London Hotel Suggestions

Search

London Hotel Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Hotel Suggestions

Can you give me some hotel suggestions in the vicinity of White Hall that you might recommend? We would like to stay at around $350 - $400 a night in our budget. Someone recomended St. Martin's Lane and was wondering if anyone had any experience with that hotel?

Thanks very much.
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 12:07 PM

Try www.priceline.co.uk.

There are two ways to use it. The first is a simple search for your dates, which can be modified for price limits or using the map. I use that to get an idea of the prices charged in the district.

The second way is to use the "name your own price" system, which is slightly different for the UK priceline compared to the US system.

There are techniques for using it properly, but that is how I obtained a 4* in Trafalgar Square in June for four nights for £85 ($140) per night. If you use that be aware that you don't get to choose the hotel, just the star level; you pay up front with no cancellation possibility - so check details VERY carefully before you click on "buy"; and taxes and fees are added to your bid price. My bid was £72 to achieve that final price of £85. You have lots of time, so I suggest you start with a bid that is ridiculously low. When it is rejected wait 24 hours, raise it slightly, and try again. Repeat until you succeed. There are ways to get around that 24 hour requirement and make several bids in one day. It may sound tedious but if you have the time it can save a lot of dollars - or pounds.

If you are from the USA you can also use www.priceline.com for London hotels. The system is similar but they will only accept US residents for their version of "name your own price".

The London tube and down-town buses work well, so it may be worth considering staying a little further away if you can't get the price you want in the West End.

Cheers, Alan
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 01:58 PM
hsv

St. Martin's Lane isn't exactly near White Hall. I haven't stayed there as I live in the city, but I have frequented their restaurant. Looks like a reasonably fashionable place with good service to me. I might be tempted to try it were I to stay in a hotel here.

Depending on which end of Whitehall you want to be near to and if you don't mind being on the other side of St. James Park, you could stay close to Piccadilly and Mayfair, possibly at Duke's Hotel, which is a very sophisticated place roughly behind the Ritz (again I only know the public areas).
The Sofitel also looks pleasant and is roughly in that area.
These two are alternatives - the St. Martin's Lane recommendation does have a lot of appeal, though.

The end of Whitehall away from Trafalgar Sq tends to be a bit dull, so moving up slightly into the direction of either Trafalgar Sq (to move you closer to Theatre Land) or to Piccadilly (to move you closer to Mayfair) could be an option.
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 02:00 PM
hsv

Forget my 1st sentence. St. Martin's Lane <b>is</b> near one end of Whitehall.
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much.