Cotswolds countryside

Search

Cotswolds countryside

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cotswolds countryside

We would like to explore Cotswolds countryside, for 2 days, by public transportation if it is possible, starting from Bath, staying in Cotswolds B&Bs (I mean, not as daytrips from Bath), returning to London. Will appreciate any suggestions.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 09:11 PM

You can't really "explore the Cotswold countryside" in two days, starting from Bath, by public transport.

Bath has very limited public transport connections with the Cotswolds: it comes down really to a bus several times a day to Tetbury and Chipping Sodbury. Tebury is a very pretty town, and a pleasant base for walking in the immediate area. But its public transport links elsewhere are very limited. Details of all public transport in this part of the Cotswolds at http://www.cotswoldsaonb.org.uk/file...sTtable08a.pdf

Browse the whole of the www.cotswoldsaonb site for pretty exhaustive information about the area

Now there's not that much to be said, in my view, for exploring the Cotswolds. Base yourself in one Cotswold town - and Tetbury's just as good as anywhere else - potter round it, do some serious walking in the countryside roundabout, and you're learning infinitely more about the area than you'll ever get from driving from one coach party-infested tearoom to another. And having a far more relaxing time. Getting to know one bit of the Cotswolds beats exploring the whole area hollow, in my book.

If - heaven knows why - exploring matters, you need either a car or to join a Bath-based tour.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 09:39 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
igortek: My head is spinning Can't keep up w/o a scorecard.

I thought you were planning on London, Bath and Scotland. Now we are trying to squeeze in the Cotswolds? If you want to do visit the Cotswolds - it would be easier from London than from Bath. There are trains from London to Moreton-in-Marsh. How about - tell us how many days total you have. . . . . .
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Original Poster

Well, the Scotland is gone - I guess none of us is young enough, or brave enough, to learn the new driving habits...

Here is our problem. We have total of 10 days. I would gladly spend them in London, but most of my companions have visited London before. So we have to either find "out of the beaten path" London, or find other places that do not require driving. So far, we decided on 2 days trip to Bath, and that's it.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 11:32 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK - can't post much right now (it's 12:30 AM here and I need <i>some</i> sleep afterall )

But just one thing to think about. If you really want to go to Scotland - then go. Honestly, you can see more of Scotland by public transport than you can the Cotswolds.

For your 10 days - how about 6 days in London w/ 1 day trip by train to Bath. 1 day/night in York (train up from London). 3 days in Edinburgh (train up from York). That could be 2 days for Edinburgh and 1 day on a guided coach tour - there are many to choose from that go all over. To Loch Lomond, to Loch Ness and a bit of the Highlands, to St Andrews - just lots of options.

Or 2 days in Edinburgh and one day by train to Stirling, or to St Andrews or Aberdeen or lots of places you can do as a day trip from Edinburgh.