Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A question for those that love London/England.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Lea

I have a question for those who love London/England. I just made my first trip in Nov. I cant wait to plan my next visit. I was just wondering how often do you go back? I am trying to be balanced here.

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 02:43 PM
Mel

Start planning now! That's how I dump the &quot;I just left England&quot; blues!<BR><BR>How often do I go back? About twice a year. Watching the airline Web sites will become a daily fixture in your life now. Welcome to the club <BR><BR>

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 03:55 PM
scarlett

Lea, <BR>after my first trip to London, we went back 7 times before I would &quot;try&quot; Paris. My husband lived in London and I am now in the process of convincing him to retire in England...<BR>My daughter went last year for the first time, she is already planning next falls trip.<BR>Don't bother trying to be balanced, enjoy it

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 03:59 PM
Leslie

I usually return to London once a year, for a long weekend usually in February over Presidents' Day weekend, or in November, over Thanksgiving. Try to go to as many shows as there are matinees and evening performances, and fit in a museum or two.

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 04:13 PM
nancy

After spending one week in May 1999 in London (followed with 3 weeks in England) I realized I only touched the surface. I went back by myself to London in October of the same year for 2 weeks and covered more of London - still there was much more to see. It's on my radar screen to go back (hopefully with a friend to share the experience). I think balancing London with some day trips is great.

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 04:30 PM
Pat

Hi Lea,<BR>I try to go to London 3x a year. I've been there 25x so far. Only 2 times this year though. Am planning another trip for the end of March. I watch BBC America and all the Britcoms on my PBS stations to get my fix.<BR>Cheers

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 06:10 PM
natalie

Hubby &amp; I try at least once per year. Although we're going to Italy in may we will spend 2 days pre and post tour visiting London. I could never get tired of England! Did you get to venture outside the city yet?

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 06:16 PM
buzz offen

I took a job so I could work in London a few weeks a year! Is that what you mean by balanced? Just go for it!<BR><BR>I was there 3x so far this year. Looks like I will be there right after Xmas. I use it as a Gateway to the rest of my travels. <BR><BR>Always be ready to snap up a cheap airfare. I f you are located on the East Coast of the US (Boston or NYC) it is easy to do a long weekend!<BR><BR>Have fun! Remember Sales are in January!<BR><BR>Buzzee

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 11:30 AM
metoo

As often as we can afford, and a bit more...

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 12:03 PM
lilly

OK I'm curious. What is you people love so much about London? I'm going for the first time (well I was there for one day a few years ago so I don't think that counts) in March. While I'm looking forward to it, I just have this feeling that it won't do for me what Paris, Italy and a few other places do. I would love to love London - so since there seem to be a lot of you right here who do love it, please tell me why. Thanks.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Merilee

Reply to Lilly: Don't compare London to any other city you've visited while you're there. Just explore it and enjoy it. It has its own special energy and history. I love Paris, but I love London and it's all because they are different.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Sian

There's probably no concrete reason why some people love London, they just do. It's like being in love with someone. Anglophilia or Londonphilia is in the blood or something. You go there with little or no expectations and you're just overwhelmed by the fabulous sights, sounds, smells, people, etc and fall in love. Even mundane things like riding the tube or shopping for groceries is a pleasure. London isn't for everyone but that's fine with me, more flats to choose from for when I visit. I even bought a special DVD player so I can play DVDs only available in Europe to watch in the US. Hope this explains a bit.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 05:17 PM
kathy

I go 3 times a year, but I work for an airline so its easy. One thing I alsway do is the the london theater website--make a list of 7-8 plays I would like to see and then go the 1/2 price- ticket booth and get tiks--sometime they have tons of plays and sometimes you get the lat one yr list but it pays to do your homework--not they never have Lion king , Le Miz etc there but I wouldnt want to see them anyway-sometimes the smaller productions are the best--make sure its the official 1/2 price its the big gray kiosk in the park by the Hippodrome--not those shops on the side street by the pizza places.--they are not really 1/2 price. but maybe less than box office.<BR>Also look at museum websites to see if there is something that interests you

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 05:19 AM
aj

I also love England and London. It is easy to read books, magazines and watch British shows on TV where I live. That is a nice way to &quot;keep in touch&quot; with that English feeling! We were in London in May and will be returning for a short trip this January with our grown children. My husband loves the plays and we will be taking the &quot;kids&quot; to My Fair Lady. As the above posters have mentioned London air fare can be found several times a year at a low rate. Have fun planning your next trip!

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 07:34 AM
kim

I try to go at once a year...and 'balance' myself out by going somewhere I've never been maybe 6 months later. Like an earlier post am on constant lookout for cheap fares.<BR><BR>For me now London is probably akin to comfort food. It's old yet hip and friendly. Not so far removed from a feeling of home. but enough to know you're not in Kansas anymore. <BR>

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Anona

Last March I and two other women went to London for a week. We fell in love, with London that is and are going back in March 2003.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 10:22 AM
Ani

We went to England (including London) and N. Wales for the first time in March. Although we didn't care for London, we LOVED the rest...and are going back albeit to Scotland this coming March. I've also realized that we barely scratched the surface of England and I think we would go every month if we could!!

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 11:24 AM
S. C. DIXON

I made my first trip to London a bit later in life, mid 40’s, and upon my return immediately planned a second trip with my 17 year old daughter so that she could have the experience earlier on than I.<BR><BR>Since then she’s been back twice.<BR><BR>As for me, I've been so fortunate as to go once a year for the past five years generally for at least 10 days. Now, due to some monetary reversals, It doesn’t look like I will make it in 2003 (boo-hoo!)<BR><BR>Last spring I stayed in Cheltenham for a few days, Great Yarmouth for a few days, flew to Paris for most of a week, then back to Yarmouth. I loved it all, and yes, Paris was great, but when it came down to it I was most excited about the final five days of my 3 week trip which I spent alone in London. Yes, it is hard to explain. I've been to several big cities including New York, Paris, Los Angeles, Amsterdam, and enjoyed them all, but as I've heard other Americans say, there was something akin to “coming home” about London. For a great many reasons it is truly one of the world’s fascinating cities.<BR>

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 04:39 AM
ted

I go monthly.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 10:51 AM
Virginia

Made my first trip in Nov. 1983 and have been back every year since (minus 1 year) Have found other parts of the UK that are wonderful, the Cotswolds, Oxford, Wales, Biggins. Been to Ireland twice and loved it, especially the Shannon side and plan on going to Scotland and Wales this coming spring (2003)