Reload this Page >

London Family Vacation

Search

London Family Vacation

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 03:03 PM
JR

London Family Vacation

My wife and I are planning a short (5-day) London vacation in April. We have two children - 7 and 10 years old. We're willing to consider several room options (family room or suite, as well as adjacent rooms), but would like to try to stay below say 275 pounds per night and be in a location with good restaurants in walking distance. Last time I was in London on business I stayed at the Grange Holborn, which I thought was nice enough but would prefer a more interesting area. Any suggestions?

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 04:14 PM
ginny

Hi JR!<BR><BR>What about renting a flat for the 5 days!!! More room for less money!!! That's what I'm doing when I go in May and have had a number of sites recommended!<BR><BR>London Serviced Apartments has a large selection in three different price categories:<BR>http://www.londonservicedapartments.co.uk/index.htm <BR><BR>Also check out Parkway London Apartments which I came across on London4rent site:<BR>http://www.london4rent.com/default.htm<BR><BR>And, Emperors Gate and Knaresborough Place Apartments: <BR>http://www.apartment-hotels.com/<BR><BR>Good Luck!!!<BR><BR>

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 10:35 PM
janis

I also recommend a flat. Having a kitchen (and its washer/dryer) would be a godsend with kids. And the extra space and likely extra bath you will have lots of room to spread out. With your fairly generous budget you would have MANY posh flats to choose from in Knightsbridge, S Kensington, Mayfair and other upscale neighborhoods. Some do require a 7-day stay, but more and more are renting by the night.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 02:39 AM
maria

Try the Travel Inn. www.travelinn.co.uk<BR><BR>I havent stayed in the central london ones, but I have stayed in the ones outside London and have found them to be cheap &pound;74.95 per night and clean and good for families. I recommend you stay at the Tower Bridge Travel Inn as this is a good tourist location.<BR><BR>Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:40 AM
JR

Are there any resources on the web for seeing reviews of the various flats? The only means I have seen so far is to distinguish by price.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:35 AM
David White

JR,<BR><BR>If you want the extra space, and especially if having a kitchen appeals to you, renting an apartment/flat is a good way to go. Consider LOCATION and price--picking as central a location as you can afford. As for reviews, I don't know of any website that has much on specific flats....scanning this message board (Fodors) is probably the best online resource. I found a number of entries by scanning on &quot;London flat&quot;.<BR> <BR>If you are considering the Travel Inn, suggest you look at the Travel Inn County Hall...location is superb (right next to the London Eye and walking distance to Parliament). A few, but not many, restaurants immediately around the hotel though. <BR><BR>For &pound;275, you could also consider other hotels--including major chain hotels in upscale areas. International travel is off and many hotels need your business, so shop around...even call them directly to ensure the best rate.<BR><BR>For example, there is a Holiday Inn in Mayfair, just up the street from the Hotel Ritz, that has rooms for &pound;120-140 per night. Great location, modern, &quot;American-style&quot;, city hotel. Two adjoining or nearby rooms, or kids can stay free in parents room--which can be a bit much for 5 nights.<BR><BR>Hope this is helpful.<BR><BR>David White<BR>http://www.KidsToLondon.com<BR><BR>

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:55 PM
Stefanie

We booked two adjoining rooms at the 4* royal horseguards for $70 per night= $140 per night total. We're going 2/11-2/17, so will let you know how the hotel is.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:14 PM
JR

Two strong possibilities are the Dolphin Square and the Marriott County Hall. Other posts have noted great deals on rooms in those places but in looking at some of the discount websites, I didn't see any great deals yet. Is it too early to find them now?

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 04:00 PM
Meg.

Last year we stayed in mayfair in a Two bedroom apartment,<BR>We paid about &pound; 275 a night<BR>booked through www.london4rent.com<BR>great location.