London hotel for one...

Sep 22nd, 2006, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

London hotel for one...

Hi,
my husband thinks that I need to spoil myself and is trying to talk me into going to London for a couple of days on my own. I think that he has me convinced that what I really need is two days with time to shop and see some great art and go to cafes with a good book and not thinking about what to cook for dinner and how to get to the kindergarten before closing time... So, can any of you recommend a nice hotel where I won't feel awkward eating breakfast alone? Since I am going to pamper myself I am not looking for a budget hotel (I am thinking around 240 pounds per night)... the main thing is location, a tasty breakfast and preferably an inroom dvd player... I've been in London several times before, but now I am going by myself and really want a nice place to stay...
Any suggestions?
Sep 22nd, 2006, 02:19 PM
Amy

Well, my solo hotel wasn't at all in that range (the Thistle Marble Arch) but I didn't feel at all awkward at breakfast: I'd popped around to Marks and Spencer's food hall and gotten a little pyramid of profiteroles and put 'em in the frig.

Best. Breakfast. Ever. (and in my jammies...)
Sep 22nd, 2006, 02:31 PM

Do you belong to any clubs (country clubs, social clubs, etc) in your home town? London is full of clubs that might have a reciprocal membership with your club. A great place to stay if you're on your own (and yes, there are club in London for women!)
Sep 22nd, 2006, 02:33 PM

I don't know if the Hotel Goring on Beeston Place has an in-room DVD player (although they might put one in for you) but it's a lovely place, located between Buckingham Palace and Victoria Station. We see many business travelers there, so you won't feel odd eating alone and the staff is wonderful!

Here's the URL:

www.goringhotel.co.uk/
Sep 22nd, 2006, 02:46 PM

The Rubens at the Palace would be a good choice - they have a "single female traveler" package and their "Royal (upgraded) Rooms" are around £200. www.rubenshotel.com/
Sep 22nd, 2006, 04:54 PM

Yes to the Goring--a perfect place for someone on her own.
Sep 22nd, 2006, 04:56 PM

Trust me on this. Check out the Franklin Hotel. I don't know about the DVD player but it's perfect for shopping, is quiet, luxurious & the location cannot be better.

http://tinyurl.com/rpluz
Sep 22nd, 2006, 08:27 PM

I stayed at The Cranley Hotel a few years ago while traveling on my own. It's a small, privately owned hotel in a beautiful residential area of So. Kensington. Very cozy reception room with a fire place and wine served in the afternoon. Room was very nice with half canopy bed and very nice bathroom. Wonderful breakfast served in the room. I felt very safe there because when you enter the hotel you must press a "buzzer" and the staff lets you in (no strangers in and out of the hotel). As I said the area is lovely with lots of cafes, small grocers and plenty of shops - plus a short walk to the Gloucester Rd. tube station. I really felt pampered. Wish I could afford it again!
Sep 23rd, 2006, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your great responses! I will have a look at all the hotels you have suggested. Amy, I think that we have the same taste in great breakfasts - I could see myself doing exactly the same!
Sep 23rd, 2006, 05:42 AM

I frequently go to London on my own and to perfectly honest I don't hesitate to stay at any hotel or go into any restaurant. Sometimes, single rooms in hotels are pretty bad,but my preference, Dukes Hotel, has wonderful single rooms.
http://www.dukeshotel.com/