Portree to Ullapool, Scotland

Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Portree to Ullapool, Scotland

Has anyone made the drive from Portree on Skye to Ullapool? I know the maps say about three hours but is that correct?
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:58 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I've driven it one direction or the other maybe 5 or 6 times - and I could not give you even an estimate of the actual drive time. There is sooooo much to see and the scenery/photo ops are out of this world - so it has usually taken me between 5 and 7 hours (and much more if I stopped at Inverewe)

And remember too - just getting from Portree to the bridge can sometimes take an hour.

Hopefull sheila or someone else will see you thread and help you out.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:49 AM

I've driven the route many times but never to get from Ullapool to Portree or vice versa.

I guess you COULD do it in 3 hours; but why would you?

I suppose the fastest route we be to drive to Garve and then up, but you wouldn't do that. You'd either go to Invercarron, and Applecross and through Torridon and round the coast; or at least to Achnasheen and north to Gairloch and round the coast.

I would think.... 5 hours minimum?
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:03 AM

It depends on which route you would wish to take. The route initially towards Dingwall and then via Garve across to Ullapool is the quickest - about 3 hours as it is a reasonable rowad but is not the best for scenery. The coastal route via Plockton (optional) and continuing through Applecross/ Torridon and up to Poolewe / Gairloch is by far the better route for scenery and there are visitor centrs for Deer, Wildlife en route. The road in parts is tricky and the journey can, depending on stops etc, take at least 5 - 7 hours but it is well worth it.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. We were worried about the drive but we can make this. We are planning two nights in Ullapool. This area looks beautiful.