Dining in London with Mom

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 09:19 AM
KMB

Dining in London with Mom

My mother and I are visiting London for four nights in November. I would like to take her to an elegant, traditional restaurant with exceptional food. I do not want to feel out of place at a restaurant meant more for couples. Thinking about The Connaught, The Criterion or The Conservatory at the Lanesborough Hotel. Too stuffy? Any suggestions or recommendations for a daughter in her 30's and her 60 year old mom? Not looking for a contemporary setting.
Also, tea at the Ritz or Claridge's. (I've already done the Ritz)

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 10:20 AM

ttt

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 11:22 AM
Kelley

Do the tea at The Savoy!!!!! I took my mom there in June. I go to London every summer, and it was her first trip. Very cozy, elegant, etc. I like it better than The Ritz!! For Restaurants, try Le Boudin Blanc. A french restaurant in Shepard's market. Very nice, great food. A nice change from the heavy traditional fare. For some British food, you have GOT to go to Rules. IT is an experience. The food is good, it is a NICE restaurant, and it feels like you have stepped back in time. It is the oldest restaurant in London. It is Traditional British food. Good luck!

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 11:51 AM
Kate

Book lunch at Gordon Ramsay at Claridges NOW! You may just get a table. Other nice places - Browns Hotel is the place for tea, Harvey Nichols 5th floor restaurant - not cafe, on same floor - when you're shopping. I'm afraid I don't know much about the elegant traditional restaurants, but everyone loves The Ivy, and their sister restaurant J Sheekey's, pretty much in the heart of theatreland, has lovely seafood and the service is wonderful.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 12:05 PM
Julie

I was just in London in May with my mother (she's in her 60's) and she adored Rules. All of the above mentioned suggestions are great but Rules sounds exactly what you're looking for - it's very traditional (not contemporary) and unique. Plus it's located in the heart of Covent Garden. They have a website, if you want to take a look - can't remember the exact address but if you do a search on Google for Rules Restaurant it'll pop up.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 01:08 PM
Red

I would suggest Rules also. There were a lot of seniors around when we dined there.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 01:16 PM
Senior

As a 62 yr old I don't think I need to have restaurants chosen for me on the basis of my age. I love the Ivy, Quaglino's, The River, and some great Indian restaurants in London, to name a couple. Seniors, indeed!

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 01:19 PM
Iagree

Yayyyy Senior!!! I too don't feel as though I need to go to any different restaurants now that I'm over 60 than I did when I was under 60.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 01:54 PM
KMB

I'm not looking for a restaurant geared to a particular age group. We just want a place that is elegant and has some tradition. I would really like a restaurant with beautiful decor and ambiance, not to mention great food. Thanks for the wonderful suggestions so far. I've found the Rules website...looks beautiful. How is the dining if we were to go before the theater?

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 03:38 PM
topping

ttt

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 05:47 PM
Wendy

The Rules or Simpson's on the Strand for wonderful roastbeef and yorkshire pudding in a tradtionally English atmosphere- gorgeous living room with high ceilings and moldings, attentive service. Have a great time!

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 01:08 AM
marge

We've enjoyed the food at The Greenhouse in Mayfair (27a Hays Mews).
The dining room is pretty, too, and it has a garden.

The only problem is that it's a little hard to find -- we needed to consult the A-to-Z several times on our way from Green Park station.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 02:21 AM
amy

Definitely recommend Rules or The Ivy.
Also, Foliage at the Mandarin Oriental hotel is supposed to be phenomenal. Criterion has been inconsistent lately and Gordon Ramsay's, while a trendy spot, is a bit over-rated.

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 10:05 AM
penny

The Laneborough Conservatory is wonderful. Love the setting, English furniture, Oriental lamps and motif, and the lovely sound of a fountain, piano player too! Oriental carpets are hot pink and green! Wonderful food-loved the Dover Sole and lettuce wrapped crab rolls! Not stuffy at all! Think about it!