London Hotel near theatres

Jan 27th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

London Hotel near theatres

Anyone know of some nice, quiet London hotels (around $100 range) in or near the theatre district?
Jan 27th, 2004, 12:45 PM

HI
The theatre district is walkable more or less from a number of neighborhoods, including Soho, Covent Garden, Bloomsbury, Mayfair. You might want to do some browsing at www.londontown.com, or
click at the top of this screen on Hotels, and browse the fodors London suggestions by neighborhood, with comments from past guests.
Jan 27th, 2004, 12:54 PM

With the dollar to weak against the pound, you're going to have a difficult if not impossible time finding anything even close to "nice" at $100. (Unless you're definition of nice is very different from mine.) Like Elaine said, most theaters are centrally located and easily reachable on foot or by tube, so I wouldn't worry so much about the exact location of your hotel. Try www.lastminute.com for bargains.
Good luck!
Jan 27th, 2004, 01:03 PM

I recently got back from a short trip to London and I stayed at a B&B in Bloomsbury called the Arosfa Hotel, 83 Gower St, Tube stop is Goodge St.
It is clean, pleasant, breakfast provided. No elevator. My single room was small but cheap (45 GBP) and my bathroom was VERY very small, almost comical, about the size of an airplane bathroom including the shower area. However, as I said, the place was clean, the owners helpful, the breakfast good. A double goes for 50-something GBP, which puts it in your price range. They don't have a website.
tel/fax 207 636 2115
Jan 27th, 2004, 01:17 PM

Assuming you don't need a room for more than 2, I'd suggest looking into bidding on Priceline. Go to biddingfortravel.com. Have a look at what hotels people are winning in that price range. BTW, remember there's VAT (tax) of 17.5% which is sometimes not included in room rates. Some rates will include breakfast & some won't.

Also have a look on laterooms.com & lastminute.com
Jan 27th, 2004, 01:47 PM

I hear the Strand Hotel is cheap and tolerable. Morgan House is supposed to be pleasant. I did not stay at these two hotels.

One Aldwych is maybe my favorite hotel in London (so far).

myhotel Bloomsbury was quite nice - cross b/w old fashioned and mod.

Radisson Grafton is also a decent, old world hotel. it's up near Warren Street. an easy ride to Leicester Square.
Jan 27th, 2004, 02:21 PM

The tube runs at all hours of the night...why does one have to stay near anything in particular? The Oxford at Hyde park is £60 for a double ,includes Vat,service and breakfast, on Londonnights.com. London is walkable!
Jan 27th, 2004, 04:25 PM

Actually, the tube stops service at midnight. After midnight, one must rely on the bus or taxi (or walk, of course).

Jan 27th, 2004, 04:32 PM

Gekko is right. The one time we stayed out a bit, we found that when we ate dinner after the theatre, which we love to do, we missed the last underground train two nights and had to taxi back to our hotel.
Jan 27th, 2004, 05:48 PM

Guess I'm an early to bed early to rise person! I eat before theater..then head back to my bed...what time do the night buses stop?

A nice long walk after sitting on your butt for a few hours beats the tube !