Search

London hotel recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London hotel recommendations?

Dear Fodorites,

My husband and I will be making an 8-day trip to England and France this October and are planning to spend three nights (10/7 - 10/10) in London. Could anyone recommend a clean and respectable hotel near the Museums or shopping areas in the $100-$150 per night range? We're willing to spend more if need be, but would like to save a little on the London hotel, as we're splurging on a couple of little inns in the Loire valley.

Thanks for any help!
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 09:04 AM

You are the perfect candidates for Priceline. $100 is only £55-£60 (depending on the exchange at the time) and that is a tough call.

But for $100 to $150 on PL you can get a very nice 3 or 4 star hotel in the center of town. Carefully study biddingfortravel.com before making a bib.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 09:05 AM

uh - that should be ". . . . making a bid."
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 09:10 AM
MaureenB

We liked our little hotel in London this June-- the Hyde Park Radnor. It includes a hot breakfast, which was a bonus for us. The hotel is across the road, north of Hyde Park, so not close to museums per se, except it's a nice 15-minute walk to Kensington Palace if you don't mind being on foot. We enjoyed the neighborhood a lot. Paddington Station is also close, for convenience to mass transit. But the hotel is not in a seedy neighborhood as it can be if you're closer to Paddington.

If you click on my name above, you will find my London-Paris-Amsterdam trip report with details about the hotel and some restaurants we liked.

Enjoy your trip!

Old Jul 5th, 2005, 09:28 AM

I am with Janis on this. I got the Aldwych Hilton for $120 a night on Priceline. Great bed, refrigerator and micro in room, convenient to theatres, museums and shopping. I bid $120 for a four star in Mayfair.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 09:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Also check out www.londontown.com. They often have great prices.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 09:55 AM

I'll assume cmcfong means the Waldorf Hilton (which is on the Aldwych). This is a great example - the location is terrific - walking distance to all the theatres, Covent Garden, Somerset House, the river, Trafalgar Square, etc.

W/o priceline you could expect to pay 2 or 3 times as much for that hotel. It is a property that is frequently "won" on PL.

You could check out biddingfortravel, get some ideas and then come back here if you have more questions.

If Priceline doesn't appeal to you - then londontown or laterooms are good sites for discounted hotels. Laterooms is just that - rooms avaliable at the last minute so you couldn't book through them until the last couple of weeks in Sept.

BTW - there isn't any one museum or shopping area. There are major tourist sites all over London. But not to worry, the transport is excellent so you can easily get anywhere from just about anywhere
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 10:24 AM

OOPS. You are right, Janis. It was the Waldorf Hilton on Aldwych.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 04:17 AM

The Regency in S. Kensington
about $170 a night for 2 people

http://www.regency-london.co.uk/
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone who weighed in on this conversation. I had used Priceline many times before for travel here in the States, but never when traveling internationally. We bid $120/night for a Priceline 4-star hotel and got the Holiday Inn in Kensington. Holiday Inn wouldn't have been my first choice, but I'm sure it'll be fine.

We had a little lapse in planning as London endured a most terrible week, but this weekend we'll resume our planning and look to flesh out the next phase of our 8-day European getaway, which then takes us to Paris and briefly through the Loire valley. Can't wait!

Thanks again for the advice.