BEST MUSICAL IN LONDON?

Old Nov 12th, 2003, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

BEST MUSICAL IN LONDON?

In your opinion, what is the best musical now playing in London? What should I expect to pay for an evening performance, average seating? Thank you.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 07:56 PM

There have been several long and detailed discussions about this very topic recently. Scroll down until you find them or do a search on London musicals.

But I'm not sure how to answer you. What kind of musical do you want? What is more important -- singing, staging, story? Average seating? Top price tickets for musicals are around 45 pounds.

Most fun musical? probably Mama Mia.
Best musical score? probably the old chestnut Anything Goes.
Best British musical for a good cry? Blood Brothers.
Most raucous musical? Chicago.
Most unusual? Bombay Dreams or Jerry Springer, the Opera.
Most striking production? Lion King
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 09:53 AM

Jerry Springer the Opera is so much fun you won't stop laughing for weeks!
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 03:02 PM

I saw Mamma Mia and Bombay Dreams last week in London. I was really looking forward to seeing Mamma Mia. However, of the two, Bombay Dreams was my favorite--I loved the dancing and colorful costumes. Although I love Abba, Mamma Mia seemed slow by comparison. We purchased the tickets (19 GBP for Bombay Dreams and 25 GBP for Mamma Mia) at the theater on the day we attended . Mamma Mia was not available at TKTS, and Bombay Dreams theater was across the street from our hotel. The seats were o.k.
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 04:42 PM

Is Taboo still playing?
Saw it early this year with Boy George and it was quite simply stunning.... great music, outlandish costumes, wicked humour and thought provoking. Definitely the most outrageous show in London and a must see.... and rather different from most of the others in London at the moment which are merely the London productions of what are, let's face it, global franchises - the MacMusical if you will!

Dr D.
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 05:50 PM

The production of Anything Goes is really wonderful. As mentioned, the score is fabulous, and the cast is too. Blood Brothers and Mamma Mia are also good choices.