London Family Accommodations

Old Feb 13th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Family Accommodations

Staying 4 nights in London April 12-16 with 2 adults and three kids aged 10 to 13. Any recommendations as to a decent and clean place to stay (one room or two; apt or hotel) are greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help!
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Also, this is our first trip to London; any thoughts as to the best part of the City to stay generally are appreciated.
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 10:17 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
what is your budget?
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 11:04 PM

I've just booked our family of four into The Mansions Apartments at Earls Court, reasonable price (although twice as much as everywhere else I've booked in Europe)and quite a lot of space. Convenient location to Tube as well.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 02:00 PM

I have been to london twice in 4 years and am going back this summer with my son for a graduation present trip. Check out the Premier Travel Inn. They are the Super 8 of England. They are one of the few lodgings that have family rooms where you can a room with multiple beds for a family. They have several in London. the "London County Hall" location is ideal for central location and lots to see within a short walking distance. If you have any questions about booking for a family of 5, email them through their site. They have been very responsive to me via email. I can't recall if you can get all the family in 1 room there or not. If you need 2 rooms according to their requirements you get a big discount on the 2nd room rate. Also they have a big hot breakfast buffet for cheap by London standards. Look up other views about them on "tripadvisor.com" under London and then type in Premier Travel Inn London County Hall. You will get lots of candid reviews and traveler photos.

The first time I got an apt, the second time I got a hotel with full breakfast. Here is my advice on the whole accomodation & food issue. If the Premier Travel Inn works for you,stuff the family full at their hot breakfast. Then skimp as much as you can for the rest of the day. Pub lunches are more reasonable and there MANY MANY places that have fresh take out sandwiches etc.. (Pret A Manger & Tesco's, Simply Food being a couple of them). By day's end everyone is tired of walking/touring. A picnic supper with takeout sandwiches in your room will work fine and allow you to put your feet up, while not breaking your bank on dinner out. The depressed dollar will kill your wallet badly enough, economizing on food is a great way to save some $$ and feel more free to buy souvenirs and enjoy the attractions.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for thoughts thus far.
As to budget, we'd like to spend as little as possible for a clean safe place. Ideally, we'd like to stay under $350 / night, but most of the places we've looked at in that range are a either well outside of the city or do not review well.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 03:50 PM

Hi! Like mariebut, I will also be staying at The Mansions in Earls Court on my next trip. This will be my second time staying there...I found them (the first time) through London Serviced Apartments...
http://www.londonservicedapartments.co.uk/
They offer a nice selection of apartments in 3 different price groups throughout London, so, they might be worth a look to see if there is something that would suit you for your trip.
The apartments are fully furnished with all the conveniences and they are just a block from the tube.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions; we looked into all but found they were either already booked or more expensive than we want. we finally settled on a place called The Hart House, located just north of Oxford Street, on Gloucester Place. Gloucester Place is a one way street that runs parallel with Baker Street near Marble Arch and Baker St underground stations and a number of bus lines. Any experience with this place or suggestions for getting around for 2 adults and 3 kids (10-13 yrs old) is appreciated.