Search

London Pass

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Pass

we are wondering if the London Pass is a good deal.we have 4 days of touring and want to see many of the sights but can not figure all the cost of admittance to to the sights and cost of transportation. Can it be bought when we get to London. we are leaving home in 9 days.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 07:51 AM

No, you have to buy it through the website while your at home, but you can tell them you will collect it at London, there's an option in the web.
I am with more or less the same doubt.
I think it is not a big deal for me, but I'm still thinking on it because of the "avoiding the queue" issue
Maybe it is worth for you as you are going to be there 4 days, I only will be there two full days.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 09:20 AM

US prices thru RailEurope:
$85 3 straight days (child 5-15 $56) 6 consecutive days $120 - compare these with UK prices to see which is best deal. Covers over 60 museums and attraftions but doesn't include tube transit. Doesn't take much to rack up $85 in London these days -
the London Pass covers:
Free Catamaran Cruise Thames (9L -pounds)
free London bicycle tour - 15Lbs
Globe Theatre Exhibition 8.50 lbs
London Aquarium 8.75 lbs
Windsor Castle 12 lbs
hampton court 11.80 lbs
kensington palace 10.80 lbs
Tower of London 13 lbs
london zoo 13 lbs
london transport museum 6 lbs
kew gardens 8.50 lbs
sherlock holmes museum 6 lbs
wimbledon lawn tennis museum 6 lbs
wimbledon Tour Experience up to 13 lbs
cutty sark 4.25 lbs
st paul's 7 lbs
plus no waiting in ticket lines
a GREAT deal
In US details, passes from RailEurope or their agents (800-441-2387) or check out London prices online as mentioned in other posts - in any way a great deal for what it includes. Plus discounts at restaurants, shops - free Teddy Bear at Hamley's with purchases of over 25 lbs!
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 10:16 AM

Appears to be cheaper to buy it in US thru RailEurope:
London Prices for 3 day passes:
1 adult $97 (converted by site in what you'd be charged)vs $85 RailEurope
2 adults $194 (vs $170 raileurope)
2 adults + 2 kids = $321 in London vs $282 thru RailEurope.
Actually prices are the same for the base but buying in London you pay 17.5% VAT - not charged in RailEurope's prices plus a small insurance fee.
So looks like RailEurope would save anyone in States money plus you won't have to go fetch it from BTA in London!
RailEurope or agents; railEurope charges a $15 mailing fee but their agents like BETS, whom i've used for years, don't: 800-441-2387. Plus you get the 132-page guide regardless of where you buy it.
If there are other London prices i missed please correct me! Fodorites often seem sure that prices in Europe are always cheaper - but i say always compare prices.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 10:29 AM

I think if you add up the price of sights you can reasonably hope to get to on a per-day basis, the London Pass is rarely competitive. Attractions like the Tower and Windsor consume a half-day each, and to do justice to something like the Transport Museum takes several hours.

In your careful planning, consider that many venues don't open until 9 o'clock or later, and others close at 4 or 5. You should also factor in the time it takes to get from one to another.

One tip: take the last circle cruise in the evening, after everything else is closed.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 10:46 AM

robespierre has good point - it depends on how much you want to see - first-time travelers may well benefit as per scenario below but if you've seen the major things already then no.
3 days
1st day Tower of London ($20)
Globe theatre just across river ($15)
St Paul's cathedral ($12)
night boat cruise ($15)
2nd day
Windsor castle ($20)
Kensington Palace ($18)
And i already an at $100 and have a third day left over so i could spread these sights over 3 days - very easily to do and first-timers want to do all these things.
Then i may go to something i wouldn't normally - Royal Mews at Buckingham P - $9 - see the Queen's horses or some special interest sight - sherlock holmes museum ($10) or Transport Museum ($10) - i think it's easy to realize the value, but it's not always good for everyone of course and you should decide what you really want to see and then decide what's best for you. If doing the pass save significantly by buying in US apparently.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 12:37 PM

You can buy the London pass in the British tourism office near piccadilly circus. I did not make my money back on my 3 day london pass. It doesn't include westminster or the London Eye.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 06:51 PM

The Smart Card that comes with the pass is a plus - just swipe it to get into the sights, no waiting in often lengthy ticket lines like at Windsor Castle or The Tower.