London- attractions

Search

London- attractions

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2006, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London- attractions

Is there any discount way to buy attraction tickets in London?
also can they be purchased ahead of time?
Thanks
Melissa
Old May 19th, 2006, 07:28 AM
jgg

Go to this website for 2 for 1 tickets. http://www.2for1entry.co.uk/. They are available for many of the sites I expect you will see.

You might also want to look into the British Heritage Pass.http://www.britishtravel.com/greatbritpass.htm. As I recall from your other posts you will be travellling a bit throughout England so it maybe worth it to you.
Old May 19th, 2006, 07:37 AM

Great British Heritage Pass not worth much in London anymore since the Queen withdrew her properties - the Tower of London, Windsor Castle and Kensington Palace from the scheme.
But outside of London it's easy to realize the benefit of this pass as nearly everything is covered in terms of castles, stately homes, historical sights, etc. Last time i compared prices the pass was actually a tad cheaper in the US from RailEurope than in London and you get the actual pass rather than having to retrieve it during bankers hours in London. To check London prices with US, call BETS (800-441-2387), a RailEurope agent i have used for years and they won't charge RE's $15 mailing fee, which would negate the savings over buying in London. Note: i haven't compared prices since last fall so not sure what the relation currently is - i think the pass was cheaper in the US because VAT tax of about 18% wasn't charged to foreign purchases. With the pass you also get preferential entry into crowded sights.
Old May 19th, 2006, 12:58 PM

The major museums are free. Tickets for the Tower of London and some others can be bought at tube stations in advance, but no discount as far as I know.
Old May 19th, 2006, 04:58 PM

Historic Royal Palaces, the group that operates Kensington Palace, the Tower of London, Hampton Court, Kew Palace, Banqueting House (any others?) has a new annual pass that allows unlimited entry into HRP properties for a year. If you are visiting more than two, even if you only will go once, it might be worthwhile (especially for families). Info:

http://www.hrp.org.uk/join.htm

Dave<BR>KidsToLondon.com
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Historic Royal Palaces Pass -does it allow you to bypass the lines?

Melissa
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Is there any way to buy Buckingham Palace tickets in advance?

Melissa
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 11:17 AM

Buckingham Palace is only open to tourists several weeks a year, in August and part of Sep when the Queen is at her Scottish estates.
The palace, though paid for by British taxpayers, was never open to the rabble until about a decade or so ago when after her "horribus annus" (not the right quote, but her horrible year due to a fire at Windsor Castle i believe) the palace was opened during her Scottish hiatus to raise funds to repair the extensive fire damage at Windsor.
Anyway, it was a huge hit the first few years and tickets were hard to get but now it's not and you can usually drop by and not have to wait to long to get in. (I've walked by there several times in Augusts recent and asked and they said it was no problem usually.) But yes you can reserve online and then just have to show up at your slot.
Expect intense security at entrance - news article said that guards confiscate from American tourists a surprising number of Mace cans - Mace of course illegal in UK.
And i'd say that the palace and the priceless art and trappings inside it is well worth the effort.
I'd also include the Royal Stables in your visit (separate entrance, separate ticket - about 5 quid) as this working stable, stench and all, with its royal carriages, etc. is also fascinating.