Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Follow up to how expensive is London--what will a budget apartment rental cost?

Feb 17th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

We've been many, many places in Europe but never London or the UK because it seems so expensive and there are so many places we want to see that we keep waiting and assuming that sometime London will be affordable. Maybe it never will be.

We like to rent apartments and do the self-catering route using primarily take-out type food or deli food we can reheat. We find apartments more relaxing and more economical. Last spring we found a very nice and comfortable apartment in Paris through VRBO, just very slightly away from the most desirable areas but still in a good location with access to everything. As I recall we paid $900 for 11 nights. About how much would a budget type (but not a dump in a bad neighborhood) apartment cost in London? We don't need or particularly want to be in the midst of tourist central as long as we have access to the more tourist oriented places we'd want to go. Plus, we also like to just explore interesting neighborhoods. Thanks.
Feb 17th, 2007, 07:18 PM

I think you'll find most will agree that hotels and apartments are considerably more expensive in London than in Paris.
We pay less than $100 per night for our apartment in Paris, but pay closer to $200 a night for our apartment in London. Both are very nice. You can get apartments for much less than that in London.
Feb 17th, 2007, 07:30 PM

Sandra Gustafson has a fine book on accommodation in London, both hotels and apartments, called "Great Sleeps in London". You might find the book at your library. She quotes some prices, and certainly you can find prices listed on many rental websites. I rented a nice budget flat through one of her recommended agencies, Independent Traveller. You can find them online at http://www.gowithit.co.uk

London *is* expensive, and while you can wait until the exchange rate goes down (I've never seen it so high, in over 20 years of visiting the U.K.), you could wait a loonnggg time for the country to be a cheap vacation. London, in particular, is expensive. Plan ahead, cut your budget where you can, GO, and enjoy it.
Feb 18th, 2007, 01:55 AM

All kinds of prices in all kinds of neighborhoods here. The prices are in USD if you're from the US.

www.londonguestsuites.com
Feb 18th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Maybe we'll give London a try soon after all. Prices on the sites you referred me to don't seem too terrible.