Search

London Theater

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2004, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Theater

I'm having trouble deciding between seeing "Phantom of the Opera" or "Les Miserables" while in London. I also want to see "Blood Brothers". Would appreciate your comments. Thanks
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 09:34 PM

Author: blondiepopo
Date: 01/31/2004, 12:45 am

Message: Another question? Is the Complete Works of Shakespeare funny and worth seeing?

I'll answer both of your questions on this one thread (you really don't need to start a whole new thread - just tack your 2nd question to the first one)

The Complete Works . . is hysterical and definitely "worth it" if you get your tickets at the TKTS 1/2 price booth. It is almost always available.

Phantom, Blood Brothers and Les Miz have been running for years and years. They have really become sort of old war horses. How long will you be in London? if more than a couple of days you'd have time to see all of the shows. All of them are usually available at TKTS. Phantom and Les Miz are sold @ 25% off and Blood Brothers is always 1/2 price.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 10:38 PM

Phantom is a "fun show"...Les Miserables is a "serious" one. Blood Brothers..in between. Try the South Bank at noon for free lobby concerts.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 05:54 AM

I guess I know what GSteed means, but normally when I think of a "fun" show, I think of big brassy musical comedies -- you know, like 42nd Street or Thoroughly Modern Millie. Phantom might be called "fun", but in a whole different way.
If you've never seen any of the three you mention, I think it would be a tough choice. Although I frequently recommend Blood Brothers since it is so "uniquely" London, if you had to eliminate from your list, it might be the first to go. The other two are just so big and well done by comparison.

And yes, I agree that the Complete Works fo Shakespeare is great fun -- but don't give up any of the others for that. If you have some extra time and can squeeze in another one, then by all means see it -- but nobody should have to pay more than half price for it as there are tickets available all kinds of ways for half price.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

At the last minute,my son will not be able to go with me to London so I will be going alone. Thought the theater might give me something to do in the evening since I've had to change my plans. Is it a city that you can still have a good time in if you're by yourself? Will be there from 2/15-2/18
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 09:18 AM

Mama Mia by all means. It will make you forget your troubles.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 12:12 PM

Don't worry - London is perfectly safe and totally enjoyable on your own. It is too bad your son acn't go w/ you, but don't let that put a crimp in your plans.

And a positive - since you are now looking for single seats you can usually get into any play in town. At the TKTS 1/2 price booth singles will usually be fabulous seats.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 12:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
London is a fantastic city to do on your own. Sorry your son can't go but you will still enjoy yourself. And janis is so right...you'll be able to get great single seats at the theatre!
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 04:30 PM

I've been to London many times solo, and it's great place for that. I go to the theatre alot, and you won't feel strange at all solo! Haven't seen Blood Brothers, but Phantom and Les Miz are both wonderful. Try to see both if possible. Going to the theatre is a great way to spend the evening there.
Also, an evening "London Walk" is good too. The London Walks brochure is at most hotels - the walks are fun, and the guides are really great.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 04:57 PM

London is fabulous both with a companion and solo! I hope you have a great time.
I saw Les Miz in August and Blood Brothers at the beginning of January. Both were very well done and enjoyable. My advice is to go to the tkts booth and decide based on the best seats and prices.
Other great London solo activities are the National Gallery (the audio guide is particularly good) and the British Museum.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 06:22 PM

By the way, a lot of people I know said the same thing we did after attending a show in London. We could not believe how casually they dress there. The dress for Les Mis was more casual than we would go in to see a movie in Calif. We peeled our nylons and the guys their ties and jackets when the vendors sold ice cream right in the theatre during intermission.