced apartment complexes. Most are aimed at business travelers and aren't massive presences on the leisure travel front. The facilities are generally very clean and modern though sterile. If it is 25% less I'd definitely be happy to stay there. It won't have the 'atmosphere' of Linhope street but a 25% savings is not to be sneezed at. It is so central.
Old May 12th, 2023, 09:35 AM

I agree with Janis that the ivy location description is a little odd. Calling that area Marylebone seems a stretch. By the map not that close to Baker Street. Surely more like St. Johns Wood or Primrose Hill.
Old May 12th, 2023, 10:47 AM

It is difficult to assess as you don’t seem to have said how long you will be staying or your budget. For shorter stays the Citadines in High Holborn or the one close to Trafalgar Square could be worth considering.
Old May 12th, 2023, 12:03 PM

Citadines are a good option but their rates have generally risen quite a bit. I stayed at the Holborn location a couple of years ago ( moving down market after the first three nights at the Savoy to save £££ ) and was shocked at their rates
Old May 12th, 2023, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the feedback! I have decided against Linhope for a few reasons: less flexible cancel policy, much more expensive, not in the heart of Marylebone.

I have a few more leads on different corporate serviced apartments in Marylebone and Victoria, so I'm waiting to hear back from those. When I checked Citadines, I don't think they had my idea apartment type (3 bed, 1.5-2 bath).
Old May 12th, 2023, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Oh, sorry, I forgot to add. We are staying for 9 nights, and would love to stay under 500 pounds per night. Even less is better.
Old May 12th, 2023, 03:13 PM
mjs

Janisj. You are not kidding about the Citadines price increases. Have stayed at the Tralfagar location once and the Holborn location 3 or4 times. Last in June last year for a cost of about $190. This June rates at $320!
Old May 25th, 2023, 01:30 AM

If you want to be near tourist attractions and shopping, Westminster is probably a better choice since it's more centrally located. Marylebone has a more residential feel and is a bit further away from the attractions. You may want to take a look at more reviews and pictures of each place to make the best decision for your family.
Old May 26th, 2023, 02:02 AM

I would always stay in Marylebone vs Victoria. In fact Linhope street would not have been a bad choice from a location point of view. Marylebone has different parts to it. The area near Baker Street and Marylebone station has good bus and underground train routes to Oxford Street, Piccadilly, Kensington, Tottenham Court Road, Paddington and Victoria. You can also reach several main line stations by underground/ bus easily - Paddington, Marylebone, Euston, Kings Cross. There are restaurants and small shops in the area. I lived near to Marylebone High Street for several years and that is more walkable to Oxford Street, Bond Street, Regents Park, etc. and you can walk to Regent Park, Great Portland Street, Oxford Circus and Bond Street underground stations.

For me Victoria doesn’t have the same vibe although the shopping has improved and you can get to the House of Parliament, Big Ben, Green Park, Oxford Street, etc.

Wherever you finally book, you might find it useful to use the TFL (Transport For London) website and plot some routes to places you want to visit so you get a feel for the travel/walking times.