London rain- how much??

Old Apr 25th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London rain- how much??

Heading to London mid-May. Will have umbrellas and raincoats. Question- our only rain boots are more the winter variety- heavy waterproof boots- but are those overkill for this time of year? I assume it will rain at some point, but is it drenching rain? If not boots we'd be wearing our travel walking shoes- and I don't know if that's protection enough. Thanks!
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 08:06 PM

What's "heavy"? If it's like this:

http://shop.timberland.com/product/i...ductId=4064159

then that could work, if it's waterproof. The odds that you'll need it are 50/50. But you don't want to be caught with just open shoes or some Tom's not made for bad weather.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 08:15 PM

In all the trips I've made to London, I've never worried about footwear. Just wear something that's comfortable and dries fairly easily and, in spite of what many suggest, it really doesn't have to be waterproof. Ask any Londoner how often they wear waterproof shoes. Shoes get wet;they dry.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 09:07 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You don't need boots (of any sort) -- and you really don't need a rain coat. A light poncho or windbreaker or rain jacket w/ a hood is usually more than enough. A small, light-weight folding umbrella is a good idea if you don't like 'hood hair'.

How much will it rain? -- a little, a lot, or none at all. No way of telling until you get there. Yes -- the weather is that changeable . . .
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 09:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I lived there for 4 years and never owned a raincoat or rain boots. No Wellies for me. Reminded me of those awful pull over the shoe rubber contraptions of the 50's that were like foot condoms.

Rain is generally quick, light and fairly wimpy. Generally. Sometimes by the time you put up the umbrella, the rain has already ceased.

I'd say the only thing you wouldn't want to wear are shoes that have non waterproof/resistant soles. Like dancing shoes that are simply not make for the street. Rubber soles are good. Good for Abby Road.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 09:49 PM

London has less rain than Tel Aviv, however it tends to be light and unpredictable so there's more occasions when it does rain.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 09:54 PM

Put it this way: it's rained for about ten minutes in the last month. This might mean we are in for a drenching throughout May and June; or it might mean that this last very cold winter is a prelude to a long hot dry summer like 1976. Or it might not.

Because of where we are the weather is unpredictable, with always the chance of showers or even some continuing rain passing over, rarely the prospect of a monsoon that sits on top of us.

As a result, almost any convenience store or street trader will have a supply of cheap umbrellas and lightweight rainwear. No special footwear needed - just a spare pair if you should need to let the wet ones dry out. And if you're staying in London, there's not exactly a shortage of places to duck out of a shower and wait while it passes.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 11:38 PM

You don't need boots. Most folks wear ordinary shoes including high heels and sandals. I have no idea if any of my shoes/boots have rubber soles..... No predicting what the weather will do.
No rain jacket needed...I'd just have an ordinary jacket and carry a brollie or buy one if necessary.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 12:14 AM

Last trip it rained every day. I had taken some Anne Klein flats. They don't have leather soles, it's some kind of rubber or composite. Sufficient support for walking and very good when streets were slick.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 01:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
London is very dry, the weather forecasts are very reliable, but, in the same way that Brits have more soft top cars than anyone else, we just are always surprised by rain
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 01:40 AM

No boots. I think the weather fairies must smile down on me when we travel. Only ever been caught in a heavy rain once in London in over 50 or more trps there. The rain is mostly a light drizzle, sometimes I don't even bother opening an umbrella. But as has been said , the weather is changeable but a small umbrella or a hooded rain jacket is sufficent or a rain hat in your pocket
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 06:04 AM

Right now it's baking over here, we are getting drought warnings for the summer.

But that could all change.

Even if it were a wet and miserable week, I still wouldn't bother with boots or heavy duty shoes for town. Pavements just don't get that wet - it rains, the water goes off into the gutter, you don't get really wet feet, no. Of course the uppers make a difference. Canvas shoes are going to get soggy if it really rains. Personally, I don't care.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

ok, thanks everyone! I'll try to remember to check back in and report how it went!
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 09:33 AM

Do not bring boots. Just be sure your shoes are waterproofed - and you have 2 pair of good walking shoes - so you can wear one while the other dries out. You may never see more than a mist - but could also get a downpour (just head indoors until it stops).