LONDON Eye

Jan 3rd, 2003, 07:31 PM
MIkeX

LONDON Eye

I have read several threads that mention the London Eye. I am just starting my research on London and do not know what the London eye is. Anyone volunteer to tell the dummy what we are talking about?

Jan 3rd, 2003, 07:35 PM
Woody

It's the ferris wheel, sponsored by British Airways, built for the Millenium. Each cabin is fully enclosed and holds a dozen or so people. Spectacular views on a clear day.

Jan 3rd, 2003, 08:54 PM
Keith

FYI. Its closed for almost the entire month of January. Annual "tune up"

Jan 3rd, 2003, 09:05 PM
zzzzz

The eye is scheduled to reopen January 27.

Jan 3rd, 2003, 10:00 PM
janis

Actually it is not a ferris wheel. It is an observation wheel. It is larger than any ferris wheel and the reason it is called an observation wheel is because a ride does not go round and round. Instead you take only one revolution at a VERY slow pace. In fact it moves so slowly you have little or no sense of motion.

One "flight" takes 30 minutes. The wheel is 450 high and each capsule holds 25 people. But in the winter and at slow times there won't likely be more than 10 or 12 in a car. The capsules are totally enclosed and even folks who fear heights can manage OK.

The views - especially on clear days or at sunset are awe inspiring. I have taken some amazing photos looking down on Big Ben, Parliament and the river in the waning sunlight and with the lights coming on all over town. In fact they are so dramatic, I have sold several copies at local arts shows.

Jan 6th, 2003, 11:21 AM
Keith

Janis,

You are right that it is not a "Ferris wheel" but not because a ride is only once around. The huge Riesenrad wheel in Vienna is once around and is a Ferris wheel. (You may remember seeing it in one of the Bond movies)

It is not a Ferris wheel because the cars to not hang from parallel rims, but are located fixed on the outside.

Keith

Jan 6th, 2003, 11:26 AM
janis

Thanks Kieth. I read something like that when it was first being designed but had forgotten it.

Jan 6th, 2003, 11:50 AM
Steve

Question concerning Eye. Is it necessary to make reservations or is it pretty easy to "walk up"? We'll be there in late March. thanks

Jan 6th, 2003, 12:05 PM
janis

It is no where near as busy as it was the first year. You can pretty much get on any day w/o booking ahead of time. Which is a good thing - what if you pre-book for march 27 and that is the only nasty rainy day of that whole week? I was last on the Eye on Dec 4 at 3:30PM (perfect dusk conditions and gorgeous with the lights coming on in Big Ben, Parliament, etc.). Just bought the ticket and walked right on. In March, if anything it should be less crowded than during the busy holiday season. If you didn't want to risk it last minute, you could stop by in the morning and buy your tickets for later in the day.

Jan 7th, 2003, 10:51 AM
marge

http://www.londoneye.com/default.asp

This is the London Eye website - with lots of information on what to expect and (if you desire) to prebook your 'flight'.

Jan 7th, 2003, 07:33 PM
Mike

I took the flight 01/03/03 with my family and it was very good. Cost was about $50 but the view on a clear day is excellant. The line was not long but on the previous Sunday there was a long line. There will be maintenance till Feb. so check availability.