Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London in late November - weather still nice for outdoor activities?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2011, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two of us are planning a trip to London (our first!) the last week of November. We have just 4-5 days, so are planning to spend all of our time in the London area (the British Museum will probably take two days all by itself!) We probably only have time enough to see some of the "big" sights (Westminster Abbey, Tower of London) and take a side trip to Stonehenge. I'd also really love to drive along the coast from Dover to Southampton, but I don't want to cram too much into what will hopefully be a fun getaway.

SO -- (1) what is the weather NORMALLY like in late November/early December? Will it be too cold for outdoor sightseeing, or will it be fine with a jacket? (2) Is it easy to get around without a car? We don't mind a lot of walking. (3) Is it easy to take the subway/tube from the airport to hotels in downtown London? We pack light! After doing some searching here, I'll be checking out the County Hall Marriott, The Trafalgar London Hilton (Trafalgar Square) and the Waldorf Hilton (West End), hoping that these will be central to most things we want to see. (4) What's the best way to get out to Stonehenge? If we rent a car for one day, I'm thinking we might be able to drive out to Stonehenge, then maybe the southern coastline.

I know I've packed a lot in the last paragraph, so I tried to break it down into my main four questions (although I'm sure I'll have more!) Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 07:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1) There is statistics on snow in the south of england. It's possible and no way we can forecast it.
2) Probably it will be cold and damp (don't believe you have been cold until you have been in a wet wind), so a jacket will be good but layers better and boots that can keep the damp/rain out.
3) The city will be warmer than the country and you can dive into shops etc
4) Tube to london centre oh yes, but note you will be jet lagged and if arriving on a red eye you will arrive 6 or 7 am and not be able to check in until 12 noon, (probably)
5) Stonehenge you can take a car or take a train (not the tube) which are pretty good and rent a local car, or use the local bus. These latter ideas avoid you having to have a car and honestly you don't need one in central london.

No idea why you would want to drive Dover to Southampton, Apart from the odd "down" and "cliff" there are some towns, 'burbs etc
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 07:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
(1) what is the weather NORMALLY like in late November/early December? Will it be too cold for outdoor sightseeing, or will it be fine with a jacket?>>

could be great, or rubbish. No idea. The only certain thing it's not likely to be a heatwave. layers, as ever, are the thing, and a rainproof coat that you can pout a jumper under if it's turned cold. also waterproof footwear would be good.

(2) Is it easy to get around without a car? We don't mind a lot of walking>>

well, it's much easier to get around without one than with one. you do NOT want a car in central London. buses and tube [not subway, that's in NYC] are the way to go.

3) Is it easy to take the subway/tube from the airport to hotels in downtown London? We pack light! After doing some searching here, I'll be checking out the County Hall Marriott, The Trafalgar London Hilton (Trafalgar Square) and the Waldorf Hilton (West End), hoping that these will be central to most things we want to see.>>

4) What's the best way to get out to Stonehenge? If we rent a car for one day, I'm thinking we might be able to drive out to Stonehenge, then maybe the southern coastline.

the hotels you mention sound fine; those who have stayed in london recent;y may have better ideas. if you really don''t care where it is so long as it's central, you might consider Priceline>>.

4) What's the best way to get out to Stonehenge? If we rent a car for one day, I'm thinking we might be able to drive out to Stonehenge, then maybe the southern coastline. >>

try searching this forum for tours to S'henge from central london. the sorts of hotels you are looking at will probably have tours they recommend. for one day, i don't think that car hire would be worth it.
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 07:33 AM

London is a fantastic city and even in the cold you should be fine with the right jacket, scarf and perhaps hat/gloves. Its likely to be grey, potentially some showers, and cold enough for a winter jacket and scarf. The days will be fairly short - likly 8ish hours of day light, but there are lots of museums and inside activities to warm you up - plus the pubs of course!

To answer your questions:

(1) what is the weather NORMALLY like in late November/early December? Will it be too cold for outdoor sightseeing, or will it be fine with a jacket?

Answered above.

(2) Is it easy to get around without a car? We don't mind a lot of walking.

You definite DO NOT want to drive in London, public transport is excellent - familiarise yourself with www.tfl.gov.uk and do a search here for Oyster. You will likely walk alot as well.

(3) Is it easy to take the subway/tube from the airport to hotels in downtown London? We pack light! After doing some searching here, I'll be checking out the County Hall Marriott, The Trafalgar London Hilton (Trafalgar Square) and the Waldorf Hilton (West End), hoping that these will be central to most things we want to see.

Yes - what method you use will depend on where your hotel is and what airport you come into. From Heathrow you can catch the Piccadilly line - it takes about an hour and is your cheapest option. From Gatwich there is a regular train service into Victoria or London Bridge station and you can make your way that way. A more expensive route is a car service - check out www.justairports.com

(4) What's the best way to get out to Stonehenge? If we rent a car for one day, I'm thinking we might be able to drive out to Stonehenge, then maybe the southern coastline.

You can either do this yourself and train to Salisbury from London (check times and routes at www.nationalrail.co.uk) and then there is a tourist bus to take you to stonehenge where you can rent an audio guide. Salisbury is also worth a stop to see the cathedral and the lovely town centre. I have also done a day trip to Salisbury/Stonehenge through www.walks.com and highly recommend it!

With so little time in London you may not want to do a day trip at all - I really dont think you have time to drive Dover to Southampton and I recommend staying in London for your whole time (maybe do stonehenge if you must).

Hope this helps!
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 07:34 AM

Some info on getting to stonehenge using public transport:
http://www.londontoolkit.com/whattod...ting_there.htm
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 07:40 AM

We're going on our first trip to London in Mid-November and the statistical data I've found is that the average high is about 48-50F and the average low is 37-39F.

Now these are averages, so while it gives you an idea, it's certainly not set in stone and could be colder or warmer either way. I'm packing layers, a warm coat, and an umbrella. I may not need a heavy coat or the umbrella, but I think it's better to plan for nasty weather and be pleasantly suprised.
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 08:05 AM

annhig, I can't resist being facetious: "pout a jumper" - would that be in the style of Lana Turner and Marilyn Monroe?
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone! We *were* hoping to pack light, but probably won't be able to if we have to layer it up.

"No idea why you would want to drive Dover to Southampton" -- We were hoping to see some nice coastline, but doesn't sound like this is the way to go. Maybe just drive from Stonehenge to Dover? Hate to sound stupid, but are the "white cliffs" worth the trip? (LOVED the cliffs in Ireland!)
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Re: Dover's white cliffs -- perhaps viewing from the top is not the best way to view them; perhaps not worth the time it would take?
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 08:44 AM

"We're going on our first trip to London in Mid-November and the statistical data I've found is that the average high is about 48-50F and the average low is 37-39F. "

So you can absolutely guarantee those are ranges you won't encounter

Quoting figures as spuriously precise as that is downright foolish. Sub-freezing daytime temps are perfectly possible. So are temps in the low 60s. I'm quite likely to go into London in my shirt sleeves

It's not some kind of in-joke to repeat ad nauseam that London weather is unpredictable. Nor that:
- there's no such thing as "nasty weather". Just people too feckless to wrap up
- London's stuffed with cheap clothes. The myth about expense is fostered by tourists too feckless (or too reliant on ill-informed guidebooks) to buy them from Primark
- No-one comes here to sunbathe. And that's the only outdoor activity weather ever stops you from doing here.
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 09:02 AM

You only have 4-5 days there. Forget Stonehenge and the Cliffs of Dover. There is PLENTY to see in London. If you need to get out of the city, hop a train to Cambridge or Oxford for a day.
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 09:47 AM

London in winter is more like DC or VA than it is NY or Boston. Chilly and likely some rain - but not really cold and not much chance of snow. (For perspective - cold in winter is in the 20s or teens, 40 is warm.)

If you must se Stonehenge do - but as for seeing anything else - realize that the days are VERY short - much shorter than in the US since futher north. Yuo wuold be driving along the coast in the dark.
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 11:13 AM

Goodness flanneruk, I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers

You'll see that I mentioned that these are only averages/starting points, and and it could be warmer or colder either way. Perhaps I should clarify that an average is a compilation of all kinds of data points that include outliers on either side.

And of course you're absolutely right that nasty weather is a matter of opinion. But in my opinion, right at freezing and raining is not pleasant no matter WHAT I'm wrapped in. But that's my preference. It's also a great excuse to duck into some fun new places!
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 11:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
annhig, I can't resist being facetious: "pout a jumper" - would that be in the style of Lana Turner and Marilyn Monroe?>>

oh, most definitely, Patrick, or Jane Mansfield, perhaps?

the White Cliffs - really they can only be seen from the deck of a channel ferry so I'd forget about those.

if you want a day out at the sea, and the weather is good, get the train to Brighton and see the Pavilion.
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 12:17 PM

"Maybe just drive from Stonehenge to Dover? "

It's three hours by the direct route, going via the coast makes that 5 hours
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 02:00 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>It's three hours by the direct route, going via the coast makes that 5 hours</i>"

And in a winter storm could take much longer.

Stonehenge/Salisbury is a very doable day trip from London by train. Absolutely no need to rent a car.

Stonehenge and the Kent coast (Dover) is definitely NOT a day trip from London.

"<i>We have just 4-5 days, so are planning to spend all of our time in the London area</i>" But in the next breath you say you want to visit out in Wiltshire and then all the way across to the SE coast.

Stonehenge, Salisbury, Brighton, Dover and the south coast would fill more than your 4-5 days. If it was me, I'd plan on spending the whole time IN London, and then if there is a nice-ish day and you feel you can spare the time away from the city, jump on the train to Salisbury and visit Stonehenge.
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 04:11 PM

Nobody's mentioned the wind. It whips through the streets in London and drops the perceived temperature. Hopefully, your outer rainproof layer will be windproof too.
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 05:07 PM

I was in London on business the last week of November a couple of years ago. The most surprising thing was not the weather (which was chilly and rainy) but the hours of daylight. I went to the office in the dark and left the office in the dark. None of that interfered with my enjoyment of the city. Although we have been to London numerous times, I still enjoyed museums and shopping after work. I got a lot of Christmas shopping done and especially enjoyed the museum shop at the Victoria and Albert. Dress in layers, take rainwear and you should be fine. Save your outdoor activities for midday (10 to 3).
Old Oct 20th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Clearly I wasn't looking at a map (and didn't have my geography correct!) when I "thought out loud" about driving from Stonehenge to Dover.

Okay, Dover is OUT. We definitely want to see Stonehenge; are there any other historical sights in the Salisbury area (LOVED the book "Sarum") A friend suggested we visit Bath. Yes, I know that's not Salisbury (I have a map now!), but could one reasonably (timewise/daylight wise) combine a daytrip from London to Stonehenge/Salisbury/Bath? We definitely want to see Stonehenge and would like to make the most of our daytrip.

I really appreciate everyone's input!
Old Oct 20th, 2011, 08:58 AM

If you have a car then combine Stonehenge with Avebury & Devizes - though I warn you Stonehenge will probably feel like the South Pole

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -