London Travelcard Question...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mom, sister, and I are traveling to the UK in a few weeks, and will have 3 days in London.

On the second day, we'll be doing Tower of London and Shakespeare's Globe, so I would like to use the 2-for-1 offers that day. Would it make the most sense to have Oyster cards for the first and third days, and then purchase one-day Travelcards just for the second day (to be able to take advantage of the 2-for-1's)? If so, do we have to purchase the Travelcards that morning, or can we buy them the day before for the next day? Sorry, I hope this makes sense.

Also, our hotel is near the V&A Museum, so does anyone know where we could purchase Travelcards near there? I'm wondering if it might be too much effort just to save one admission at the Tower and one at the Globe.

Lastly, would we all need the Travelcards, or just one of us (the one who'll be purchasing 2-for-1)? I realize that the third person will just have to pay the normal admission prices.

Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you!
Old Mar 5th, 2013, 09:39 AM

The Travelcards must be purchased from a National Rail ticket office NOT a Tube station.

The nearest to he V&A would be Victoria buying from the ticket counter in the bottom left hand corner of the following interactive map. You can buy the day before to save the need for a special trip but do ensure the correct date is on them

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/statio...tml?rtnloc=VIC
Old Mar 5th, 2013, 10:14 AM

Both people need the paper card
Old Mar 5th, 2013, 10:20 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If you are using 2for1's, two of you need to have the paper travelcards (one for each person sharing the voucher)
Old Mar 5th, 2013, 10:22 AM

didn't see jamikins' post (the site is bloody slow for me today and while I was waiting for my post to <i>post</i> . . . jamikins beat me to it )
Old Mar 5th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! I think I get it now.

One more thing. We will be flying into Heathrow at the beginning of our 3 days in London, and then taking the tube back to Heathrow at the end of our 3 days, to pick up our rental car. I think I read somewhere that you can buy a round-trip train ticket from/to Heathrow that we could use for the 2-for-1's. Sorry, I should have included this question at the beginning.
Old Mar 5th, 2013, 11:11 AM

>>I read somewhere that you can buy a round-trip train ticket from/to Heathrow that we could use for the 2-for-1's. <<

Unfortunately - you can't. The only trains (<u>railroad</u> trains) to/from LHR aren't valid for the 2for1's. So buy Oystercards PAYG at LHR and one person will use it for all transport, and the other two will use them for everything except on the day you use the paper travelcards.

Explain the different amount of Oyster travel to the ticket agent at LHR and s/he'll sell you the right amount of PAYG on each Oyster.
Old Mar 5th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks janisj!