Train from London to Edinburgh??

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a three week trip to the UK in September. Our last stop before heading home is the Ryder Cup in Wales. Now I am trying to figure out the rest of the trip.

We really want to spend some time in Wales and are thinking about Scotland also. We are flying in and out of London and cannot fly open jaw b/c using credit card points.

I was thinking we could take the train to Edinburgh, but was wondering if we could take our golf clubs on the train. I've checked the website for the East Coast train and couldn't find the answer. It says oversized luggage may be refused, so I am not sure. I know some will think we are crazy, but we have lugged our golf clubs around Ireland, but we had a car then.

If we get to Edinburgh, we would rent a car once we leave there.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old May 6th, 2010, 10:04 AM

You may want to pay extra and go first class and then i would bet the golf clubs who have plenty of room - Standard class on these trains can be really jammed packed and would be more problematic IME.
Old May 6th, 2010, 10:13 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes you can take clubs. You have to lug them on and off the train w/ your other bags. Same on first or second class.

First class is slightly more comfortable - just depends on what you want.
Old May 6th, 2010, 10:30 AM

The sleepr train from London to Edinburgh can save you a day of your journey.
Old May 6th, 2010, 12:08 PM

First class is slightly more comfortable - just depends on what you want.>

'slightly' i guess janis has never ridden in first class or in second class

I have ridden British trains annually for 40 years and IME there is a VAST difference between classes on this train line and most British trains - much greater than on the Continent

Standard class is often jammed pack - hard to find room even for yourself at times.

First class, designed for needs of wealthy business types, has much much larger seats and usually - almost always, many empty seats and loads of space for bulky items.

No to say there is a 'slight' difference is complete misinformation.
Old May 6th, 2010, 12:19 PM

There is also a big diffence in prices on trains in Britain for 1st class and standard. Better to book well in advance to get a cheaper fare and also to reserve a seat.
Old May 6th, 2010, 12:43 PM

Yes full fare in either class can be really expensive - esp first class - one trip alone like this could practically make a BritRail Pass pay off - if you go the buy at the station as you go option, which few Brits do and get the varying discounted fares - at www.nationalrail.co.uk or nationaexpress east coast - but the early bird does indeed get the worm so snap any cheap fare up as early as possible.

And there are discounted first-class fares but there also seems to be two different first-class cars - the ones with the discounted fares IME are usually chock full but the so-called Gold Zone (extant from long-gone British Rail) cars are first-class first-class and these are amongst the very plushest first-class cars i've ever seen in Europe - and you even get complimentary 'tea or coffee' and snacks the whole way - nothing in 2nd class.

During slack periods folks can often upgrade to the lesser first-class for a few quid.
Old May 6th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all that replied.

I have been trying to figure out the routes, stations, classes, prices, etc. and its a bit overwhelming. I'm finding a wide range of prices without really any explanation as to the difference. This is definitely something I am going to have to spend some time on, but sounds like 1st class is the way to go if not doing overnight.

The sleeper train looks interesting. That way I presume we would have our own sleeper car and floor space for the golf clubs.
Old May 6th, 2010, 01:25 PM

yes i've taken the Caledonian Sleeper trains and had a private single compartment but there are also doubles.

Be sure to book early for specials

Caledonian Sleeper trains London-Scotland | Times, fares & tickets
Feb 25, 2010 ... Timetables, fares, information & online tickets for the Caledonian Sleeper trains from London to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness, Aberdeen, ...
www.seat61.com/CaledonianSleepers.htm

Caledonian Sleeper Train | About the sleeper | ScotRail
Caledonian sleeper facilities include single and twin berth cabins with ... cities that are served by the Caledonian Sleeper; Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, ...
http://www.scotrail.co.uk/caledonian...e-sleeper.html

[PDF] Route 30 Caledonian Sleeper services Edinburgh – London Route 30 ...
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
Edinburgh a. 0714. 0635c 0635e 0627. 0714. 0714. Vacate cabins by. 0730. 0745. 0745. 0730. 0730. 0730. Route 30. Caledonian Sleeper services Glasgow – ...
www.scotrail.co.uk/gf/sleeper%20times.pdf
Old May 6th, 2010, 01:30 PM

<<< That way I presume we would have our own sleeper car and floor space for the golf clubs. >>>

You'll have berths in a 2 berth cabin with limited storage space. If you go first class then they'll be one of you per cabin and you can use the spare bed for storage

<<< nationaexpress east coast >>>

They went several months ago. Trains are now run by eastcoast.co.uk

<<< Standard class is often jammed pack - hard to find room even for yourself at times. >>>

Try the "quiet carriage"

<<< First class, designed for needs of wealthy business types, has much much larger seats and usually - almost always, many empty seats and loads of space for bulky items. >>>

Don't assume there's more space for luggage. Most people travelling 1st class don't take bulky items with them.

In any case if you have bulky items you can check them into the guards van
Old May 6th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

What is the 'quiet carriage' and 'guards van'? Sorry for my ignorance. I have not travelled by train in a long time and never in Britain.

Also, it looks like I can only book up to three months in advance. Does that sound right?

Am we crazy to attempt traveling on the train with 2 sets of golf clubs? I know we will have to lug them on and off, but if its really going to be a ridiculous hassle, I will have to think of a Plan B.

Thanks again.
Old May 6th, 2010, 05:34 PM

In the quiet carriage cell phones, *mobiles*, are not allowed.

I used a Brit Rail pass last year. Call B.E.T.S. and talk with Byron or Linda. 800-441-9413. With a first class pass you don't need to book. Just get on board.

Maybe you can rent goolf clubs in Scotland. Or bring your dolly or your burro.

If you do not take the sleeper I suggest staying a couple of nights in York on the way.
Old May 7th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Quiet Carriage - What a great idea!

Thanks for the number for Brit Rail. I will check on that too.

People always say to rent the clubs, but we plan on playing more than once, so it can get expensive. Also, in our experience, they rarely have women's clubs I can comfortably use. We really like our own clubs. Hence, we put up with lugging them about.

York was part of our original plan. We've heard wonderful things about it. There is really so much to choose from. We need 3 months, not 3 weeks!
Old May 7th, 2010, 09:57 AM

reillygee,

I should have written it out. B.E.T.S. is Budget Europe Travel Service, an agency in Ann Arbor. Byron and Linda are experts and are very generouos with their advice. They also sell passes. Their web site is
http://budgeteuropetravel.com./

I railed from Edinburgh to London with a stop over in York last May using a Brit Rail Pass. There were plenty of empty seats in first class. The cars had free WiFi, and it worked, and electrical outlets. British electricity and plugs. Free coffee and tea. Hot and cold food available for purchase. Service was over the top. Some passengers were drinking champagne.

I believe that day trains and sleepers depart from different stations in London. Check with Byron or Linda.

Another passenger told me that the walk up price from York to London was &pound;300. He bought in advance for &pound;90.

It was National Express then. AlanRow says that the company has changed. British trains operate on some kind of a franchise system as I've been told. It was a beautiful train.

For your clubs there is an extra luggage storage area at the end of the car. Fore!

York Minister cathedral is overwhelming.
Old May 7th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info Spaarne and everyone else.

I am thinking the sleeper is the way to go, although some time in York is tempting. Since we will be renting a car once we get to Scotland, it does not seem that the rail pass is such a deal for us.
Old May 7th, 2010, 06:50 PM

reillygee,

May I ask a favor? When you get to Edinburgh can you go into the lost and found office on the station platform and ask if they found a black wool fedora size 59 made in Italy? If they have it can you give me contact information so I can contact them and attempt to get it back? I left it on the train from Glasgow to Edinburgh. Long long shot, I know! Thank you.
Old May 8th, 2010, 07:08 PM

You have to get back to London, don't you? I suggest looking at the cost of a 3 day Brit Rail Flexipass, especially if you are over 60, and comparing that with the cost of point to point return tickets. As Palenque writes *one trip alone like this could practically make a BritRail Pass pay off*.
Old May 10th, 2010, 05:59 AM

If that fedora shows up i'll eat my hat - but here's wishing it will and if it does please tell us!
Old May 10th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Our plan is to arrive in London, take the train to Edinburgh and then get a car. So we will be returning to London with a car, so I don't think the 3 day Brit Rail Flexipass is the way we want to go. But please tell me if I'm wrong.

I can check for the hat, but that won't be until September. There isn't a way to get the number to call now? If they have it, I will be sure to post!

Now that we have decided to stay in Edinburgh, does anyone have any accomodation suggestions? Rick Steves lists some places that are a bus ride from the town. I was hoping to stay closer to town, but the budget may prevent this. We are hoping to stay under $150/night and are open to hotel or B&B.

Also, we haven't rented the car yet, but I think Hertz is located there or Autoeurope. Does anyone know where these pick up locations are?

Thanks again. This forum is great.
Old May 10th, 2010, 08:21 AM

I just want to go on record that using Frequent Flyer miles does not require you to fly into and out of the same airport. Maybe for some airlines, but not for all. I've flown open jaws using FF miles several times, most recently last fall on British Air.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -