Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London Restaurants (Not Expensive and Informal)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2003, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If Amanda (who was staying at Thistle Kensington Gardens) is still out there. Forgot to list restaurants we enjoyed while in London last spring. I'll list in order of preference. Unfortunately charge card bills do not have addresses and my mind is slipping so I don't recall specifically.<BR><BR>Como Lario - Italian. Believe was in Convent Gardens. Had duck w/ cherry sauce. Not stuffy but felt a little underdressed. My husband and I had sneaks and dungarees since we were at Cantebury and Dover earlier in the day; were starving and did not want to search for some place good to eat. While not trashy maybe a little too informal. Had a couple of snobs next to us who were very vocal about their their millons but we ignored and enjoyed our dinner. This was the only restaurant we made reservations at. Could not find the place and went to a ritzy hotel for directions and their clerk was sweet enough to call for reservations and we walked right over.<BR><BR>Wodka Restaurant Ltd. - Polish. Try the peorgies (sic). Lots of beers and, of course, vodkas. I had cider which was good. **Coupon in London for Less (Go-Today). Informal.<BR><BR>Belgo Centraal - Belgium. Mussels and fries. Lots of different beers. I am not normally a beer drinker but liked their apple beer. Believe this was theatre district. Long tables - very informal. <BR><BR>Alfred. English. Don't recall location but was very good. I had pork belly with potatoes and fried onion rings. Creme brulee (which I always get if its on the menu). We went late and it was empty. Another informal. <BR><BR>Livebait. Seafood. It was our anniversary and we had their seafood tower for two and lots of wine. Was very interesting. Cockleshells - oh well. Put one of those suckers in my mouth and it popped out like a projectile. We enjoyed although a wee bit expensive. This was near Thistle Kensington Gardens. Maybe a few blocks.<BR><BR>Had lunch at a restaurant near Kew Gardens. Right as you get off the tube. It is actually a bakery/take out and there is seating in the back. Very good. We each had &quot;pies&quot;.<BR><BR>Good eats.<BR><BR>
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 06:26 AM
Lola

<BR>Perogies <BR><BR>I love that little bakery in Kew. We go there when we visit friends who live over by the gardens. Right down that street, to the left is a lovely Indian restaurant that is quite affordable.<BR><BR>My misfortune has been to find only expensive and not very good restaurants in the Covent Garden area, Bellinis or something like that was the worst! Raw,crunchy risotto and waiters with attitudes for too much money!<BR>One of my favorite streets for eating in London is Frith St in Soho. Alistair Little and a zillion other places in the area are good.<BR>a Great Thai place in So Ken is Bangkok, a small restaurant near the Harrington Hall Hotel, excellent Thai!<BR>

Old Mar 14th, 2003, 06:38 AM

We found good food at a reasonable price at the Red Lion Pub (upstairs restaurant) near Parliament. Also had a couple of nice meals at the Duke of York (again, upstairs) near Victoria Station and Bella Pasta.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Topping for Donna or Amanda
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 02:12 PM

Lola, that reference to the bad Italian place sounds like Bertorelli's -- extremely popular and one of the worst excuses for an Italian restaurant ever --and the attitude sounds familiar to. I don't know why they remain so popular. In fact they opened another location in Soho, in addition to their huge one next to Covent Garden Opera House.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 02:29 PM

Another bad restaurant in Covent Garden is St Martin's Cafe. They even managed to make rotten pizza and our friend said her Italian dish tasted warmed over [at lunch]. Was the Kew restaurant the Maids of Honour? It was charming and quite good.
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Daph. Not Maids of Honour - recall that was where I wanted to go but it was closed. Just a small bakery right as to get off the tube. There are small stores to your left and it is on that corner.