Search

London "Rules"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 02:45 PM
Rebekah

London "Rules"

Has anyone ever ate at "Rules" in London, and if so what did you think?

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 02:49 PM
You

Well, it is very popular and expensive and you have to know which word to use : eat, ate or eaten.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 03:45 PM
MJN

We ate at Rules. The room was interesting but the food and service were not great, especially for the price.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 05:02 PM
Patrick

I've done the pretheatre special a couple of times and loved it, but it has jumped up pretty dramatically in price the last couple of years. It's my usual spot the first night in London when we don't go to the theatre -- normally we eat after the theatre. We had one "regular" dinner at full prices, and it was fine. The atmosphere was wonderful, the food very good -- especially if you order the more unusual game courses. Their sticky toffee pudding is to die for. I must agree that it is a little expensive for what it is, that's why I always order something I couldn't get anywhere else.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 05:23 PM
mimi taylor

It was very nice, olde England . I was taken there by a friend's uncle so the service was excellent but the menu geared to meat(I prefer fish) was very good and if anyone is from the Boston area, it's Like our old Locke-Ober's WAS!

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 07:03 AM
elaine

I ate there last Feb, pre-theatre. I loved it. It was very hectic at that time of night and some of us had to request our checks more than once because the waiters were rushing around and there were many of us wanting to leave at the same time. I think after 8pm might be saner. But I thought the food was very good and my dessert, sticky toffee pudding, was almost worth my trip just by itself.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 07:12 AM
xxx

Would you be given 'the bums rush" if you just went inside for coffee and sticky toffee pudding?

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 07:45 AM
mhs

topping because I had the same thought as I read the prior responses. If you go about 8pm or after the pre-theatre rush time, is requesting just "coffee &" accepted?

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 07:57 AM
Patrick

Certainly not at 8 PM, as that is prime dinner time. Pretheatre is offered as a special, because otherwise they'd be less busy than at 8 or 8:30. Possibly if you went after 10 -- post theatre dessert and coffee would be acceptable. <BR><BR>I suggest you go to the Rules website and email them and ask -- easy to do.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 07:59 AM
Ron

Sounds like an inexpensive way to scout out the place. You could come back again for dinner, if it appeals to you.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Patrick

Sorry, I meant to include the website:<BR>www.rules.co.uk

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 08:09 AM
Wayne

I too have eaten a few times at Rules. I found the food in general to be good, the service average to above average (on non-busy nights) and the prices to be a bit high for what you get. But if you put a price on old London atmosphere, it's probably worth it.<BR><BR>As for ordering only coffee or tea during the evening rush hour, I wouldn't advise it.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 08:29 AM
starspinners

Two years ago I was treated to dinner at Rules by an English friend. <BR>The food was very good , many entrees featured game raised especially for the restaurant.<BR>What I enjoyed most ( besides the pleasant company *S*) was that we were seated at a corner table directly beneath the huge characterture of Margaret Thatcher dressed in a suit of armor.<BR>All the walls were covered with political cartoons and I wish I 'd had the opportunity to walk around and look at them up close.

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 05:36 PM
Lea

I ate at Rules while in London over Thanksgiving. I thought it was a great experience. The food was a bit disappointing, but it was a very cultural experience. I loved it!!! The service for us was outstanding.<BR>I would definitely recomment eating there at least once for a true English experience.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 03:11 AM
zzz

Someone asked if they could stop by Rules in the afternoon and have just coffee and dessert. I emailed them with that question and here is the reply I received this morning: <BR><BR>&quot;So sorry but you would need to have a main course with us. It is so very busy we cannot accommodate just coffee &amp; dessert even in the afternoons. I hope you can make a visit with us.&quot;<BR>

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 07:41 AM
Kh

I go there every time I visit London. I took my mother there this summer since it was her first time to England. I wanted her to experience true &quot;old British&quot; food. I have never had problems with them. The food, atmosphere, and service have always been great!!

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 10:55 AM
KathyA

WE were there over Thanksgiving and had a wonderful fish dinner--the Dover sole for two. Came with spinich and frites and was just fabulous (though pricey).