London, hotel or apratment?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are planning our first trip to Europe. We've chosen London and Paris as our destinations. We'll be there from May 19 through May 30. We've already made travel arrangements via British Airways because they have a nonstop fly from Tampa, FL to London. We're next trying to decide where to stay. We read in the NYT about this website called Vacation Rentals By Owners, VBRO.com. I went there and saw lodging for two from $550 GPB to $995 GBP. The site is not clear abput the exact location of this apartments as there are no maps. At any rate, their prices range from $78 gbp to $142 gbp per day. My questions is: Is this a good deal? Coul I stay at a nice hotel for less than that? Our budget is no more than $80 gbp per night. Thanks a lot.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 08:12 AM

I can't say from actually being there, but after a lot of research I did, we decided to go the apartment (flat) route. We're going May 20-31 and found a flat on vbro.com that was cheaper than staying in a hotel. That way we can grab some food and not eat every meal out. You can find out the location of the flats by emailing the contact and asking for a map or specific location. The only warning I would give is there sometimes are additional costs, such as a cleaning fee, with flats. You just need to ask all of this up front.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. Would you mind sharing with us what your cost is and how much are these other fees?
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Neopolitan

chernan, the "additional" fees will range from property to property. You might want to post which VRBO properties you're looking at and get some comments here about location and thoughts. Or enter "apartments in London" in the search function here and you will find a lot of good detailed recent posts with some suggestions.

My personal belief is that you can get more for your money in London with a flat, but it's hard to compare apples to apples. If you main goal is simply keeping cost very low, you may find that apartments in that price range will have even less character or charm than hotels in the same price range.

Old Apr 24th, 2006, 08:32 AM

Not sure it is relevant to you but is cost the only differentiator? We would always prefer to stay at a flat (apartment) than a hotel - that feeling (pretending?) of actually living there, of being able to make tea, coffee, breakfast, light snacks, to have somewhere comfortable to sit which is not a bed, to not have people crashing in wanting to check the mini bar etc. 80GBP per night will not get you much in the way of hotels - unless you get a deal. 550 - 650GBP per week for a flat - depending on where it is could be a good deal - you need to look at maps of London and Paris and also do some research as to where you would stay. I would not pay 995GBP per week - but that is still cheaper than a lot of hotels.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone else used the VRBO.com website and what has been your experience? Thanks.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 01:46 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
chernan2: VRBO is Vacation Rentals By <u>Owner</u>. You deal with the owners directly so one's experience would depend on the individual owner.

As for asking how much a flat should cost - there are MANY variables: location, size, decor, lift or walk up, amenities, a/c or not, washer/dryer, and on and on . . .

So w/o knowing WHICH flat you are considering and the rent no one can tell you if it is a good rate or not.

I have rented studios for less than &pound;350 per week, 1 bdrms anywhere from &pound;450 to over &pound;1000 per week, and 2 bdrms from less than &pound;600 to over &pound;1200 - and all were good value for money.

So it totally depends on the individual flat/owner. give us some details like location, size, VRBO # if you have it, etc.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 07:17 PM

We stayed at the Scala House for 18 days 2 years ago. It was extremely convenient to the Tube. All of the apartments are 2 bedrooms/2 baths. Including a washer/dryer combo. Here is the website:

http://www.scala-house.co.uk/brochure.html
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 05:26 AM

Try Coach House Rentals. They’ve been in business in London for 5 years and have a great reputation there see: www.rentals.chslondon.com. They’ve just started up an operation in Paris - www.rentals.chsparis.com.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 06:36 AM
Neopolitan

Is that the company that was sued for operating crack houses within their apartments? And where they were drugging the tenants and harvesting kidneys from them? Just curious, Harley.

Meanwhile why don't you take your advertising elsewhere.