London for the first time

Feb 11th, 2002, 05:45 PM
Lucy Raley

London for the first time

We are going to London for the first time, first time in Europe actually. We will be there for Seven days. How long does it take to drive to a popular part of Scotland and how long does it take to drive to Paris?(I have heard you can now drive through the tunnel under the English Channel). Is it even worth trying to squeeze either one of these places in?

Feb 11th, 2002, 05:55 PM
bettyk

Years ago, we went to London for a week and managed to take a train trip to Edinburgh. This ate up almost 2 days, but it was well worth it. The scenery from London to Edinburgh was quite memorable as were some of the people we met. You could also plan to spend a day out of London seeing Hampton Court and/or Kew Gardens, then spend your remaining time in London. There is much to see and do there also. Others might disagree, but I wouldn't try to do Paris on this trip unless you really have your heart set on it. Paris deserves more time than just a couple of days.

Feb 11th, 2002, 06:01 PM
xxx

TROLL alert. . . . . drive to the most popular parts of Scotland and DRIVE (??) to Paris. give me a break.

Feb 11th, 2002, 06:04 PM
anne

I think you could do Paris or Scotland(Edinburgh/Stirling area) It is several hours away but doable. I would reccomend taking a leisurley train up to Scotland, part of it goes along the rugged coastline, very scenic. You could then rent a car at the train Station and take a small driving tour of this area , Stirling offers a rich history and is the gateway to the HIGHLANDS there is the castle, etc.. Driving is manageable and fun here. I do not think so in Paris.You could certainly take the train to Paris, and use the metro, taxi's,et a la pied!
You probalbly need to decide which area to go to and plan. paris and london are both big cities and require several days jsut to digest a bit of what has to offer. If you want my opinion, for 7 days I would do london and the wonderful areas in England..ie..York, Bath, Whitby, the Yorkshire Moors, the Lake District...just some suggestions
Have fun!

Feb 11th, 2002, 10:21 PM
Leslie

I agree with others that with only 7 days you should see London for at least 4 and venture out into the English countryside for 3. Recommend you consider visiting the Cotswolds and Bath, perhaps Stratford-upon-Avon in those three days. Stops at Blenheim Palace (near Oxford) and Windsor Castle will provide plenty to impress. Save Scotland and Paris for future trips. If this is your first time to Europe, I guarantee you'll come back again.

Feb 12th, 2002, 07:08 AM
Patrick Wallace

In this time-frame, don't even think of driving to Scotland (a good 8 hours) or Paris (don't even think of driving to Paris, ever). You might just about squeeze out a couple of days for one or the other (not both) if you're really bored by London, but I'd suggest flying to Edinburgh (there are some good deals available here at the moment - try www.flybe.com or www.londoncityairport.com) or taking the train to Paris (www.eurostar.com). But mostly I think you'd be stressing yourself out.

Feb 12th, 2002, 08:32 AM
Victor

Lucy,

Ignore the troll reply. That clown always tries to put somebody down, instead of giving an answer to your question.
Don't worry, you'll get enough information from other people on this board on whether you can do this or not.

Feb 12th, 2002, 08:38 AM
sylvia

I'd agree about flying to Scotland.
Driving up from London in one day would be exhausting although my son has done it once or twice. You could always take two days over it stopping off somewhere nice on the way.

Feb 12th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Lee

I have to agree with others that you might want to concentrate more on London itself. I've been there 3 times for varying lengths of time and still want to return to see things I've missed and revisit others that I love.

I've been to Paris twice and feel the same way about it. I have hardly scratched the surface, in my estimation.

I've also been to Scotland -- based in Glasgow with two day trips to Edinburgh by train and others out to castles, etc. I loved it and think Scotland deserves a trip unto itself. Heaven knows, I haven't "seen it all" there either.

Unless you think you'll never go back to Europe, try to get to know London and maybe a few places outside the city (as suggested - Bath or Stratford or Canterbury) at most. One can spend the entire week in London and find you just don't have enough time!

Lee

Feb 12th, 2002, 08:47 AM
Ruth

You can put a car on a train that goes under the Channel - you don't actually drive through the tunnel yourself. But I wouldn't advise it - the car you rent in the UK will be left-hand drive, and of course they drive on the left in France.

Feb 12th, 2002, 03:32 PM
Carla

Years ago a friend and I had a week in the UK and spent a good part of it getting to and from Edinburgh. We took a train. Scenery was lovely and people on the train more than happy to point out the sites, but it was a long trip. If I had it to do again I would take a couple of day trips outside of London and spend my time in Scotland somewhere other than Edinburgh. The other postings are right about Paris. It deserves its own trip. You would hate yourself for shortchanging it.