London Eye seats

Jun 1st, 2008, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

London Eye seats

I have searched the forum, but the London Eye topics refer to it's visibility being "weather sensitive"

We were just in Vancouver and went on the Skyride at Grouse Mountain. People poured into the car and we were stuck in the middle and saw nothing but the back of other's heads.

Are the London Eye seats only around the windows or are there seats in the middle of the car also?

I don't want to repeat the disappointment.

Thanks !!

Cathy
Jun 1st, 2008, 04:56 PM

The London Eye is not a "seat" thing, for the most part. The pods are large ovals, mostly of windows. There are some benches in the middle of the pods, and some people can sit, but then they will not be able to see past those who are standing. Mostly it's a standing experience. People do move around, but there are times that someone is standing where the "best" view is.
Jun 1st, 2008, 04:57 PM

Oh, and also, there are attendants who load the pods, and there is a limit to how many people are allowed. On some days, they load the pods much below the maximum. So, all in all, you should be assured of a decent opportunity to the views.
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:10 PM

We went last week, there were about 12 in our oval....worked fine. Bench in middle, my son sat since he didn't do the height thing so well but he enjoyed it. We stood by the widows moved around. It was a clear evening....we did not have to wait in line very long to enter. I think you would want to keep an eye on the weather as it is quite pricey.
Jun 1st, 2008, 06:14 PM

I have been trying to get a photo link for you to see my pictures of the London Eye - and get some idea of the pod setup, but shutterfly.com is acting squirrely right now. BUT I found something better - official photo of "inside your pod":
http://goeurope.about.com/od/londo1/ss/london_eye_4.htm
Jun 1st, 2008, 06:18 PM

Sorry, another comment! If you look at the other pictures in the link above you will get a great look at the outside of the pods, and can see the people inside and the bench. Also the loading process.

Good luck - we really enjoyed going at sunset and seeing Big Ben/Houses of Parliament and the Thames below us.
Jun 1st, 2008, 08:45 PM

no seats (except for an oval bench in the center); no one will be in your way; you are totally free to walk around the capsule to get views in all directions; seldom are the capsules filled to capacity (it never stops moving so they don't hold it up to cram extra folks in).

It is not an "assigned seats" sort of thing - just a big open space and you won't be crowded. Even IF the capsule is filled to capacity - that is only 28 people. In practice there are usually between 12 and 20 people in a pod.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

WoW !

The pictures DO say a thousand words!

Thanks, Noe847, for the link...it really does show and tell all....my concerns have been answered. And, thank you to all of you for the helpful responses.

The skyride in Vancouver was also pricey: $35.00. It takes you up 3700'. Unless you "time" it just right to be the last one on the skyride and get to stand by the window, or you push and shove your way to a window location, you see nothing.No one moves and you can't walk around for the crowd. The view is spectacular if you are in the other part of the cable car. The other end hugs the mountain. We went last week on the "off season" too. That's too much money to spend to have a "repeat".

With your help, I believe that we may have a better experience in London.....providing the weather cooperates!

Again, thanks so much.
Cathy

Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:34 AM

We've been up Grouse Mountain a few times on the skyride, but it's been a few years, and I don't remember the crowds as much as the lumberjack contests we saw at the top!