London, here I come after some years.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2011, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I, are going to London in May for one to two weeks. Leaving from Miami we are going first to Barcelona-Andorra to stay with friends and then flying a budget airliner to London and flying back home from London to Miami.
We have not being in London for some years , I would appreciate a hotel recommendation, with a good location and offering a pleasant stay. Three to four stars, but it might be a nice B& Breakfast or anything else nice to stay in.My philosophy is that hotels are not only a place to sleep but instead they are an important part of the trip. Thus I can say that I have stayed in
very nice hotels like the RItz in Madrid but also at the b&b Arco del Lauro in Rome and loved both and the most importantly enjoyed both. If anyone agrees with this and has a place to recommend in London, I shall be greatful to get all the advice I can get. Actually I do not believe too much in the stars ratings.
Also since I have to choose a budget flight arriving to London from Barcelona, can anyone
tell me which London airports are to be avoided.?
Actually I am all ears ready to take advice from you all not only on hotels but on all related subjects. Thank you.
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 08:27 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>Three to four stars</i>" doesn't tell us what we need to know -- what is your budget?

As for which airports to avoid -- none really. All have reasonable access into central London. The very easiest/closest is London City but getting a bargain fare into LCY could be difficult.

LHR and LGW have the next easiest/shortest links to central London.

Luton is the farthest away but has easy train and bus access. Stansted also pretty far from the city but has direct train/bus connections.

So you really can go w/ whichever gets you the best schedule/fare.
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks janisj, my budget would be maximum 200 pounds. I am hoping for less.
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the airport information, exactly what I needed.
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 08:50 AM

I once stayed at the Athenaeum in London for 160 pounds a night in January. It's an intimate family-owned five star property and is extremely well located in Mayfair and within walking distance of most London attractions.
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 09:31 AM

The Athenaeum is great but VERY difficult to get anywhere near £200. For this May the cheapest rooms are nearly £300 a night and most are twice that.

Number Sixteen might fit your criteria - VERY nice but w/ VAT all but the cheapest rooms would be up there. http://www.crosbystreethotel.com/index.php?page_id=17

Or nice hotels like the Royal Horseguards or most of the Millennium properties.

But for a week or two I'd <u>definitely</u> think about renting a flat. You'd get much more space for less ££ Your budget is sort of middle of the road for a hotel but pretty high end for a flat.
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 11:02 AM

May is obviously high season so forget about the Athenaeum but keep it mind for low season. How about Draycotts of Chelsea? It's in one of my absolute favorite parts of London in Chelsea just behind Knightsbridge and is in my opinion one of its best kept secrets. Studios run for about 165 pounds a night this May and it includes a daily maid service.

I've stayed there myself and thought it was perfect, so I sent my parents there and they thought it was a little on the small side. But you can select one-bedroom or two-bedroom flats if you want, which are bigger than studios. http://www.draycottsofchelsea.com/
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 11:12 AM

Number 16 looks so lovely Janis and I've just bookmarked it but rooms run for about 300 pounds in May...
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 11:31 AM

Yes, some of Number Sixteen's rooms are well over £300 -- but their standard doubles are running around £200 depending on the exact dates in May.

But being so popular it may not be able to book 7+ days there at this late date.

renting a flat could be difficult as well w/ so little lead time -- but it would still be worth a shot IMO.
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 12:24 PM

We stayed at Russell Hotel (150 £). Very good location, near British museum and near underground stop, direct transportation from Heathrew airport. Very good breakfast, nice room, A/C.