London Trip Journal

Search

London Trip Journal

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Trip Journal

Hi all! I have posted my journal from my London trip that I went on from December 27th to Janurary 3rd. I would like to welcome any further postings on this message if you feel it is nescessary. I also would like to thank everyone who has responded to my messages in the past and would like you to know that your suggestions ment alot to me. So, without further delay, below is my Journal along with any additional notes which I have felt nescessary to add. Note that names have been changed to protect other band members and their families.

December 27th, 2005- Day 1 Atlanta, Georgia
Today is the first day of the trip, and everyone in the band is so excited, and so am I. I can not believe the day is finally here! We are currrently in the Atlanta airport waiting for our flight to start boarding, and I figured that this would be a good time to start writing my London Journal, even though I'm not in London. The Atlanta Airport has plenty to eat, so I won't have to worry about "airline food" for a while." Well, it's time to board the plane, so I will have to write later.

December 28th, 2005-Day 2 London, England
Today we arrived in London, following a rather turbulant flight, and took a rather short tour of the city befor arriving at The Thistle Charing Cross Hotel. It is very beautiful here, and the day is very nice. After dinner, we went shopping and I have already purchased a few souvineers. I am definately going to enjoy myself here.

December 29th, 2005-Day 3 London, England
Today in the morning we went on a 4 hour tour of the city of London, stopping at many great places to take photographs. After the tour, I paired up with my roommate and his mom and we went out to lunch at Burger king. After Lunch, the rest of our day was consumed by a concert at Westminster Central Hall. The concert hall was, full, and it was very exhillerating to be able to be on the stage in front of the crowd.

December 30th, 2005-Day 4 London, England
Today we went on a 5 hour tour of Windsor Castle, during which I paired off with Mr. and Mrs. Jones, and together we went to the Middle ward gift shop, where I purchased a gift for Grandma. This afternoon was free for sightseeing and I again paired up with Mr. and Mrs. Jones, and we went to the Tower of London by bus, however, when we got there, it was raining and about to close, so we decided to go shopping around town instead.

December 31st, 2005-Day 5 London, England
Today we visited Strattford-Upon-Avon and Warrick Castle. We saw some very famous landmarks and enjoyed some of the best food at Stattford that we have had in the whole trip. We saw Shakespere's Birthplace, Shakespere's grave, and Shakespere's church. At Warrick castle, we saw the Earl of Warrick's house, the Chamber, and the Dungeon. The Dungeon was rather scary and I seriously do not reccomend it to small children. We also climbed to the top of one the watchtowers, and that is another thing that I DEFINITELY do not reccomend to the faint of heart, those afraid of heights, small children, or closterphobic people, however if you do, you will be able to take some of the best pictures you have seen in your life. New Year's Eve in Trafalger Square seemed crowded, but we didn't care much since we had our own gated off area outside of the square to celebrate in, and I enjoyed it.

Janurary 1st, 2006- Day 6 London, England
Today we Marched in the New Year's Day Parade. It was quite an experience, to say the least. I almost dropped my instrument once, forgot my music twice, and got yelled at by the band director twice. After all that, the parade was finally over, with all the evidence having been viewed on National TV. After the Parade, I paired up with Mrs. Doe and went shopping in Piccadilli Circus, coming back to the Hotel by way of Trafalger Square.

Janurary 2nd, 2006-Day 7 London, England
Today was our last full day in London. I paired off with Mrs. Defacto and we went to see the Tower of London, then we took a bus to Piccadilli, and went to Regent street. Finally, we went to Regent Square and saw alot of Homeless people, and then we went on the London eye, and took many photos. At the end of the day, we at at a pub and saw a Show at the Dominion Theatre called We Will Rock you. I highly reccomend seeing it.

I hope this message provides helpful advice to anyone planning a trip to London, and if you have any questions about it, feel free to post a reply, and I will try to answer your question as best I can. I check my messages almost every day, so you will hopefully get your reply soon. Thank you.

Regards,
Band Nerd 08
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 08:07 PM

Hi. Very nice writeup. So how old are you? What airline did you take?

What did you think of England after being there versus what you thought it would be like prior to going?
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 08:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
band nerd - thanks so much for coming back and posting this. After your earlier threads, I wondered how the band trip was turning out.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Jamila,
In response to your question, I am 16 years old. The whole band flew Delta Airlines over to London, and I must say that the service was excellent, and I would recommend Delta to anybody who is traveling in the future.
As far as my view of England, it is alot nicer than I thought it would be. I somehow had the impression that it would not be as industrialized or clean, and it was both of those, and it wasn't as expensive as I had imagined. One thing that was very different than I pictured it was the traffic, if you have not been there before, I must warn you it is super crowded, but then again, what else would you expect in a town of over 5 million?
I hope I answered your question, if not let me know.

Best Wishes,
Band Nerd 08
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 05:34 PM
cpd

glad you had such a nice time. Thanks for reporting.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 09:23 PM

I was in band in high school and college -- it must have been fun to march in such a famous city.

Thanks for posting -- enjoyed your viewpoint.
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

It was quite fun. I hope all of you have enjoyed my journal.
Band Nerd
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 03:58 PM

Hi Band nerd, my daughter was a band nerd too and she did a central Europe band trip and it was a high point of her life. I am so glad you had a great time...you sound like a dear lovey IMO.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

It was a fun trip. I encourage anybody who has this kind of opportunity in their lifetime to take it and run. At first, when my band announced the trip, I was looking at the price tag on it, which was over $2,000 and worrying about being able to pay it off. It was almost enough to make me not go, however I worked out a payment system with my parents and ended up going. I am so glad I did. My advice to anyone else in this situation is to do exactly what I did and not miss out.

Best wishes,

Band nerd 08