London to Glasgow train reservation

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2019, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will travel by train from London to Glasgow. Looking on internet i found dozen of sites that propose reservations, what site do you recommand for a competitive price? Does the first class value exceed the price difference with the second class?

Thanks for your help
Old May 8th, 2019, 02:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you seldom use the train system in the UK then always start on Nationalrail.co.uk and work from the links there. There are a few sites that might save you £1 but most others will be more expensive.

I don't understand the last question?

https://www.seat61.com/ will give you a lot of background info on this route
Old May 8th, 2019, 03:11 AM

Trainline is the best app for train reservations in UK. When I lived there this was the only option I ever used.
Old May 8th, 2019, 03:15 AM
Original Poster

Second question

Thanks for the info, for my second question, do you recommend travelling 1st or 2nd class if the budget is not an issue?
Old May 8th, 2019, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by emily_jablon
Trainline is the best app for train reservations in UK. When I lived there this was the only option I ever used.
Agree with that. It is widely used both by individuals and many corporate companies for UK train travel.

Old May 8th, 2019, 03:38 AM

I have also spent couple of years in London and agree with Emily, trainline is the way to go. Most trains in the UK are pretty sweet quality, so 2nd class always worked for me at least.

Last edited by frvrtrvlng; May 8th, 2019 at 03:41 AM.
Old May 8th, 2019, 04:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I used to use trainline and have discontinued it and prefer redspottedhanky for repeat business. My advice stands

Yes 2nd class should be ok, but you want a bed not a sleep in a chair.
Old May 8th, 2019, 05:47 AM

The Trainiline is a re seller and ALWAYS charges more. Other than a desire to pay an additional booking fee there is no right thinking reason to use re-sellers.

https://www.virgintrains.co.uk/ is the train operator for day time trains and no one sells their tickets for less. Look for Advance tickets.

If budget is no issue then go First Class - it's nicer than Standard but it's not luxury.

Or you could take the new sleeper https://www.sleeper.scot/

Last edited by sofarsogood; May 8th, 2019 at 05:50 AM.
Old May 8th, 2019, 07:22 AM

The Trainline is proof of the power of advertising. They add nothing to the booking experience and charge a fee for the privilege and yet people seem willing to use them.

Nationalrail.co.uk is the place to start looking - then you will be linked to the correct railway company for buying your tickets. No need to pay extra for the Trainline
Old May 8th, 2019, 10:44 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>what site do you recommand for a competitive price?<<

Check National rail to find your train - and then buy from the actual train company. No one else will sell it cheaper. Whether 1st class is 'worth' the difference is entirely up to you - it is a long journey - do you want more comfortable cars and food/drinks included, or is the bottom line more important to you??

BTW here are passes such as senior rail cards and 'Two travel together' that make 1st closer in price to what 2nd costs w/o a pass (of course 2nd would be cheaper still with the same pass). Just something to consider if you want 1st class but have a 2nd class budget - a rail card will make 1st more cost effective.
Old May 10th, 2019, 03:06 AM

Trainline overcharging is news to me. Either they recently started to up their margins or I was just clueless back in a day. But that app really saves lots of time and don't think there's anything like this on the UK train market.