London Eye and Stonehenge

Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

London Eye and Stonehenge

We're heading to London the first week in April and want to go on the London Eye. I notice that you can buy regular tickets or pay a premium for tickets that get you on the ride within 15 minutes. Is it worth the premium? Should we expect long lines at that time of year (particularly if we want to go at night)? Also, we're interested in a special access tour to Stonehenge. any suggestions for which tour company to use? Thanks.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:22 AM

1st week of April is holiday for UK school children so expect it to be busy.

HOWEVER I wouldn't recommend booking well in advance as it would be a wasted trip if the visibility is poor.

You might find it better to book a Discovery Flight as it's several GBP cheaper and you get a guide.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:10 PM

We did the special access tour to Stonehenge, we have photos at www.neesie.org. We used the Stonehenge Tour Company, which is essentially Astral Travels. We did the sunset tour, which included Bath and Lacock. It was a wonderful tour!!! I really recommend it.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:12 PM

Oh - I don't even know if they still have the Stonehenge Tour company, I've not been able to find it online (but Astral Travels does the same tours under their own name). I've used Evans Evans for other tours and they've been great too.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I'll check our Astral tours for Stonehenge. For the London Eye, is the Discovery Flight a scheduled thing or do you just show up and wait in line?
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:07 PM

mandelieu: If you'll check the Eye's website - it answers your questions re discovery flights etc.

www.londoneye.com
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:43 PM

Just wanted to tell you about my amazing Stonehenge visit. Many years ago I was there on Christmas Day, by accident, driving my hire car back from Salisbury to Heathrow from where I was returning to Australia at midnight. Stonehenge was covered in snow which I gather is rare. Apart from one lonely security guard there was not another person there, and the guard very kindly showed me around, took my photo among the stones and the snow - and it cost nothing. Given that not another place was open in all of England on Christmas Day (I couldn't then even get a sandwich from a petrol station, much less a turkey LOL) - it was the most breathtaking White Christmas. English friends were very jealous, never having seen Stonehenge buried in anything other than tourists!