Search

Great London Restaurant

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2004, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great London Restaurant

Hi,

Our girls trip to London and the Cotswolds is coming up in less than 2 weeks.
We are getting very excited!
I know I have asked about London restaurants before but this is different because we really want a very special place for our last night in London. The other suggestions were terrific for everyday fare but we want something fabulous. We don't want Indian food ( please don't be offended if you are an Indian food advocate) and we don't want far out cuisine either( eel, pheasant, octopus or anything unusual). We will spend more than usual also- ( max $ 75.00 a person
with a drink) please let me know what all of you think). natjgc
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 02:42 PM
ira

Hi nat,

For traditional British cooking in an elegant and refined atmosphere I suggest Simpson's in the Strand, one of Sherlock Homes's favorites.

http://www.the-savoy-group.com/Simps...an/default.asp
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 02:55 PM

Criterion can be a cool place - the food is usually great and the gold mosaic ceiling and setting is very cool but the service can sometimes be somewhat snotty...

Old Sep 29th, 2004, 02:58 PM

While I respect Ira's opinion, I'd opt for Rules over Simpson's for what you describe. Not only the oldest restaurant in London but one of the most "over the top" in decor and atmosphere and excellent traditional food and game. You could expect to see Henry Higgins and Col. Pickering in the next room!

see www.rules.co.uk

If you want something more "trendy" and fun, I love The Atlantic Bar and Grill in the "basement" of a wonderful old hotel ballroom in Mayfair. Excellent food, really good service, and my favorite -- they bring the bill in a little envelope beautifully labeled "The Damage".
see www.atlanticbarandgrill.com
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 03:04 PM
ira

Dear Patrick,

Because Nat, asked for "we don't want far out..." I didn't suggest Rules.

Your, suggestion is quite appropriate, however.
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 04:47 PM

"Far out"? I don't get it.
Roast beef, roast potatoes, and sticky toffee pudding is far out?
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys( I think your guys)
Those are all good choices.
What about a restaurant that has a well
known reputation. We like the idea of trendy and also traditional.
Fish, Italian, good steaks
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 06:48 PM

Trendy and traditional? Well known reputation? What about The Ivy? If it isn't too late to get a reservation -- but probably is unless you aren't picky about time. Their sister restaurant Le Caprice is another thought, or J. Sheekey for great fish -- a really "comfortable" place.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Tell me more about this place.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

Patrick,

I mean tell me more about these places
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 04:38 AM

You might like to look at this website -
www.rhodes24.co.uk
I've not been but I hear good things.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 05:02 AM

For more information on The Ivy, J. Sheekey, and Le Caprice look at the following website, and click on the individual names at the top. I'll be honest. I was rather disappointed in The Ivy, but it remains probably the most popular restaurant in London with people fighting to get a reservation all the time. We had a wonderful meal at J. Sheekey's, although admittedly it seems overpriced to me for what it is. I've suggested these three because of your comment looking for "well known reputation" and these certainly epitomize that!

www.caprice-holdings.co.uk

The more I've thought about your epitome of a final English meal -- I still vote for Rules. "Rules rules!"

Morgana's suggestion is good. I haven't been either, but keep wanting to -- great reputation. But I also think you'll have a hard time there keeping within budget. Average price on starters alone is pretty well over $20.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 05:08 AM

Given the state of the exchange rate, you may need to up your price to eat at trendy/famous/fabulous places.

J Sheekey is famous AND trendy for fish, if a little stuffy looking, but Kate Moss, Madonna and Judy Law aren't put off by this. £50-£75 a head should cover it.

Gordon Ramsey has Michelin stars coming out of his ears - he has restaurants at the Connaught, Claridges and his own in Chelsea, but expect to pay £100 a head.

Tops for italian at the moment are Locanda Locatelli, Zafferano, and Assaggi (which is more low key than the other 2 but great, adventurous modern Italian food).

I agree that 24 (Gary Rhodes) is getting great press - haven't yet been myself.

I personally think le Caprice is well overdue for a refurb - seems stuck in the 80s to me, as does the food a bit.

I've always been a fan of Mirabelle for 2 Mich-starred elegance.

The Ivy is great for star spotting, and much more reasonable than most. For this reason, it's nigh on impossible to get a table. Always worth calling on the day to get on the cancellations list. c£50 a head.

The Wolsely is a relative newcomer and popular with the glitterati. Won't be cheap.

I strongly recommend getting a copy of Hardens Guide to London restaurants - this lists all restaurants worth going to, with honest and reliable reviews. At the front it has great top 10 lists - favourite London Restaurant, top gastronic experience etc etc (as voted by the discerning readership), plus best choice for regional specialities.

It gives a price per head for each place to give you an idea how much you'll have to spend.

You can eat fabulously well here in London, but it'll cost you. You can also get great food and atmosphere for less, but at more cosy rather than "something fabulous" places.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 07:02 AM

We had a wonderful meal at Quaglino's, which is one of Conran's places. It has a large, bistro-y feel to it.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

You certainly have given me alot to think about. We don't want to spend
$150 american dollars for dinner but we do expect to pay a good price where ever
we go. What do you call traditional fare other than roast beef and Yorkshire pudding? Whatis Ivy's menu
like?
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 01:51 PM

Did Indigo Jones ever re-open?
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 02:08 PM

You can see the full menu for the Ivy at the website I gave above.

By the way, another place that I love and is in your price range is Langan's Brasserie, close to the Ritz Hotel. I guess it's still part owned by Michael Caine. I love this place, casually elegant, tons of art on the walls, big menu, always busy but good service.
for menu and pictures see:
www.langansrestaurants.co.uk
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 04:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I loved Langan's. Michael Caine is an owner. Loved Caprice, Rules, Gavaroche, Trois Assiettes, Chez Nino's, all awhile ago. hope they are still good
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 05:20 PM

We had a great dinner at a place called Momo...It is moroccan food...Fun atmosphere with belly dancers etc.
Great food also.