London Theater Rcommendation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family and I will be in London the first week of July. We have two teenage daughters (13 and 15) and would like to take them to the theater one evening.

Can anyone recommend a great show for us?? Musicals/comedy would be the best...
Thanks!!
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 01:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Consider looking at this website which has an excellent synopses of what's playing theatrewise in London, including the ability to sort the offerings by genre and age suitability:

http://www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk/

It also has a daily listing of the shows that are available at the deeply discounted TKTS booth in Leicester Square.

For what it's worth, my 13 YO loved We Will Rock You.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 01:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whoops. Hit reply too soon...

The year before we were in London with a group including a couple of 15 YOs. Everyone enjoyed Les Miz, Mamma Mia and Phantom. Yes, no one's brain got stretched too far open but the shows were well done, the music was fun, and everyone was entertained.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 01:52 PM

Mary Poppins is getting great reviews.

My favorite and one that would suit 13& 15 year olds is 'The Lion King'
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 02:22 PM

Well, it's not exactly a comedy, but my daughters loved "Woman in Black".
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 02:29 PM

We just got back from London on Monday and saw Lion King and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Both are spectacular. I think we acutally liked Chitty Chitty Bang Bang a little better but both were top notch.

One thing to recommend the CCBB show is that we got half price Tickets at TKTS, Leichester Sq. You will pay full boat for Lion King. The stalls (ground floor) runs about 45 pounds. Fame, Stomp, Rat Pack, Blood Brothers, Mamma Mia, We will Rock You and a bunch of others will make your decision difficult.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 04:50 AM

Mary Poppins is the hit of the bunch for kids and adults to enjoy. The Lion King has wonderful puppetry but the story is so rubbish that it is irritating to watch. Mary Poppins is very popular so you will probably have to pay full price.

Woman in Black is excellent! But it's 'scream out loud' scary...that's what makes it so great! Tix are half price on www.lastminute.com

The Producers is also very good. But! You will be in town in time to see Ewan McGregor in 'Guys & Dolls' which opens on the 6th June '05. Getting tickets for that will be tough given the star quality so if you buy in advance of your trip through the theatre, you should be able to get them.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 05:31 AM

I went to London last January as a part of a study abroad program in Theater with Samford University. We went to see an abundance of shows, so I thought I could help you out.

If "Stones in his Pocket" is still running - it's a must-see - as far as I can remember it is suitable for young teenagers - it is a comedy, but what makes it stand out is there are only 2 actors in the cast that play anywhere from 6 to 10 different characters throughout the show. It is very well produced - the actors are super-talented and by intermission, you've totally forgotten that there are only 2 men on stage! It's amazing!

"Woman in Black" is also very good. It is a Thriller so you should use your own discretion about your teens seeing it. Like one other person said - it's definately a "scream out loud" play - but that was part of the fun of it.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is very good for all audiences. You might be familiar with the old Disney Movie adaptation of this one.

But in my opinion if you can only see one musical while you are there, my favorite was Thouroughly Modern Millie! It's filled with fun songs, exciting choreography and just all around a fabulous musical for everyone to enjoy.

If you and your husband can get away from the kids - Betrayal is beautifully done, but I wouldn't suggest it for your daughters because it is a tad provacative having to do with the betrayal of a marriage.

One note about the half price ticket booths, however - obxgirl is right in that the one in Leicester Square is a great way to get discounts - and is legit, but traveling with one of my professors who travels to London at least once a year to see shows- not all booths in london that say they are "half-price ticket booths" are legit. I would stick to the one in Liecester Square if you choose to wait and get your tickets when you get there.

Also, while all these shows are wonderfully produced - don't forget about the National Theater Productions - they are by far the best in London - you'll have to check out what is playing when you go, because they have three different theaters that run up to three different plays a day - so you'll have to see what will be playing while you are there - In my opinion, you can't go wrong seeing anything in the National Theater because it employs the best of the best in the business!

Good Luck and i hope that i proved helpful with your quandry. Have fun in London! It's a wonderful city with lots to see!
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 07:18 AM

Hi

We saw the Phantom of the Opera at Her Majesty's Theatre. It was amazing. The music may not be to every teenagers' taste (nor mine either) but it was visually stunning. So perhaps run it by them first. We pre bought our tickets on the internet and I would strongly suggest this option to ensure seats.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 07:29 AM

WHenwe were there a year ago with our kids (same ages as yours), I let them mutually decide on a show. My son is not crazy about musicals (although he loved Hairspray). Unless they were able to agree on a show we weren't going to bother. The picked the COmplete Works of SHakespeare Abridged. I don't know if it's still playing, but my kids laughed hysterically through the entire show. This would not have been my 1st or even 2nd choice, but it was worth it, just having my kids enjoy the show so much.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 12:03 PM

Buy your Guys and Dolls tickets NOW. I bought mine two months ago for a Monday performance because the Fri. and Sat. performances were sold out.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 01:49 PM

Complete Works of Shakespeare ended its run earlier this month