Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London, Stonehenge, Bath, Glamis Castle-Scotland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2003, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am formulating a seroiusly crazy, seat-of-the-pants visit next time the airfare dives. Don't care about the weather! Can I do the above, while avoiding driving, on a student's budget? Wanna hear some great traditional music, eat lots of local foods, meet some nice people, hear those great accents and see all that I can see. Any tips for a girl on a mission?
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 11:07 AM

I don't know about the Scotland part, but you can take the train from London to Salisbury (a great town), which is about 10 miles from Stonehenge. There are buses from Salisbury to Stonehenge and back.

Then you can train from Salisbury to Bath.

Look at www.britrail.com for schedules.

Karen
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 11:47 AM

The 400 miles from Salisbury to Dundee seems an awfully long way to go (and come back)to see one castle. Glamis is also a serious distance from the nearest cheapo airport. So you'll need to hit the web sites to see if you can get an affordable train fare from London to Dundee. Try qjump and the train operators' sites (GNER for daytime trains to Dundee and Edinburgh, Virgin for daytime to Glasgow and Scotrail for overnight). Steel yourself for a shock, but play round with lots of permutations, and a deal might come up

OK, you like English accents. But wanting to hear traditional music and eat local food in England is...well, unusual. Humour us. What kind of music or food were you thinking of? There's a limit to how often you can listen to "Greensleeves" or eat fish and chips.

Flummery, lemon posset, syllabub and all the rest of Eliza Acton's repertoire are tough to come by.

But concentrate on Britpop and today's typical food (bastardised Punjabi, Cantonese and Turkish Cypriot - and deep-fried Mars Bars in Scotland), and you'll have a great time.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 11:51 AM

How long are you planning on? Of course the London/Bath/Stonehenge bit is easy by public transport..

Glamis is a WHOLE different story. It is near Forfar north of Dundee. You can fairly easily get to Scotland by plane or train - but there is no train to Glamis/Forfar. There are some local buses but they are not terribly convenient.

This is a weirdly fractured itinerary. Isn't there more you want to see in the south? Or conversely - more you wish to see up in Scotland?
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

OK, so I'm a geek! Forgive me! As far as the music-I have an image of pubs where people sing songs and jam. Hate pop anything-love acoustic music. What do I want to eat? Whatever the locals eat, just not McDonald's! I know it's fractured, but I have SOOOO much I want to see, I just guess those were the things that seem most important. I love the idea of a train cross-country. What am I missing?
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 01:10 PM

As others have said, the Stonehenge/Bath part is easy. Also, everyone in England speaks with one of those "great accents," so they won't be hard to find.

I'd recomend that you spend at least one night each in Bath and Salisbury, in a B&B rather than a hotel. Ask your hosts and other locals about non-touristy pubs and the type of music you're seeking; ask where would they take their visiting cousin?! Don't be afraid to strike up conversations with strangers in pubs and such -- just don't bother people who are actually trying to work, and don't give out any personal information. Have a great time!
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 02:58 PM

Agree with the others that Glamis is too far to go. There are lots of great things to see that are closer.

Got a good yuk from falleruk ... fish n chips and Greensleeves J. Perhaps froggy will find a pub where they are ripping out some good Vaughn Williams tunes or Tippett or Britten .... anyway ... BTW froggy, you may be thinking of Ireland when you think of traditional music in pubs. It's a bit more likely there though you are just as likely to pick up a balladeer singing Neil Diamond tunes.

Bill
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 07:38 PM

I originally thought you had been to the UK before and these were just some special places you had missed. But (reading between the lines) I now think you haven't been there -- or maybe never outside of London. Traditional acoustic music is not a biggy in pubs. You won't find many English pubs where folks sit around singing old folk songs.

And the "cross country" train trip is basically most the length of the country. Getting to Scotland by train is a piece of cake - but you want to go to one castle not near any train station and not really near any bus lines.

First - look at a map and see the distances involved. Scotland is a TERRIFIC place to visit - but you would certainly want to see and do more than just slog to Glamis Castle . . . . .

Personally I think you have several misconceptions, both about modern-day Great Britain and logistics of getting around. A side trip to Glamis from London/Bath is sort of like taking a side trip from Boston to Tennessee..
Old Dec 31st, 2003, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

Lots of pretty things to see from Boston to Tennessee! Nope, I've never been to the UK (yes to abroad elsewhere, though). I thank y'all for your help, esp. the B&B suggestion. I had thought that might be the way to go, since I will be traveling alone and will likely only have a few days. You all might be right about staying put closer to London; I'am sure I can find lots to see and do. I just tend to shrink away from tourist stuff. As far as music goes, there are always places that play traditional local music (there are 'round here.) Gotta be so there, too. Thank you for all the thoughts. I'll check back later in case anyone else posts.
Old Dec 31st, 2003, 05:34 AM

There are pubs that will offer some sort of live music, but in England that could be either jazz of various kinds or wouldbe lounge-style singers, both of them of variable quality. You rarely get pub piano singalongs these days.

You could do a Google for "live music"+pub+gig and see what turns up.

You can find plenty of romantic/interesting castles much nearer London than Glamis!
Old Dec 31st, 2003, 06:30 AM

The best source for listings of pub and club gigs for Bath is the local paper - Bath Chronicle.

http://www.thisisbath.co.uk/

http://www.theporter.co.uk
http://www.molesclub.co.uk

My favourite is the Freshford Inn which has folk on Sundays and jazz on Thursdays - but it's out of town.

... or you could always go and singalong with The Wurzels

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Dec 31st, 2003, 06:41 AM

Your're in luck. Aer Lingus has a current promotion from Chicago, Boston, NY or DC to Dublin or Shannon Ireland for $200 RT! From LA is $300 RT. Fares are good thru the end of Feb. (add $20 for weekend travel). Internet only.

http://www.aerlingus.com/cgi-bin/obel01im1/index.jsp

click on "From the USA"
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 07:12 AM

I think the Scottish bit and Glamis and traditional music are all doable, but Bath and Stonehenge are just too far to go!!

(just kidding guys; but I'm reminded of the chap at the opening of teh Scottish Constitutional Convention who was introduced as being from Stornoway, one of the remote parts of Scotland. His response was that it wasn't remote at all,he only live a couple of miles from there; whilst Edinburgh, on the other hand....)

froggy, there are a number of pubs in Edinburgh and Glasgow where you'll get jam session of folk music any night of the week. There is also a network of folk clubs, which if you follow them will show you different part of Scotland every day and different music every night. But that might be hard to do on public transport.

Check out BBC Scotland's Travelling Folk website for continuously updated details.

OTOH, folkies are, IMHO, amongst the most friendly and welcoming around. I think you could do London, Stonehenge and Bath, then Edinburgh and Glasgow on some sort of rail saver ticket. You could certainly find cheapish B&Bs to stay in, and you'd need to marry up with an Edinburgh or Glasgow bus trip to get you to Glamis.

Or add in Aberdeen to the itinerary and I'll take you down there. To coin an American expression, you go, girl! I wish I had your enthusiasm and energy.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the great info! I think I have decided to move around in the lower portion of England, and forgo Scotland (sigh!) this time. Thanks for the invite, Sheila! Bath is looking like a fun place, and then Salisbury. Next on to Dover and Canterbury and then return to London. I've got about week. Anyone know cheap places to stay? Also, I hear there is a "scenic path" running from Dover to Canterbury. Anyone know about this? Just how far is it? Also, can I get from city to city on the Rail Pass, or is that just for inside London?
Thanks again!!!!!!
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Sylvia

You could be thinking of the North Downs National Trail
It goes from Farnham and ends in Dover. It takes in Canterbury along the way.
The whole thing is about 151 miles and takes an average of 14 days.
Of course you don't have to walk the whole thing!
Http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/factf...p?trailCode=nd
Or http://tinyurl.com/2pagr

You can see pictures at
Http://www.contours.co.uk/self-guide...-downs-way.htm

I think that Dover is about 15 miles from Canterbury, so it would be a longish walk, fine if you are young and fit.