Cheap London Hotels

Sep 18th, 2003, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Cheap London Hotels

I was just in London in Augist and LOVED it and now have the good fortune to have the opportunity to return in November.

I'm looking for recommendations on super cheap London hotels. Hotel amenities are not important, only that it's clean. I'm not as interested in "charm" as in low cost and convenient (central) location.
Sep 18th, 2003, 02:25 PM

In your situation, priceline could well be ideal. Check out www.biddingfortravel.com & www.betterbidding.com for more details and recent winning bids.
Feb 7th, 2004, 10:21 AM

ttt
Feb 7th, 2004, 11:20 AM

Check out a guide like Let's Go for budget accomodations. There are many reasonable B and Bs in the Bloomsbury area. We stayed at the Arosfa (listed in Let's go) for 50GBP. The room was clean with a sink in it (Bathroom down the hall). We were the only ones using the bathroom and it was always clean. Bloomsbury is a great location - we could walk to the West End for theatre and great restaurants.
Feb 7th, 2004, 11:33 AM
yk

insgirl-

I don't know what you have in mind for "super cheap". I stayed at Garth Hotel a few years ago and thought the price was right. Nothing spectacular but clean, with a good hearty English breakfast (baked beans....yumm! )
It's at the Bloomsbury area which I personally like. It is about 10mins walk from SoHo, and a good choice of different tube stations and tube lines within 5-10 mins walk.

http://www.garthhotel-london.com/
Feb 7th, 2004, 11:56 AM

I've talked about this site before, but they're worth mentioning again - check out Smooth Hound for hotel info - www.smoothhound.co.uk - you can search by price, area. amenities, whatever you choose plus link to further info & pictures. I used them to find an inexpensive place (for London) that gave us a discount for quoting Smooth Hound, but we haven't gone yet so I can't give you a first hand review yet. I've been to London three times before and stayed at:
1. Ruskin Hotel - great location right across the street from the British Museum in Bloomsbury, very clean & charming, TV in the lounge rather than each room, a lift (which is rare), reasonably priced but not the cheapest. 2. Holly House - cheap. Good location near Victoria Station, could walk to Buckingham Palace, but! the trains from Victoria Station practically ran right through the room until 11 at night and the room was TINY even by London standards, no lift, however the people running it were really nice, pleasant and helpful but they were Indian and while that in itself was not an issue, I don't happen to like curry and the whole building smelled of it. But it was cheap. Could have been a bit cleaner #3. Regent Palace - yuk! The only good thing about this dump was the lcoation right at Picadilly Circus, but it was dirty and noisy, fairly cheap but not so cheap you couldn't find lots of better places at the same rate.

Those are my stories and I'm sticking to them! Do check out Smooth Hound.
Feb 7th, 2004, 12:09 PM

I have a question: What do you mean by "cheap"? Could you give some ballpark figures?
Feb 8th, 2004, 08:18 PM

I was in London in sept. Stayed a two differant places,both rather cheap but nice safe, and very helful staff, Cherry Court hotel, and the Jubilee hotel. each have a web site.Both are about 5 minutes from Victoria Station.I'm planning on returning again this year,April or Sept, and will be staying again at one of the two.If uou need any more info, just let me know...
Feb 9th, 2004, 04:57 AM

insgirl's trip was months ago.

Keith
Feb 9th, 2004, 06:16 PM

Now thats what I get for being on here when I'm tired.
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:54 AM

We were in London last March and stayed at the Mayflower Hotel in Earl's Court for 99.00 GBP per night for three people. The hotel was clean, nice and breakfast was good. The staff was fantastic and very helpful. We would stay there again.
As for the Earl's Court area, I and the two ladies I was with were out late at night and felt safe walking back to our hotel in this area.
There were convenience stores and one of London's best bakeries is located in Earl's Court.
Feb 11th, 2004, 09:37 AM

the original question is months old, but the topic always of interest
My suggestion based on last month's stay is the Arosfa Hotel, 83 Gower St, no website, they have a phone and fax.
I posted comments here, and at tripadvisor.com
It is essentially a B&B, no elevator, no a/c. Spotlessly clean and well kept.Location good.
I had a very small single room and a TEENY bathroom. I looked at the double and triple rooms. Size not bad, considering, though bathrooms still very small. Cooked breakfast is included every morning. Nearest tube is Goodge St; Russell Sq Tube (on a straight line from Heathrow) is about a 10-15 minute walk.
Currently single is 45 pounds, double 50 something, triple about 75, quad about 90.
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:06 PM

we just returned from London...I recommend a package deal with both hotel and air.....cant be beat. Try Octopus Travel or Travel Bound. You may find their pkgs are cheaper than just air. We had a great time..if you use Gatwick use Hotelink to your hotel door.....they put you on The train and meet you at Victoria station
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:12 PM

I had a somewhat sobering experience just thinking about cheap London hotels.
I took a look at this hotel (which is actually available cheaper on other sites, in fact 40 pounds for a twin ensuite with breakfast) and thought it sounded good.

http://www.travelstay.com/pages/Mont...xcelHotels.htm

Then I did a Google search and found this article:

http://www.crackcocaineincamden.co.u...n%20preece.htm

I was wondering if I could do better than Priceline - my guess is no!