Search

London Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Hotels

Love this site,

I'm taking my sister to London - her first time in Europe. Trying to pick a good hotel for approx. $1,000 USD/for 4 nights. So far my choices are;

Sumner Marble Arch: leaning toward this one

London Bridge: from the comments on here the only thing wrong with this one is the location. If i remember correctly, I walked from the Radisson in Bloomsbury to a spot where I could look across the river to the Houses of Parliment - took approx. 30 minutes. I'm not familiar with London neighborhoods but, with that in mind, how far away is it from West End? I'd do want her to be able to come out of the hotel and be in the "midst of it" - think she'd enjoy that. I actually liked the Radisson (believe it was on Russell in Bloomsbury - half block from the British Museum, it's out of my price range but, a perfect location.

K+K George

Manderville

Parkcity

skoosh.com and uk-bookings.com seem to have some good prices. comments?

Any help would be much appreciated. Also, If you know of other hotels in my price range....

Thanks

Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 01:56 PM

The only thing that Marble Arch is in the middle of (well edge of) is Oxford Street & shopping

London Bridge is nowhere near the Houses of Parliament and given the bend in the river you can't see it

It's about half a mile from The Tower of London & St Pauls

From your description it's probable you were at Westminster Bridge (was there a rather large ferris wheel there?) which means either the Marriot County Hall or the Premier Travel Inn - both are in walking distance of the West End
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 01:58 PM

When are you going?
Yhe Sumner has good winter specials. We'll be staying there for 2 nights in early December and I'll do some form of a trip report when I get back.
We normally stay in S. Kensington so this will be a different neighborhood for us to - I am looking forward to tryignt he hotel.
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 02:25 PM

Try www.Londontown.com or www.londonnights.com//I've gotten excellent rates from them in excellent locations. I'd skip London Bridge location. Actually I prefer S.Ken...a few walkable sites, and good transport
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 04:36 PM

My goodness... rereading my previous post, it appears I no longer have the ability to type proper words!
Apologies for the typos. Will work on reading through my words before I hit "post"!!!
I second jodi's suggestion of londontown.com but often find I can get better rates by checking the hotel websites, or contacting them directly. I do find booking sites helpful in suggesting properties that are available for chosen dates.

Like the other posters I'd avoid the London Bridge location.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your responses. Anyone familiar with the Sumner property; location, service...?

Alan, the hotel was the Radisson located in Bloomsbury on Russell Street. From there I remember walking through Soho to a shopping area that I believe was on Regent street and looking out onto the houses of Parliment. But, it appears from your reply that neither the Marble Arch nor London Bridge are close to the West End which is the location I prefer. Of the hotels you mentioned; Marriott County Hall, Premier Travel, would you recommend them?