Best Rail/Train to take from London to Edinburgh

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2017, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone assist/suggest the best way/company to purchase train tickets from London to Edinburgh?

I have been searching and ran into multiple different sites and I'm finding it difficult as to where I should take the train from London and where to arrive in Edinburgh and in general which company/site I should go with?

Please help
Old Mar 11th, 2017, 06:36 AM

All British railway ticket retailing sites sell the same tickets at the same prices from exactly the same database.

BUT... Most independent retailers like trainline.com add a £1-£3 fee, train operator websites don't, so it is a total no-brainer to use any train operator site (or at least the one independent retailer who charges no fee, Ticketclever)

AND... If you use the site of the actual operator who runs the specific service you want to book, you sometimes get extra features/functionality.

In this case, use www.virgintrainseastcoast.com as not only will you avoid any extra fees, you'll get a print-your-own ticket and will be able to choose an exact seat from a seating plan as they operate the trains on this route.

Fares from £25 in standard class or £55 in 1st class - 1st class includes access to the lounges in London and Edinburgh and includes food and wine on the train on weekdays, a real treat.

Tip: Almost all the best sights are on the right hand side when going north, so book a window seat on the right hand side of the train.

I've written a guide with photos about the sights to lok out for on the London to Edinburgh train ride at http://www.seat61.com/london-to-edinburgh-by-train.htm
Old Mar 11th, 2017, 06:37 AM

only one train company between London Kings and Edinburgh Waverly (excluding the sleeper)

this one https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/

I should add, the first class is always at the south/London end of the train, so you can then work out what the right hand side will be!

London Kings Cross...
Old Mar 11th, 2017, 06:38 AM

Oh, and it's London Kings Cross to Edinburgh Waverley, KGX to EDB...
Old Mar 11th, 2017, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Wow thanks for this information all, this is very helpful. I do have a question since you mentioned 1st class. I know that coach class is sufficient but would you suggest to go 1st class? I know the prices can be double but sometimes it may not be worth it due to the length of the ride or not really experiencing anything that it deems it necessary.

I will say this is a trip between my son and I and if it's worth it, I don't mind paying double.
Old Mar 11th, 2017, 02:54 PM

If you're traveling from London to Edinburgh which is usually about a 4 1/2 hour journey and you buy advance fare tickets, then, yes, I think it's worth the extra. Some may love citing the free breakfast and lunch as well as free wine served during lunch, but, honestly, that's not why I choose 1 st class. After all, these perks (?) are not really free but one of the reasons why you pay more. I usually grab a croissant from Pret à Manger in Kings Cross station just prior to boarding. It's much better than the train's breakfast. I choose first class because it's almost always quieter and seat selection suits me.

So, if you get a good rate with advance fares and one that you're comfortable with then do so. Otherwise, second class is perfectly fine.
Old Mar 11th, 2017, 04:11 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
How old is your son? -- if a teenager or adult you can get 2 travel together passes and save quite a bit, making 1st class a lot more affordable (even factoring in the cost of the pass itself)

You fill out the 2 together forms at home, buy the advance tickets as though you already have the pass, then when you are in London buy the pass at any train station. then on the train you show the conductor the pass and your tickets.
Old Mar 11th, 2017, 04:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another option your son might enjoy is the night train.

See: http://seat61.com/CaledonianSleepers.htm