Reload this Page >

London Restaurant Suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 08:48 AM
Eileen

I will be in London for 5 days on business and will be entertaining clients most of the time. I'd like some suggestions for London restaurants - good food, nice atmosphere (not too loud so can carry on conversation), price not important (but not $100 per person!).<BR><BR>Thanks!

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Teresa

Eileen, my favorite restaurant in London is The Blue Elephant, a thai restaurant not only beautiful but with delicious food and wonderful service. If you decide to go there book in advance.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Sue

Terrance Conran's Quaglino's and for Indian, Bombay Brasserie.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 07:38 PM
nancy

I highly recommend these 2 restaurants. Good food, cozy atmosphere. The price (in 1999) was $30 including wine per person. They're both located near the Victoria Station tube.<BR><BR>Bumbles, Buckingham Palace Rd at Bressendon Place - had excellent duck<BR><BR>Carriages – kitty-corner from Bumbles <BR>

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 04:20 AM
Fi

The Criterion at Piccadilly Circus is a stunning restaurant with superb food and service also. It is an amazing huge vaulted room with the most incredible gold mosaic ceiling. Fairly pricy - probably &pound;40+ per head depending on how expensive your wine tastes are, but definitely worth it. I also like the restaurant in the Great Court at the British Museum - a bit more low key and less expensive, but with reliable food and a very original setting.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 05:41 AM
bb

It's great you have a large budget to eat in London. Unlike many world-class cities, I find London the worst city in which to get a decent meal at a fair price. It seems that one can eat well only if one has alot of money allocated for meals otherwise the food one gets is practically inedible. Many people on this forum have said that it's because London caters to tourists so the prices are much higher than other areas and they recommend to eat outside or closeby London for meals at a decent cost. Why is it like this? If you visit Paris or Rome, for example, you can eat well for much less than you do in London. You don't have to go outside the city limits to do so.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 06:19 AM
Lisa

Eileen,<BR><BR>Our favorite restaurant in London is Zafferano's. Wonderful Italian food, great service, have loved every meal there. We've been there with clients as well, and it works very well for that need. <BR><BR>Have fun,<BR><BR>Lisa<BR><BR>

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 08:02 AM
Jim Steel

BB, you don’t have to go out of the City limits to eat well, just out of the West End tourist ghetto. There are lots of other economic reasons too, but I getting very bored of this subject…. Buy Time Out next time your in London.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 08:54 AM
bettyk

Nancy, I've seen your various posts on Fodor's about Bumbles. However, when we stayed at the Rubens Hotel in May I saw that Bumbles was shuttered and there were signs about a new restaurant going up in its place.<BR><BR>Just thought you'd want to know.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 09:09 AM
kate

Actually bb, the high price of London restaurants is more to do with the business community than tourism.<BR><BR>Average price at a decent central restaurant – 40 GBP per head. Buy a copy of Harden's Guide to London Restaurants (like Zagats). It'll tell you more than the anwers to this post ever will.