London--off the beaten path??

Old Apr 1st, 2000, 10:18 PM
Jen

London--off the beaten path??

4 students spending 11 days (june) in London and the surrounding area. We're looking for a unique experience. Tell us something we can't get from a book.

Old Apr 2nd, 2000, 09:53 AM
Ben Haines

Fodors <BR> <BR>I have on disc a note on such places mostly in south London, and here it is. Please write if I can help further. Welcome to London. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines <BR> <BR>OFF THE BEATEN TRACK IN LONDON <BR> <BR>Music. Fusion in Brixton. Recitals of classical music at lunchtime in such City churches as St Anne and St Agnes and in St James Piccadilly. Jazz for Sunday lunchtime in north London pubs All these are in the listings magazine "Time Out", which you can buy at a kiosk in your arrival airport and read on the boring train to the West End. <BR> <BR>Theatre. The Fringe. Especially the Almeida, the Hampstead, and the Tricycle, but it's well worth looking at notes on all the Fringe. When you book over the phone by credit card you can ask about nearby meals: fringe theatres are next to good pubs or have good meals of their own. A trial at the Old Bailey. <BR> <BR>Parks. Richmond Park, combined with a fringe theatre show and a walk among the shops. Dulwich Park, combined with a visit to the Art Gallery and lunch in the Village. Highgate Cemetery <BR> <BR>Pubs. I have on disc a note of pubs where I like the weekday lunches: again, shall I copy it ? <BR> <BR>"Off-the-beaten-track". <BR>The Thames Barrage <BR>The Tudor Barn at Eltham, and if it's open Eltham Palace. By train from London Bridge <BR>The Ranger's House at the top of Greenwich Park. By train to Blackheath from Victora or Charing Cross <BR>Croydon for the old parish church, the market, the Clocktower art gallery, a pub supper, and a concert at Fairfield Halls. By train from London Bridge or Victoria <BR>Brixton market <BR>Deptford, for St Paul's church, St Nicholas' Church, and the oldest commuter railway in the world. Then bus ten minutes to Rotherhithe for the Mayflower pub for lunch and the Church of St Mary, from which the Pilgrim Fathers embarked for Holland and the New World. <BR>Borough Market, by London Bridge station, for lunch at the Market Porter pub, Neal's cheese shop, the Cook and Konditorei pastry shop, the real pork pie stall, Southwark Cathedral (older and better than St Paul's), and the replica of the Golden Hind. <BR> <BR>There's a useful web site: http://www.city.ac.uk/martin/ukfaq.html, then follow the link to suggestions for things to look at in London beyond the standard tourist itinerary. <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 2nd, 2000, 02:09 PM
Mavis

Another reader suggested it to me - and my mom and I are going to check it out in a month - but why not think of seeing an actual trial in process at the Old Bailey, complete with wigged judges. If you're interested I can send info. on times, etc.

Old Apr 2nd, 2000, 04:22 PM
RosemaryM

Dear Jen, <BR>Last time I was in London, (some years ago) on a lovely day in early June, my husband and I discovered what we felt must be one of the best kept secrets in London. We took the tube to Warwick Avenue and walked a few minutes to Little Venice on the Regents Canal. There were many brightly painted narrow (house)boats moored on the canal but we took a little converted narrowboat of the London Waterbus service from Little Venice, via London Zoo, through Regents Park to Camden Lock. We were the only people on the boat. It was so peaceful, perhaps too peaceful for students but it is a good rest after high speed touring. And Camden Lock has fantastic street markets which you should enjoy.You can return to Central London by tube from Camden Town (or return by boat).Have fun, whatever you decide. <BR>

Old Apr 4th, 2000, 07:24 AM
david west

when i first moved to london, one of the things i enjoyed was taking guided walks around londons pubs and more hidden sites. you'll find a listing of these in "time out" ( alistings magazine giving all sorts of options)

Old Apr 4th, 2000, 08:05 AM
cheryl

A choral service like sunday matins or an evensong service at St. Pauls or Westminster Abbey. It's an incredible experience to hear a choir in these buildings, a much different experience than just sightseeing there.

Old Apr 4th, 2000, 09:19 AM
Larry Lain

Well, actually it *is* in one of my books, but this is a good place to post it anyway -- If you're students, you've probably taken a philosophy class or two. Why not meet Jeremy Bentham (developer of Utilitarianism) face-to-face? <BR> <BR>You'll find his preserved body in a glass case at University College (Gower Street/ Euston Square Tube). Enter the door at the southeast corner of the quadrangle. <BR> <BR>It's certainly a unique experience. <BR> <BR>Larry Lain <BR>

Old Apr 4th, 2000, 09:33 AM
s.fowler

On our recent trip to London I was privileged to have a local guide [a friend of my husband's from a listserv!] take me on a journey from Westminister Bridge to the Woolwich ferry. The aim was to visit some of the new Jubilee Line stations, but in the process we ended up seeing the development along the south side, quaffing a pint of bitter in Greenwich ... seeing the Thames Barrier and ending up in a pub at Highbury/Islington just as the Arsenal fans streamed in... I just out myself in our friend's hands ... so it would be hard for be to detail the route.. Bute pictures start at: http://www.geocities.com/shrimp56/england/thames.htm <BR> <BR>It was a very special and interesting opportunity!

Old Apr 4th, 2000, 09:47 AM
s.fowler

I second Maida Vale/"Little Venice" after staying in that neighborhood last month. I'll be happy to make some restaurant recommendations in the area if people are interested.

Old Aug 19th, 2003, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any recommendations for restaurants in Little Venice would be appreciated.

Thank you
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm afraid I can't answer your question, so I'll ask you a question:

Do you plan to take a Regent's Canal cruise to arrive at Little Venice?