London plans, please comment/fill in the blanks

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Husband and I visited London in 2011. Going back in September with a lifelong friend. We have rented an Ivy Letting flat equidistance between Gloucester Road and South Kensington stations. I wanted to hit the highlights that our friend has not seen (her first London visit), and do some new things for us. Her requests were to see Stonehenge and do a Beatles London Walk tour.

Arriving Tuesday (from Boston to LHR) : quiet day, see the neighborhood, buy some groceries. Dinner at Hereford Arms Pub. (this, and a lot of recommendations here are from MaiTai Tom's latest trip).

Wednesday: London Eye, walk along the Thames. 2pm London Walks Beatles from Tottingham Court station.

Thursday: Tower of London, walk the Tower Bridge. Southwark Cathedral brief stop? Borough Market to include a Cheese Sandwich.

Friday: Victoria and Albert museum. Either a London Walks overview tour, or maybe a Context small group tour. (too early to see when it is offered); Kensington Palace to see the Diana gowns. Tea at the Orangery.

Saturday: Westminster Abbey Verger Tour (10,10:30, 11). Piano Bar Kensington in the evening. Something else?

Sunday: Sunday dinner at Dean Street Townhouse, about noon. Nothing else planned yet. Maybe SMITF evensong at 5. Suggestoins?

Monday: Day trip to Windsor/ Eaton

Tuesday: London Walks Salisbury and Stonehenge. 8:45-6:30. About a year ago, I got Ceremony of the Keys tickets.9:30. Will be a long day, but not much flexibility here. Somewhere for dinner and a rest in the area?

Wednesday: Sleep in. Breakfast at the Wolseley Hotel, served till 11:30. Unsure next, possible Harrods? St. Pauls? Covent Garden? Want to see a West End show this evening. Dinner suggestions?

Thursday: The Royal Day. Combined tickets for Queens Gallery, the Royal Mews, and tour of the State Rooms. Begin noon, finish about 4:30-5. Dinner at Bag O' Nails Pub.

Friday: depart for Boston 11:15

Keep in mind that we are all 70+, no real mobility issues, but need to build in rest stops and down time.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 11:57 AM

I really enjoy going to the theater and there is lots of choices.

I think Covent Garden is fun, my friend and I spent a good part of a day there, but you can come and go as you please of course. Harrods honestly just isn't so great but.........it is so famous so go if you want. You may feel differently.
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 12:21 PM

Be sure to get 2 for 1 entries at most paying sites:

https://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/2for1-london

https://www.londontoolkit.com/whatto...iscussion.html
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 12:43 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Mostly looks good. Just random comments:

I'd move the Eye and southbank to your Tower/Southwark day on Thursday. Id start at the Tower then cross to Borough Market for a late-ish lunch, the Cathedral, then mosey long the soutbank and finish at the Eye.

>>Tottingham Court station.<<

Tottenham Court Road station (just in case you use the TFL website you need to spell it correctly). Since the walk started from Tottenham Court Rd, you could do the British Museum and/or British Library that morning. OR walk around Covent garden and then to TCR.

>>About a year ago, I got Ceremony of the Keys tickets.9:30. <<

Lucky you - since they went 'modern' it is next to impossible to get tickets. Do you plan on heading back to the flat to freshen up before heading to the Keys Ceremony? I know I'd want to after a long day trip. If so, I'd probably eat in the flat, have some wine and relax. Or eat nearby.

>>Want to see a West End show this evening. Dinner suggestions?<<

Without knowing which show/theatre no way to recommend a place since theatres are all over he city.

>> Breakfast at the Wolseley Hotel<<. I'd probably have my Wolseley breakfast on Thursday since it is just across Green Park from the Palace (The Wolseley is a cafe/restaurant - no hotel attached.). That would totally free up Wed for something different - Greenwich, or anything really. Maybe do Windsor/Eton then???
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 03:18 PM

Definitely try to find some time--3-4 hours at least--for the British Museum. The British Library is fabulous, too, and needs about an hour for the Treasures Room.

I used London Walks for a day trip to Bath--was wonderful (as have been the London walks I've done with them). I led my group on our own to Salisbury/Stonehenge; I'm sure LW will do a good job with that day trip, too, so nice that it works out for when you are there.

After Westminster Abbey, you could go up Whitehall to Trafalgar Square and the National Gallery. Or stop first at the Churchill War Rooms--get your timed ticket ahead of time, though, to save time in line.

Also, I don't like to schedule days out/train trips back to back if can avoid. So might consider that when planning Salisbury and Windsor.

So fun! DH and I leave 6 WEEKS FROM TODAY! (for 5 days in London, then 2 more weeks in Cornwall and Wales---weeeee!)
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 05:32 AM

Hi Cheryl, I am so excited for you!! I was in London in March for 12 days and I am already plotting how to get back there. You have made some good plans already. I too read MaiTaiTom's report. Good advice there.

We looked at Ivy Lettings Apartments. (although chose a different company). I think you have a good location. We were close to where you are. Be sure to have Oyster cards if you are taking the tube and have them ready at the tube stops so you don't hold up the lines. That's some of the best advice I can give you. Also you will be amazed how easy it is to get extra money applied to them at any of the tube stops. Keep to the right single file on the escalators and you are good to go.

I loved Stonehenge. Your friend will be impressed. Years ago I did the Beatles London Walk, and took the iconic Abbey Road picture. You need to be fast with this, traffic does not stop. lol.

We also did the Windsor trip, we went early in the morning and returned to London around 2:30 PM. I think it's up to you whether you spend an entire day there, but we felt fine with what we saw. You get headphones for an audible tour, but there is also a docent tour of the outside grounds of Windsor Castle that was worth waiting a few minutes for enough people to gather. We did Windsor by ourselves, went to Paddington Station to get train tickets, the people in the ticket offices are used to directing tourists to the correct trains.

Harrods is worth a look, especially the food courts. It should not take you a lot of time (unless you are really into shopping). I don't recommend the fish and chips at the seafood counter (expensive and tasteless to me).

I mentioned this on Starrs thread but we ate at Rules, known as London's oldest restaurant. It is close to the theaters in the West End (Covent Garden area) so would be ideal for a pre-theatre dinner. It was our splurge meal, but worth every cent. It might be a consideration for you.

London will be so pretty for you. It was still a bit iffy on the weather in March and the flowers were just starting to bloom. When you go to Kensington Palace, walk through Hyde Park at least a bit. It's just so magnificent. Have fun. The most important part of London I think are the people, so nice and polite. Report back.
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 07:57 AM

Comments interposed. Look into the 2for1 offers to cut some costs.

Wednesday: London Eye, walk along the Thames. 2pm London Walks Beatles from Tottingham Court station. Are you planning to ride the world's slowest Ferris wheel or just walk by? Riding it on a grey/rainy day would be very low return of utility on the high price.

Thursday: Tower of London, walk the Tower Bridge. Southwark Cathedral brief stop? Borough Market to include a Cheese Sandwich.

Friday: Victoria and Albert museum. Either a London Walks overview tour, or maybe a Context small group tour. (too early to see when it is offered); Kensington Palace to see the Diana gowns. Tea at the Orangery.

Saturday: Westminster Abbey Verger Tour (10,10:30, 11). Piano Bar Kensington in the evening. Something else? You can fit more here - especially a slow walk up Parliament Street to Trafalgar and possibly one or more National Gallery/National Portrait Gallery.

Sunday: Sunday dinner at Dean Street Townhouse, about noon. Nothing else planned yet. Maybe SMITF evensong at 5. Suggestoins? Hyde Park Corner to see the loonies. Or the Trafalgar Sq hint from above bc it's thisclose to St Martin's.

Monday: Day trip to Windsor/ Eaton Eton. See if you can get entry vouchers for Windsor Castle at Waterloo or Paddington (wherever you're taking the train from) with your train tickets. The wait can be long otherwise.

Tuesday: London Walks Salisbury and Stonehenge. 8:45-6:30. About a year ago, I got Ceremony of the Keys tickets.9:30. Will be a long day, but not much flexibility here. Somewhere for dinner and a rest in the area?

Wednesday: Sleep in. Breakfast at the Wolseley Hotel, served till 11:30. Unsure next, possible Harrods? St. Pauls? Covent Garden? Want to see a West End show this evening. Dinner suggestions? Why go to Harrod's when you're going to be thisclose to Fortnum & Mason? You can putter about Jermyn Street and wander through Piccadilly Circus to Leicester Square and Covent Garden.

Thursday: The Royal Day. Combined tickets for Queens Gallery, the Royal Mews, and tour of the State Rooms. Begin noon, finish about 4:30-5. Dinner at Bag O' Nails Pub.

Friday: depart for Boston 11:15
Old May 18th, 2018, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Revision:

Tuesday: Arrive 9:15, should be able to check into flat early. Shower, nap, walk around, buy groceries. Dinner at Hereford Arms Pub.

Wednesday: Covent Gardens. Recommendations for lunch? 2:15 London Walks Beatles. Afraid to schedule much more due to possible jet lag. Nice quiet place for dinner near the flat?

Thursday: Here is the big change. I reserved a Viatour trip to Stonehenge and Bath. I know, way too much for one day. But we supposedly have pre opening access in Stonehenge. Pickup at 5:30 : (, but near our flat.

Friday: London Walks V&A 10:45. Kensington Palace tour. Tea at the Orangery, anytime before 6.

Saturday: Westminster Abbey tour, 10, 10:30 or 11. Walk to Trafalger Square. National Gallery. (tour at 2:30 if timing right). Evening at Piano Kensington (piano bar).

Sunday: Lunch at Dean Street Townhouse. Need suggestions for this afternoon. Evensong at SMITF (unfortunately, no candlelight concerts while we are here)

Monday: Self tour to Windsor and Eaton

Tuesday: Tower of London. Borough Market. Maybe a quick peek at Southwark Cathedral. Walk the South Bank, maybe ride on the London Eye. Back to the Tower at 9:30 for Ceremony of the Keys. Too much? If we don't go back to the flat, any suggestions for dinner?

Wednesday: No plans yet. Thinking of a trip to Greenwich. If so, what would you suggest. Other suggestions? Evening Phantom of the Opera at Her Majesty's Theatre. Pre theater dinner??

Thursday: The Royal Day. Breakfast at the Wolseley. Royal Day with stops at the Mews, Queens Gallery and tour of the Palace. 12, 1:30 and 2:30, finished by 4:30. Dinner at Bag o'Nails pub.

Friday: leave for Boston 10 something.
Old May 22nd, 2018, 09:26 PM

Consider a visit to Hampton Court Palace for Wednesday or in place of Windsor. It is easy to reach, of historical importance and has lovely grounds.
Old May 22nd, 2018, 10:21 PM

On Tuesdays there's a limited market at Borough Market; Thursday is a better day for it.
When on the South Bank, pop into Tate Modern and have a coffee or tea at the top floor restaurant; great views.

If you're at Kensington Palace and have time; walk through Kensington Palace Gardens towards Notting Hill.
It's the most expensive street to live in London.

I would add the British Museum to your itinerary. Perhaps for Sunday afternoon.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 01:17 AM

Wednesday Covent Garden - lunch at Lamb and Flag pub - pleasant , historic pub.
Add that Borough market is vey limited on Tuesday as Tulips said .
Sunday - could go to National Portrait Gallery after Dean Street or explore Carnaby Street walking through Soho to get there.
Id prefer Hampton Court to Windsor - more restful , lovely gardens .
Old May 24th, 2018, 07:28 AM

Dinner near Phantom of the Opera; Milos is great. Fabulous seafood. Lunch was 20 pounds for 2 courses; maybe they have a pre-theatre offer as well.
There are lots of options nearby in all price ranges. Aquavit is Scandinavian. Opposite the theatre is Brumus, to which we have not been. There's also a branch of Comptoir Libanais very close by.
Old May 25th, 2018, 12:46 PM

You can buy tickets to Windsor Castle online before you go. I printed them out at my hotel the night before I went. The line was HUGE when I got there and I just walked right by everyone and went right in (and it was a good thing too as it was pouring rain!). You can buy tickets to Westminster Abbey and Churchill War Rooms online too (we loved the Churchill War Rooms). Have a great trip!
Old May 25th, 2018, 01:39 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
The day you call Royal Day, includes a lot. We bought tickets from www.royalcollection.org.uk for the State Rooms with the Gardens which we enjoyed. It was our fifth trip to London but our first time inside Buckingham Palace and we are so glad we did this visit. Do not miss St. Paul's Cathedral.
My favorite site in London is still Westminster Abbey.